Paphos the New Wild West

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
The Aquila

Re: Paphos the New Wild West

Post by The Aquila »

Tanny wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:19 am
they were supposed to be moved away from there.
quoted at 600-700 people. Where would you have them move to?
Back to Syria!

If they were families with children then I would be more sympathetic but these are unruly yobs!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Syria hasn't been invaded, so there is no common enemy that could unite the country together, like there was in Britain in WW2. From what I can make out, it is a civil war.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
staffie

Post by staffie »

Refugees sent back to their own country are often killed on their return.

well they should behave themselves while their status is sorted, as you probably remember we had similar problems with roudy migrants so at out loss, we had to move, at our cost, and I can say with experience, with proper channels you get nowhere, it's not much fun.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

It is obvious that accommodating a large number of people in one area would create a problem, especially when there such is a difference in cultural and religious backgrounds and this, combined with the terms and conditions under which these people are supposed to eke out an existence with few job prospects let alone a decent chance to better themselves, is hardly the fault of the residents in these areas.

Many have integrated well into the community but for others much more support is required and that has to come from the Cyprus government and international agencies.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

How can it be our fault, the Brits have no say in Cypriot politics, we are not allowed to vote, and since Brexit we will not be allowed to vote in the village elections either.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Sheer Khan wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:51 pm How can it be our fault, the Brits have no say in Cypriot politics, we are not allowed to vote, and since Brexit we will not be allowed to vote in the village elections either.
If you really want to have a vote , get Cypriot citizenship, join the club and get the benefits.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You say that as if it is an easy, non-convoluted process.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:25 pm You say that as if it is an easy, non-convoluted process.
You are correct Dominic, it is a long and convoluted and expensive process, but if you want to settle in a country, and have all the benefits, that country gives to its citizens, including one of the most important ones, having the right to vote for its president/ Government, then you need to take out citizenship, its not an automatic given in the majority of countries on the planet.
staffie

Post by staffie »

The 11 accused for the Paphos incidents have been released.

beware, there back on the streets.
WHL

Post by WHL »

staffie wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:46 pm The 11 accused for the Paphos incidents have been released.

beware, there back on the streets.
I wouldnt worry about them, im sure the Cyprus police have had a ''word'' in their ear.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'The court decided €15,000 bail for each suspect who will also be placed on the government’s ‘stop list’ prohibiting them from leaving the Republic or crossing to the north. The suspects will also have to appear at Paphos central police station once a week'.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/01/12/four ... ice-sweep/
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Re... "The court decided €15,000 bail for each suspect " I thought Bail was money you had to deposit with the court in case you absconded before the trial.. Am I wrong about this ???
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I wonder where they get 15,000 each ???
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

A few years ago one boat person from Syria, on being searched when they landed ,had over 100,000 us dollars in her black bin bag, I know the person that searched her.