Cold last night.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

Cold last night.

Post by Paul »

It must have been very cold last night as my water pump would run but no pressure at the tap.
I think the water must have been frozen in the pipes, this was around 9.30 last night and this morning.
All is working again now.
Paul
:roll:
trevnhil

Re: Cold last night.

Post by trevnhil »

It was cold, but I would be surprised if it was cold enough to freeze the water in the outside pipes, or in the pump.
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

My electricity failed at 6.40am. So I had to dress in a v cold house! At the time I had 2x 1kw heaters on and a 9000 btw inverter aircon on. The strange thing was that none of the individual fuses had shorted and the main switch in the fuse box was still in the ‘on’ position.
I rang my electricion who suggested I should ring the EAC faults. Although EAC seemed certain the fault was In my house, they sent an emergency crew.
They came a few hours later. They told me that they had changed a 40amp fuse in my electricity meter.
The electricity is now on touch wood!
But my electricity meter looks archaic, and gave the same symptom last August when my house had another power cut. As I was away, the only thing on was my fridge/ deep freezer…
Any thoughts in what I should do? My electrician says my house should be OK as the fuse box in the house isn’t tripping and it is earthed?
Would appreciate any helpful advice, please?
Thanks.
Dee
kansas

Post by kansas »

I can't help with advice Dee but hope that everything is OK for you from now on. For us this is the coldest run-up to Christmas since we moved here 17 years ago. All our heating goes on from mid-afternoon until we go to bed.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We have electric blanket on before bed and an electric heater on whit turns on /off automaticly according to the temperature-nice and cosy.
All things are possible
memory man

Post by memory man »

Central heating for us works well.

Keeps whole house warm ( and us ).
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

At the moment because they are Sunny days, I am just having the heating on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night. In fact I turned the heating off before an hour had gone by, because the living room is 21c
Trev..
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Dee: I think you'll find that the fuses inside a house - certainly older ones (10+ years) - are for overload only. That's why they rarely trip. The main fuse - often outside the property or in a communal area - is a safety fuse which trips more frequently.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thanks for that, David. I'll take a closer look at the fuses in the fuse box tomorrow, but I think that the internal fuse box and the box itself were updated less than 5 years ago. It's the meter itself which belongs to EAC and is situated in a remote part of the complex which looks antideluvian But the CYTA emergency crew who arrived last Friday showed no interest in this. All they said that they did was replace a 40amp fuse there.
I wonder if anyone here ever gets their electricity meter + box renewed or better still replaced? Also is it possible to ask for your meter to be moved from a difficult to get to place to one closer to the house?

Thanks for any help or suggestions..

Dee