Recycling what a joke

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
AFJ

Recycling what a joke

Post by AFJ »

We have been doing our bit putting all plastics out ready for the bin men to pick up on Monday mornings, but this morning all the plastics in a plastic bin, they refused to take any of it, said they weren't in a bag, so all left on the pavement, now it's all in the garbage to be picked up. That's me finished. Rant over.
Jenny
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Recycling what a joke

Post by Dominic »

Alternatively you could just bag them up as requested.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
AFJ

Post by AFJ »

They picked everything we left out before even a bucket full, he ho
Jenny
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

Most villages have recycling bins for different wastes, paper , plastics glass etc but it seems a number of individuals seem to think they can just dump any old waste next to the bins old bed mattresses, garden waste, tyres, old furniture etc which will not be removed by the bin men so remains there for weeks
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Bags in all supermarkets including new ones from Greet Dot made from 80% recycled materials. Advice from the Green Dot website https://greendot.com.cy/en/pmd-and-pap ... oor-paper/

Please don’t give up Jenny!

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
WHL

Post by WHL »

AFJ wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:23 pm We have been doing our bit putting all plastics out ready for the bin men to pick up on Monday mornings, but this morning all the plastics in a plastic bin, they refused to take any of it, said they weren't in a bag, so all left on the pavement, now it's all in the garbage to be picked up. That's me finished. Rant over.
Jenny
To be fair to the bin men, they are on a tight schedule, as they wizz around the streets, picking up a bag full of waste is alot quicker for them, then to look through bins to sort out what's what.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I see their point!
But today, while out for lunch with a group of people, we were talking about recycling waste.
While others were saying they were very careful to bag their waste carefully by type, one person said he had seen all types of waste being dumped by the refuse collection lorries in the same land fill. Which if true is rather depressing as Cyprus is about to be fined for not observing the EU regulations once again.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:24 pm Yes, I see their point!
But today, while out for lunch with a group of people, we were talking about recycling waste.
While others were saying they were very careful to bag their waste carefully by type, one person said he had seen all types of waste being dumped by the refuse collection lorries in the same land fill. Which if true is rather depressing as Cyprus is about to be fined for not observing the EU regulations once again.
Dee
This mate of yours,, does he make a habit of hanging around land fills?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The person who said this is "not a mate of mine" as you imply! This was a comment from a man who was part of a P3A group who were having an early Christmas meal together after a group lecture. We were just chatting about various aspects of life here.

Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:22 pm The person who said this is "not a mate of mine" as you imply! This was a comment from a man who was part of a P3A group who were having an early Christmas meal together after a group lecture. We were just chatting about various aspects of life here.

Dee
So it's just hearsay, not fact
David
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Even 'Hearsay' can be fact :-)
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

After nearly 8 years of living in an area where the number of green bins was reduced from 6 to 1 and the area around it was used by non-local people to dump their furniture and other household waste as well as building rubbish (usually on a Saturday afternoon or just after sunset) and also including items that were recyclable, I noticed the huge increase in rubbish in our immediate area has been since the time the decision was made to remove the recycle bins from their respective locations - the assumption being made that people would either use the local Green Dot Centre and/or the weekly recycling collection from the doorstep. Local residents are also to blame for a certain percentage of the rubbish, but as most of the residences in the area were apartment complexes and the people had no transport it was far simpler just to leave their detritus by the green bin.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

mouse wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:37 pm Moving away from the thread a little , I am concerned about the pay as you throw concept, it relies on personal responsibility in the disposal of rubbish, I fail to see how this system will work !
Not at all, very relevant in fact, and in addition to my earlier comment I can almost guarantee the pile of rubbish around the solitary green bin will only grow higher and spread further!