Metal detecting in Cyprus.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Metal detecting in Cyprus.

Post by Chaddy »

Of course all keen metal detectorists have dreams of finding that hoard of gold resulting in a little windfall for themselves.THAT is in the UK...A friend of ours who is visiting this year says he is going to bring his highly sophisticated metal detector.This subject was brought up ( down at the pub of course ) and a couple of the well informed regulars said that what ever you find of ancient value here in Cyprus STAYS in Cyprus and you have to hand it over to the authorities and you get nowt for you lucky find.They say if you tried to get it out of the island you could well find yourself treated to a free stay at the Nicosia Hilton ( the nick )..Can anyone ellaberate on this ( on this forum not down the pub )/
WHL

Re: Metal detecting in Cyprus.

Post by WHL »

https://treasurehunters.co.za/forums/gr ... in-cyprus/

https://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/v ... p?t=117851

In addition to severely limiting the areas where detecting can take place, the Cyprus law states that anyone in possession of detectors without a licence and/or who uses these devices in areas other than those officially specified, could face a three year prison term and/or a fine of up to thirty thousand euros.17 May 2015
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I've got a metal detector but have never used it in Cyprus. Not worth the risk. You can get into serious trouble with one.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I've seen a guy going up and down Coral Bay Beach with a metal detector looking round the Loungers, he has the detector in one hand and Triangular net on a stick in the other.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I have contacted the Antiquities Dept in Nicosia to see if I can get a definitive answer to this.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It's illegal to use a metal detector in Cyprus. Advise your friend not even to bring it here.
Anyone caught using one, particularly anywhere near an archaeological site is liable to be arrested and at the least fined. It is strictly forbidden also to take any 'finds' out of the island.
Not worth the risk.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:35 pm It's illegal to use a metal detector in Cyprus. Advise your friend not even to bring it here.
Anyone caught using one, particularly anywhere near an archaeological site is liable to be arrested and at the least fined. It is strictly forbidden also to take any 'finds' out of the island.
Not worth the risk.
Dee
It is not illegal,
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It is unless a person has a permit.But the Antiquities Branch would be very unlikely to grant one. And certainly not to amateurs or tourists.
Dee
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Thanks for the replies,i think i will advice my friend NOT not to bring his beloved metal detector to Cyprus.And of course to inform my friends ( down at the pub ),
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:54 pm It is unless a person has a permit.But the Antiquities Branch would be very unlikely to grant one. And certainly not to amateurs or tourists.
Dee
You should of posted that to begin with, instead of claiming it is illegal full stop, and as for amatures not being granted licences , you are wrong again, try doing a bit of research, instead of making it up as you go along.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I got an answer from the Antiquities Department. Here it is:

SUBJECT: METAL DETECTING IN CYPRUS

I refer to your email, dated 17 January 2022, with regards to the requirements for the use of metal detectors in Cyprus and I would like to inform you the following:

(a) The possession of metal detectors is under the control of the Department of Antiquities. Anyone in possession of a metal detector is required to complete an application form of possession, which can be downloaded from the Department of Antiquities’ website (http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/DA/DA.nsf/All ... enDocument). The original, properly completed and signed, application form should be sent to the Director of the Department of Antiquities, together with an original Certificate of Clear Criminal Record recently obtained from the Police. The Department of Antiquities does not impose any fees for the processing of applications/issue of permits.

(b) Additional information regarding the provisions of the Antiquities Law 103(I)/2012 and Antiquities Regulations (266/2012) regarding the use of metal detectors, as well as the designated areas where the use of metal detectors is allowed (descriptions and maps) can be found in the Department’s website under Legislation (Department of Antiquities - Legislation (http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/DA/DA.nsf/DML ... enDocument). Of note, according to the current legislation, any person in possession of a metal detector without a license or who uses such device in areas other than those designated is liable to imprisonment up to 3 years or to a fine up to 30,000 euro or both.

To summarise:
Look here first: http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/DA/DA.nsf/All ... enDocument
Then look here: http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/DA/DA.nsf/DML ... enDocument
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I was right in as much as what I said about it being difficult to get approval for using a metal detector. And it is illegal to use a metal detector here unless you have the approval of the Dept of Antiquities.
There may be a few people who try to pursue this hobby. But without permission if you are
Caught there will be serious consequences.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No, you were wrong. You said it is illegal. It isn't. You said it is difficult to get approval. It isn't. You have to fill in a form and have proof from the police that you haven't got a criminal record.

You have to go through more hoops than that to fly a drone legally! I had to sit an online exam, and fork out money. The metal detector license is free.

However, before anybody gets too excited, the allowable areas are pretty much exclusively beaches. For instance:

geroskipou.jpg
geroskipou.jpg (232.43 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I thought Drones were registered up to a certain weight?
Have they changed the rules. I've registered two and never had to sit a test.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

All changed in 2021. It does depend on the weight though.

More info here:

https://drones.gov.cy/
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:14 pm I was right in as much as what I said about it being difficult to get approval for using a metal detector. And it is illegal to use a metal detector here unless you have the approval of the Dept of Antiquities.
There may be a few people who try to pursue this hobby. But without permission if you are
Caught there will be serious consequences.
Dee
Keep spinning
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:08 pm All changed in 2021. It does depend on the weight though.

More info here:

https://drones.gov.cy/
Would you tell me where you obtained the permanent ID tag for your Quad.
It's the first I've heard of the new regulations, I registered mine a couple of years ago and that was it as far as I was aware.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Permanent marker pen. :)