Courier Service

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Arrowhire

Courier Service

Post by Arrowhire »

I have just bought a new PC and want to bring it to Polis to replace my old one.
What is the best method for sending this item? What will I have to pay viz a viz duty and/or taxes?
Thanks
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Courier Service

Post by Dominic »

I suggest you provide a bit more information first. Where are you shipping it from? If it is the UK, it all depends on how soon you need it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Hi Arrowwire
Since you have already bought your computer what I have to say will be of little help to you . But may be of interest to other members.

On the 29 Dec 21 I ordered the computer below from Amazon UK. It was delivered on 8 Jan to my home by UPS. It is not an all in one and consists of the desktop pc plus wired mouse and keyboard. For the money it is high spec. The processor alone is sold here in cyprus for over 400 euros. It updates to windows 11. You will note that the total cost was 495.55. This is really by the way and I have two points to make.

1) I paid standard postage which was £30 knowing it was highly likely that Amazon would send it by UPS and they did.

2) The total cost was not much more than I would have paid if I had it delivered to a UK address. I think that this is because the item is dispatched from Amazon EU even though it was ordered from Amazon UK.

This particular computer is currently out of stock.

Lastly I just placed another order with Amazon Uk and paid by Visa even though I had had an email from Amazon telling me that they no longer accept visa payments. I presume they resolved the issue they had with visa.

So, in conclusion buying from Amazon Uk is still worthwhile especially if you cant get what you want here in Cyprus

Lenovo IdeaCentre 5 Desktop PC - (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home) - All-in-One Computer, Wired Mouse and Keyboard (Mineral G
Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L. Order Total: £495.55

Gerry g
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

I should have said that I do not buy anything from other vendors at Amazon unless Amazon process and despatch the order themselves . To do so will lead to the item being sent by a courier other than UPS and it will likely take forever to arrive . Plus you will probably have to pay duty.

And if I did not make myself clear earlier ordering from Amazon themselves will usually mean it comes by UPS even though you pay standard postage and you will probably not pay duty because it will be sent through their Global or Eu branches.

Gerry g
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How much duty did you have to pay?

Incidentally, I have removed the irrelevant posts. If you want to argue about Brexit, just start a thread in Politics.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Hi Dominic
It is a pity that the computer I bought is now out of stock since I cannot remember the original price. However , I do know that no duty was shown when I paid, merely the price and the postage which as I have said was £30. And I did not pay any duty to Ups or anyone else in Cyprus.
An easy way to find out more if you are interested would be to go to Amazon uk ,put a computer in your basket to be delivered to your home and see what comes up. I am pretty certain it will be just the Uk price plus postage.
Hope this helps.
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

HI Dominic
Just seen the computer I bought back on sale at amazon uk for £460 so plus postage it will com e close to what I paid ie £495.

gerryg
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But how do you make SURE that it is dispatched from an EU country ???
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:19 pm But how do you make SURE that it is dispatched from an EU country ???
I don´t know about Amazon, but ebay tells you where things are shipped from. You can even choose to be shown only items shipped from within the EU.
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Hi Trev
You cant be sure. However I have ordered several items from Amazon uk ( not other sellers on amazon but Amazon themselves) recently and all have come by Ups even though I only paid for standard delivery. This morning I ordered an astonishing cheap Rowenta air purifier for £34 . Standard postage was £28 . Tonight I got an email from Amazon saying it had been despatched through Ups. This is what I expected to happen but Trev I was not and could not be sure.

HI Jeba

I am trying to show members how they can get goods like computers quickly , cheaply, and without duty. None of this can be achieved through ebay.

Gerryg