Health care in Cyprus.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Health care in Cyprus.

Post by Chaddy »

A friend of ours was up all night suffering terrible pain down her right leg.Nine o,clock the morning after she phoned her doctor and was given an appointment at 10.30.Diagnosed with sciatica she was given a perscription,went right to the chemist,got the perscription and was back home at 11.30. Where else in the world would you get this service? ( the NHS? ).
Oh,the down side,,the perscription cost her,,,,,,,,,2 euros. :(
WHL

Re: Health care in Cyprus.

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:41 pm A friend of ours was up all night suffering terrible pain down her right leg.Nine o,clock the morning after she phoned her doctor and was given an appointment at 10.30.Diagnosed with sciatica she was given a perscription,went right to the chemist,got the perscription and was back home at 11.30. Where else in the world would you get this service? ( the NHS? ).
Oh,the down side,,the perscription cost her,,,,,,,,,2 euros. :(
Me and the wife had our annual eye check ups, we were both hooked up to half a dozen machines, tested for eye pressure and all sorts, finally had a scan that looks at the back of your eye, professionally done with a smile, into the chemists for an eye drop and a cream, all for under 4 euro.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Yes indeed the healthcare here in Cyprus is not bad at all. A few weeks ago I saw my GP about a raised spot behind my ear. She gave me a referral to a surgeon at the Iasis. So I popped down there and sat outside his room. I then went in to see him and he said it would be best to remove it and if I went in the examination room he would do it there and then, and he did.. I asked how much I owed him, and it was not even the usual 6 euros because I had reached my 150 euros limit.. I just had to go back a week later for stitches to be removed..

Also when I have blood tests now, I go to the Iasis hospital... You are in and out in 5 minutes..
Many on here will remember going to the General Hospital for a blood test and getting a 'deli' ticket.. Then queueing for the phials that the blood goes in. Then queueing again outside the blood lab door with dozens of other people clutching a numbered deli ticket. Thank goodness all history now
Trev..
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yes the health care is good here, I saw a doctor about my knee yesterday and he sent me for an X ray there and then, and next Monday for a CT scan for my right knee.

Pity the legal system is not as fast at there job!

:lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Wensbry wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:33 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:54 pm

At the meeting Dr Savvas arranged for two replacement knees, one at a time on his recommendation. First op should take place within a month.

Absolutely brilliant system and tip-top service and treatment. Plus choice of doctor and consultant wherever you go.

As Chaddy says, where else in the World? Thank goodness we recently cancelled our hugely expensive medical insurance.
Our friend had a virtually identical experience about a month ago and I agree it is a first class system. Unfortunately he has now been told that due to COVID they cannot say when his new knee will be done.

The other longer term issue is that it appears the Government have finally woken up to the fact that GESY cannot possibly survive with the current abuses within the system and changes will need to be made.
There will have to be changes to costing, the system as is now, can not continue, expect to pay more in the future.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I don't doubt that it is correct to say it will cost more in the future. But remember what it was like before Gesy. You had to pay to see a GP.. But look at all the prescription medicines that people got from the hospital Pharmacy for almost nothing..
People have to pay a lot more for prescriptions every month.. And those working have to contribute with taxes.
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:52 pm I don't doubt that it is correct to say it will cost more in the future. But remember what it was like before Gesy. You had to pay to see a GP.. But look at all the prescription medicines that people got from the hospital Pharmacy for almost nothing..
People have to pay a lot more for prescriptions every month.. And those working have to contribute with taxes.
Im still working and I pay, I have no problem paying an increased charge, because it is still alot cheaper then when I was paying 50 euros to see the GP, and over a hundred euros to have my annual blood tests.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Not like the UK then, my wife had a swollen ankle, tried calling the Dr's but they are not taking calls just now please send an e message on their app,
She did this, 2 days later she got a text with a link asking her to send a photo, this she did, 3 days later she got a message saying it looks like she needs to see a doctor, they will put her on the list and will contact her with appointment, they hope this will be within 5 to 7 weeks?????
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

glang3000 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:16 pm Not like the UK then, my wife had a swollen ankle, tried calling the Dr's but they are not taking calls just now please send an e message on their app,
She did this, 2 days later she got a text with a link asking her to send a photo, this she did, 3 days later she got a message saying it looks like she needs to see a doctor, they will put her on the list and will contact her with appointment, they hope this will be within 5 to 7 weeks?????
That's just terrible, and is it legal? I thought there were time limits on how long you had to wait to see a GP in the UK.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Perhaps there is some cunning plan to slowly kill us old buggers off in the UK
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that the Gesy healthcare is marvellous. But although it is very cheap to us as patients, I can imagine that the cost of all the consultations, scans, operations, subsidised physio and also,prescriptions comes at a huge cost to the Government.
I also wonder if and for how long Cyprus can foot the cost? I hope that a way can be found, though it might mean that charges may either have to be increased or treatments rationed, possibly.
I have kept my private health insurance for now as a safeguard both here and for when I'm visiting the UK.
Dee
daveg

Post by daveg »

I may be wrong here, but I assumed that us retired Brits healthcare via GESY is paid by the UK ?...
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

daveg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:45 pm I may be wrong here, but I assumed that us retired Brits healthcare via GESY is paid by the UK ?...
Yes,someone said ( down the pub of course ) that the UK did foot the bill for us Brits healthcare here.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Just as they did before Gesy if you used the state healthcare, ie the General hospital doctors.
Trev..