Paphos the New Wild West

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Paphos the New Wild West

Post by WHL »

I always had Paphos down as a gentile part of Cyprus, it seems that the Syrian population have taken to the streets to settle scores amongst themselves, apart from kicking the Sh*t out of each other, they attacked passing cars etc, it took the Police to firing warning shots in the air to disperse them, a word of warning to these Syrian chaps, the Cypriots are on the whole quite accommodating to foreigners, but it wont take much more of these scenes, to get them out on the streets, to put a stop to this nonsense, as happened back in the day in Limassol when the large Lebanese population started acting this way, if I remember correctly the Cypriot youths took action and a lot of Lebanese ended up in A&E with cracked sculls'.

brengreen

Re: Paphos the New Wild West

Post by brengreen »

Perhaps you could tell me whereabouts this is happen8ng so I can avoid the area when driving by myself. Thanks
memory man

Post by memory man »

I think it's Chlorakas.
WHL

Post by WHL »

brengreen wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:44 am Perhaps you could tell me whereabouts this is happen8ng so I can avoid the area when driving by myself. Thanks
There you go just translate to English

https://www.sigmalive.com/news/local/89 ... ta-politon
staffie

Post by staffie »

very helpful for any prepectives property buyers, I wonder what would happen if this conduct happened outside the presidents house, (no doubt swift action).
Paul

Post by Paul »

If there going to go on like this in Cyprus then it's time to find them and revoke there residency, and deport them out of the country.
If they have no residency then still deport them.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I seem to remember this kind of thing happening a year or so ago in the same area, it fizzled out in shortly afterwards.
David
memory man

Post by memory man »

Isn't that why a portable police station was erected next to Hellenic bank in Chlorakas?
memory man

Post by memory man »

Man arrested after Chlorakas violent incident

A 24-year-old man was arrested during Paphos police investigations into a brawl that involved 150 people throwing rocks and pieces of wood late on Tuesday.

Police said they received information around 6.50pm about a fight among tenants of an apartment complex in Chlorakas who were allegedly throwing rocks at parked cars.

Officers responding to the scene were also reportedly pelted with rocks during their attempts to intervene, which forced them to fire warning shots into the air to break up the crowd.

Police called for reinforcements, but the crowd dispersed upon their arrival.

During investigations, officers found and arrested a 24-year-old man walking nearby with a knife in his possession.

They also discovered a damaged car that was upside down.

According to the car’s owner, he was inside his car in cul de sac around 6.30pm when several people holding pieces of wood and other objects approached the vehicle and started hitting the vehicle. The man said he fled the scene, abandoning his car.

Chlorakas community leader Nicolas Liasides had called on the state to intervene and close down the complex, which was reportedly ordered to close by the Paphos district administration.

The building “is operating illegally with 500 to 600 people living there, among them asylum seekers,” he said.

The incident comes a day after a massive brawl in Paphos that resulted in two hospitalisations, six arrests and property damage.

It is not clear if the two incidents are linked.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/01/05/man- ... -incident/

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/01/05/two- ... hos-brawl/
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Something is wrong when people are being rented properties in a building with a prohibition of use order and with no water supply. I have evidence of this and it’s appalling.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
memory man

Post by memory man »

Six persons arrested during coordinated police operation at Chloraka

Yesterday a coordinated operation took place aiming to police the community of Chloraka. Members of various Police departments conducted checks in houses, apartment buildings, vehicles and persons. On the basis of court warrants, four people were arrested in relation to the incidents that took place in Paphos and Chloraka between 3 and 4 January.

Furthermore, a 33-year-old woman was also arrested regarding a case of breaking into a house that took place earlier yesterday in Paphos. During a search at the woman’s car, property was found believed to have been stolen. The property was later identified by the owner of the house that was broken into.

Another person was also arrested believed to have been involved in thefts.

Finally, 380 cars were stopped, 51 were searched, 68 people were interrogated while there were 29 fines.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/six-per ... -chloraka/

Four more arrests in connection with Paphos brawls during police night-time sweep

Police arrested six people in Chlorakas, Paphos during a sweep by various law enforcement agencies on Wednesday night following two brawls in previous days.

Four of those arrested were detained in connection with the two separate incidents. The other two arrests were suspected burglars caught up in the sweep.

The operation with Paphos police and members of the anti-riot unit MMAD and other directorates, was carried out between 5pm and midnight on Wednesday.

During Wednesday night’s operation, houses, apartment complexes, vehicles and people were searched.

Four men aged 40, 25, 21 and 18, were arrested to facilitate the investigations into the incidents that took place in Paphos and in Chlorakas on January 3 and 4, police said.

Late Tuesday, a 24-year-old man was arrested during investigations into a brawl that involved 150 people throwing rocks and pieces of wood in Chlorakas.

Police received information around 6.50pm about a fight among tenants of an apartment complex who were allegedly throwing rocks at parked cars.

Responding officers were reportedly pelted with rocks during their attempts to intervene, which forced them to fire warning shots into the air to break up the crowd.

They called for reinforcements after which the crowd dispersed but a 24-year-old walking by was caught with a knife and arrested, police said.

Chlorakas community leader Nicolas Liasides had called on the state to intervene and close down the complex, which was reportedly ordered to close by the Paphos district administration.

The building “is operating illegally with 500 to 600 people living there, among them asylum seekers,” he said.

The Chlorakas incident came a day after a massive brawl in Paphos that resulted in two hospitalisations, six arrests and property damage resulting in six arrests

Paphos district court on Wednesday ordered seven-day remands for two people in connection with the massive brawl on Monday night in the town centre.

The two men, aged 46 and 44, were arrested on Tuesday as part of the investigations.

Four other other men were remanded for eight days on Tuesday by Paphos district court, in connection with the case.

The first two remanded were two men, aged 17 and 25, arrested on Monday evening.

Two others, aged 20 and 22, were detained at Paphos general hospital, one of whom had suffered broken ribs and had to undergo surgery, the other a broken left arm.

They later faced the court, which met in the hospital, and also issued them eight-day remands.

The four men face being charged with conspiracy to commit a crime, harassment, assault and grievous bodily harm.

Initially it had been reported that two groups totalling 50 people were involved but the number was later reduced to 25.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/01/06/four ... ime-sweep/
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Sounds like an Elvis Presley song....

Something to do with an angry young man and cold Chicago.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:29 am Sounds like an Elvis Presley song....

Something to do with an angry young man and cold Chicago.
No its sounds like a bunch of angry blokes, who disrespect the country that has given them refuge.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I was also pestered by a young man selling windscreen wiper blades in the same carpark as you.It's disgraceful that the authorities don't (or can't) move these youths out of that overcrowded block of flats. I thought that when these youths caused trouble in Chloraka nearly a year ago they were supposed to be moved away from there.
It's a pity that the trouble makers can't or haven't been deported.
As it is I'm relieved that I don't live close by.

Dee
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

mouse wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:05 pm This is very worrying I live in Chloraka , about 100m up the hill from the Railway pub, over the past couple of weeks I have noticed on many many occasions either police standing or a patrol car parked at the same place next to where the charity shop used to be . I found it strange and do not know why , or maybe I do now !
The two police cars are there all day and night as they are providing "protective Cover" for a family who are assisiting the police.
All things are possible
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

mouse wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:05 pm This is very worrying I live in Chloraka , about 100m up the hill from the Railway pub, over the past couple of weeks I have noticed on many many occasions either police standing or a patrol car parked at the same place next to where the charity shop used to be . I found it strange and do not know why , or maybe I do now !
The two police cars are there all day and night as they are providing "protective Cover" for a family who are assisiting the police. The family are providing state witness.
All things are possible
staffie

Post by staffie »

keep an eye on your wipers, as I've watched they damage them on cars as they try to sell you knocked off ones, they rip the end of the wiper, to show you its damaged.
myself I've had to use harsh language to keep them away from our car, one occasion I phoned the misses while she was in the fruit market to get the manager out, security soon cleared them off. they are too cleaver for the police to catch them as they always have getaway car nearby.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thanks for your warning Staffie. In fact I've started using 'big' Paps on Ellados Ave.They seem to have more staff, and often have one of them outside in the car park area. Their car park at the Chloraka store is further away from the store and more secluded with the trees...
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

We were being harrassed at Lidls, complained to the staff, nothing done, sent an email to Lidl HQ, no beggars, no scammers for months now, complain to the top boys, they don't like bad publicity.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, the "running away from a warzone" look is so gauche.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.