Who will do it?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Who will do it?

Post by Devil »

Who will be the first member here to get caught by the new traffic lights system, starting on Sunday? Come on! Own up!
Kili01

Re: Who will do it?

Post by Kili01 »

Does anyone know where the new traffic cameras are situated? Are they mainly in Nicosia at present? Just interested.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well at least if you pay attention you can see them
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

The beauty is that they record if you are using a mobile while driving or if wearing a seatbelt or not. Great news.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I want to know if Police Cars will also get flashed. I've often seen a policeman talking on the phone while driving.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

No need to panic, unless your driving thru Nicosia.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

When the cameras start I would think they will catch many many people.
By the way... has anyone even seen any new fixed cameras at any junctions in Paphos ???
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

People will soon adjust their driving habits , nothing like a juicy fine to concentrate the mind, I recently got a 100e fine for parking on the opposite flow of traffic, have I done it again, no chance.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I can understand the reasoning about not parking on the 'Wrong' side of the road.. But it is something that happens a lot here in Cyprus.. By the way 100 euros is a lot :-(
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:45 am I can understand the reasoning about not parking on the 'Wrong' side of the road.. But it is something that happens a lot here in Cyprus.. By the way 100 euros is a lot :-(
I was parked in a parking bay put money in the meter, so I thought I was Kosher, unfortunately parking against the flow of traffic is illegal ( I was unaware of this) yes we see it all the time, but you park there with the risk of getting a fine, not only a 100e fine for me but also a couple of points on the license, so beware folks.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

mouse wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:02 am Devil , new traffic lights system Huh! Oh you mean stopping at the line and not running red lights , yup tough call for some.
I just hope the stop lines are repainted, as some are very worn and hard to see!
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

I believe the traffic cameras are similar to those used in the UK and will have ANPR facility. So insurance will need to be upto date as will MOT.
I read somewhere that notices will be displayed on the approach to fixed camera sites.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:45 am I can understand the reasoning about not parking on the 'Wrong' side of the road.. But it is something that happens a lot here in Cyprus.. By the way 100 euros is a lot :-(
I was watching a YouTube video the other day about an American couple who had moved to the U.K. and were talking about their experiences. One thing they mentioned was that they were surprised how many people park opposite the flow of traffic in the U.K. compared to the US. They described it as an instant ticket / tow away, not sure which state it was though if there are differences in traffic regs across the US, no idea, never been.

Makes you think about what you perceive as normal or bad. It’s always one of my bugbears and in my mind it’s worse here than in the U.K., but their perception is that we are bad at it as well relative to their ‘normal’.

Ian
WHL

Post by WHL »

PolemIan wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:37 am
I was watching a YouTube video the other day about an American couple who had moved to the U.K. and were talking about their experiences. One thing they mentioned was that they were surprised how many people park opposite the flow of traffic in the U.K. compared to the US. They described it as an instant ticket / tow away, not sure which state it was though if there are differences in traffic regs across the US, no idea, never been.

Makes you think about what you perceive as normal or bad. It’s always one of my bugbears and in my mind it’s worse here than in the U.K., but their perception is that we are bad at it as well relative to their ‘normal’.

Ian
Just googled this, Rule 248 of the Highway Code states 'you MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognized parking space' and not many motorists are aware of this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rules.html
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

This article states where the cameras were to be installed but is dated August 2019.
https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/traffic ... installed/

To save you reading the whole thing:
Traffic cameras in Larnaca and Paphos will be installed during the second phase.
In Paphos, four cameras will be installed at the junction of Y Kranidiotis and G Savva Avenues, four at the junction of Elladas Avenues with Demokratias and Tassos Papadopoulos Avenues, four at the junction of Ayios Anargyron Avenues with Spyros Kyprianou and Agapinoros Avenues and two at the junction of Athinon and Christodoulos Sozou Avenues.

There are a couple of articles on Cyprus Driving taken from the Cyprus Mail:

http://cyprusdriving.net/first-traffic- ... prus-mail/
https://cyprusdriving.net/traffic-camer ... prus-mail/

In the second article under, “Q: Will the owner have access to the company’s website”, the website is wrong & should be: https://cycamerasystem.com.cy