Lidl and Superhome Centre to open in old Orphanides Mall ??

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: Lidl and Superhome Centre to open in old Orphanides Mall ??

Post by Kili01 »

You are right, HIC. I hadn't looked at it from Lidl's angle. But somehow if what we read about the companies who are involved is true, we'll have to wait & see how 3 different enterprises will want their new retail properties to look. Possibly, SuperHome may want to move quicker, if their time on their present site is now limited. If they all decide to demolish and rebuild from scratch, the whole thing from the planning stage to completion with probably take several years.

Dee
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Loads of underground parking already exists. The Orphanides was pretty big and the other side had 4 or 5 shops so a bit of reconfiguring might do it.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:40 pm The point I am try to make is that most successful large retailers have a standard blueprint for how they like their stores constructed and laid out. Both of the Lidl stores in Paphos were built ground-up to their standard format, as was the largest Lidl store in Limassol. Retailers like this don't normally 'make do and mend' with a previous retailer's architecture and layout. It might be that the old Orphanides supermarket will work for Superhome as their enterprises and scale are broadly similiar, but other retailers may be looking for a fresh start. Clearly, in time, we will find out.
Yes they do.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/30/anger-wa ... -10487902/

The article itself is quite funny.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It would be quite easy to build a Lidl store on either the front car park or the rear upper level car park., both areas are more than adequate to take a standard Lidl store. Also as said Lidl has a standard layout so all plans are already available so building a new Lidl store would take less than 12 months.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I would imagine that parking would be a bit of a premium though.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

This is from the original advert when it opened
"The new mall, located on the busy Demokratias Ave., covers an area of 30,000 sq.m. and has parking space for 1,000 cars"
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Yes Trev, lots of parking, there are two levels at the back, one level under the Mall and a ground level area at the front. We used to park underneath as it was usually empty.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I always parked underneath the Mall. As you say it was so convenient.Returning to a cooler car in summer was a bonus. It was surprising that very few motorists seemed to use it. Most parked their vehicles outside, as close to the main doors of the Mall as they could! At that time there was virtually no other covered parking available at other stores in Paphos.

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The only problem that I can see is Lidl's policy of selling both garden tools, and d-i- power tools & materials with their special offers, at such low prices that their own brand will probably be much cheaper than Superhomes stock... this doesn't seem to matter so much as their stores are well spaced from Superhome. At least at present.

Dee
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

Noticed as I drove by that they have started outside clearing up rubbish and removing some barriers at the old Mall.
I am surprised no one has thought to use the Orphanides Express building opposite the Police and fire station.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

bmwx5 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am Noticed as I drove by that they have started outside clearing up rubbish and removing some barriers at the old Mall.
I am surprised no one has thought to use the Orphanides Express building opposite the Police and fire station.
Where to park?
Louise :)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

They had their own car park around the back and some spaces on the right of the building.
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We used to go when it was called Philips, lots of parking spaces.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well, I also remember when Philips had it. Although the building was smaller than say Paps at Ellados Ave,the supermarket was downstairs where they had some products not available in other stores. While upstairs they had an excellent selection of other kinds of useful things for the home and garden. I was sad when they went.
I hope another exterprise will take over this building, and yes, there is (or was) plenty of car parking space behind it.
Dee