Lidl and Superhome Centre to open in old Orphanides Mall ??

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Ams

Lidl and Superhome Centre to open in old Orphanides Mall ??

Post by Ams »

No idea if this is true or not...

https://pafos24.com/%ce%ad%cf%84%ce%bf% ... oX_E2pOTg

Ready for cohabitation Lidl and Superhome Center!
January 12, 2022

According to information from Alpha, the investors who bought Paphos Mall (Orphanides), are proceeding with a total facelift of the building in order to turn it into a shopping center.

There are three companies in the housing discussions with investors. These are the Superhome Center department store, the Lidl supermarkets as well as the French clothing company Kiabi, which recently opened its first store inside the Larnaca shopping center.

The project will be ready in about 8 months and will cover 8,000 square meters.

It will have an underground car park with a capacity of 600 cars and a floor for housing the shops.

An additional 20,000 square meters located in the area can be used in the future for the development of further businesses for the purpose and commercial revitalization of the area.

The property ended up in the hands of Astrobank after the liquidation of the Orphanides supermarkets. The bank sold the property to cover the debts of the supermarket chain to its creditors.

The bank set as a reserve price the amount of around € 11,000,000, an amount that was adequately covered by the buyers.

Source: Alphanews
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Lidl and Superhome Centre to open in old Orphanides Mall ??

Post by Dominic »

With the new bypass running right next to it this could be a good investment.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Oh well. Ams beat my post by 4 minutes.
The Mall has been closed for around nine years so something needs to bedone with it. Orphanides was our supermarket of choice and it was a shame it shut down.
All we need now is a company to reopen Planet P at the back of Alpha Mega.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Great, pity its not an Aldi though
David
josef k

Post by josef k »

Lidl, Superhome, and Kiabi all in the old Paphos Mall? The building isn't big enough unless they expand into the car park. That, together with the suggestion of underground parking (which doesn't exist at the moment), means complete demolition and new-build in my view.

It also suggests that Superhome Centre don't expect to continue at their present site just down the road, once the time given by the court to get their licences in order runs out.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:40 pm Oh well. Ams beat my post by 4 minutes.
The Mall has been closed for around nine years so something needs to bedone with it. Orphanides was our supermarket of choice and it was a shame it shut down.
All we need now is a company to reopen Planet P at the back of Alpha Mega.
Or at least let me in to have a wander with my camera.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

josef k wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:13 pm That, together with the suggestion of underground parking (which doesn't exist at the moment), means complete demolition and new-build in my view.
So what happened to the underground parking that was there when I used to shop at Orphanides and the adjacent shoe shop?
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

PW in Polemi wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:31 pm
josef k wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:13 pm That, together with the suggestion of underground parking (which doesn't exist at the moment), means complete demolition and new-build in my view.
So what happened to the underground parking that was there when I used to shop at Orphanides and the adjacent shoe shop?
Yes, I can remember accessing the undercover parking area - you used to keep driving straight on from the entrance down a ramp - whereas you turned right to access the uncovered parking area adjacent to the entrance doors.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

You must have caught them on a bad day, usually similar to Lidl.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I can promise you they are not all like that. Although I dont shop there "correction, I dont shop at all" I spent a couple of days at Aldi in Hinckley before Christmas in aid of the British Legion. Amount collected over 2 weeks was £26,000 so it struck me that people who choose such places because they may be cheaper are also very generous. Had a look around the store & not a thing out of place. Could go on about staff curtesy, facilities, parking etc but enough said
Ams

Post by Ams »

galexinda wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:50 pm
Yes, I can remember accessing the undercover parking area - you used to keep driving straight on from the entrance down a ramp - whereas you turned right to access the uncovered parking area adjacent to the entrance doors.
Me too, there was a huge underground parking area, but hardly anyone used it. Everyone used to park at the front of the building and few even bothered to drive round to the much emptier parking at the back, let alone down to the underground level.

I'd have thought the underground parking is still there, so even if they expand into the top carpark there would still be plenty of parking (bearing in mind the top had both front and back).

It would be good if we had a slightly bigger Superhome centre, though of course they may want to move because of permit issues and not to get more space. I may even shop at Lidl if it opens there. I don't know Kiabi but know it's popular in Malta. I think the quality is not great but prices are good - my sister said it was very useful for fast growing children where you don't need clothes to last for years.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:52 pm

eg. mens underpants next to Christmas cake, lol.
I don't see a problem with that, s long as the underpants were clean :D :D :D
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Interesting news, as someone said, its good that at last someone has bought the old Orphanides- Paphos Mall. As I remember it, the supermarket took up all the space on the left side of the complex. On the right side, there were several smaller shops. I remember that Beautyline had one of them. In order to accommodate both Lidl and Superhome, it would seem possible that part of the lower floor previously used as a car park could be converted to house one of these larger outlets. There is still quite a lot of outdoor car parking area.
One nice thing about this shopping centre was that a long escalator set at a gentle slope was installed for use by all shoppers, and wide enough to accomodate supermarket trollies.
Dee
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

galexinda wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:50 pm
I heard that before they went bust Orphanides were planning to install some pavements to encourage more Cypriots to park there.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
josef k

Post by josef k »

Um, well that's embarrassing. I always parked on the surface and never knew it was there. Note to self - be more observant.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

No need yo knock it down! Just re-furbishing. New shops will fit and make good any defects that time has created.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It seemed quite modern when we were using it, and certainly the underground car park was a really good bonus
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:09 pm
josef k wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:13 pm...That, together with the suggestion of underground parking (which doesn't exist at the moment), means complete demolition and new-build in my view.

With 10 years of non-use and neglect, the place does need knocking down and re-building to suit the purposes of the likely new tenants.
I'm sure there would have been a maintenance team looking after it, Astra Bank wouldn't let an asset like that fall apart.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:09 pm
josef k wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:13 pm...That, together with the suggestion of underground parking (which doesn't exist at the moment), means complete demolition and new-build in my view.

With 10 years of non-use and neglect, the place does need knocking down and re-building to suit the purposes of the likely new tenants.
I'm sure there would have been a maintenance team looking after it, Astra Bank wouldn't let an asset like that fall apart.
For sure. You only have to look at it to see that it hasn't been neglected for the last ten years.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The Paphos Mall building was newly built when it opened. It also appeared solidly built. Hopefully it can be completely refurbished and adapted to its new users, there should also be some space left for any alterations that may be needed. As well as underground parking! When re opened, it will have excellent road links too. As it is close to both the highway and the new Gereskipou by pass.

Dee