Storm

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
lotus

Storm

Post by lotus »

That was a good storm we had,torrential rain,poor hunters!,got me thinking does anybody remember the huge storms many years ago when those poor people got swept away on that bridge in Kissonica ,think only one body was found,and even longer ago every grain of sand was washed away from the beach at Coral Bay
Boxsterann

Re: Storm

Post by Boxsterann »

I remember both storms very well having driven along the road where the parents lost their lives only a couple of hours previously. Also stood at our gates watching flood water coming towards our villa which wiped out all the sand and Corallia Hotel.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I too remember the same. It was very bad and very sad.
Louise :)
lotus

Post by lotus »

Was trying to remember what's year it was,think Coral bay episode was after a huge Winter storm,couldn't believe it,must have been about 18 years ago? and the others a bit later maybe?,a Cypriot friend witnessed the two poor souls being washed away in their car and could do nothing about it
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Yes, it was terrible. I belive they eventually found both the missing people. Because of this tragedy they built two bridges over the steam which runs past our house which were once fords I think this tragedy shocked a lot of people in power.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I also remember both storms. Everyone was shocked by the terrible news of the two people who were washed off the flooded bridge near Kissonerga in their car, so sad.. Afterwards the bridge was repaired and improved with stone walls added on each side of the bridge. Previously there was only a rather weak looking low white metal railing, which gave way. I remember the night well, as I had just left a meeting held in a hotel in Kato Paphos, and had to return to my home in Kamares. The roads at that time had no proper drains, there was no dual carriageway, the traffic lights on the Polis Rd failed, it was pitch black, the only lighting coming from the frequent flashes of forked lightning! The rain was torrential, lowest part of the Emba -Tala Rd flooded! It was a nightmare journey...Luckily then I had a small 4x4 car, so was slightly higher than an ordinary saloon, and got home safely!

Yes, the Coralia Beach Hotel, had their ground floor flooded in the other storm. Some guests had to be evacuated. The cause of the torrential flood as reported, was due to builders constructing houses working on the opposite side of the road who apparently had blocked drainage ditches. Afterwards, a substantial boundary wall was built which screens and protects the hotel from the road and any future floods.
Dee
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

It was 2006,we were here on holiday. There had been storms most evenings that week and we just missed being drenched when the worst of the rain came down as we walked into Duomo on TOTK road, on the day we travelled back our flight was delayed after the inbound flight was hit by lightning.

It was only after we got back to the U.K. we heard the bad news about what happened in Kissonerga and a few weeks later I found this clip on YouTube

Ian
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Back to the recent rain. I measured 14 mm/m2 which was the largest amount this Autumn for me. Next Wednesday I expect more of that as we need it desperately.

Max
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Surely you mean that you measured 14 mm of rain; the area is immaterial and is not used by the WMO or the Met offices of any country that I know.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Devil wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:22 pm Surely you mean that you measured 14 mm of rain; the area is immaterial and is not used by the WMO or the Met offices of any country that I know.
As I am German and in Germany, Austria,Switzerland etc.. we learned at school to measure rainfall in mm/m2!
Here a Google translation of the German Wikipedia site:

"Rainfall
One looks at the liquid water (precipitation water), which collects in the event of precipitation (rain, snow, hail, fog, etc.) in a defined period of time (see also precipitation intensity) in a vessel that is only open at the top and has a defined horizontal opening. The amount of precipitation is the volume of the liquid in relation to the area of ​​the opening and is given in liters per square meter."
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niederschlag

Max
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:10 pm The amount of precipitation is the volume of the liquid in relation to the area of ​​the opening and is given in liters per square meter."
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niederschlag

Max
Sorry, Max, but you got it wrong! Your latest measurement was 14 millimetres, NOT 14 litres. As you wish to quote wiki,
"Rain is measured in units of length per unit time, typically in millimeters per hour, or in countries where imperial units are more common, inches per hour.[92] The "length", or more accurately, "depth" being measured is the depth of rain water that would accumulate on a flat, horizontal and impermeable surface during a given amount of time, typically an hour.[93] One millimeter of rainfall is the equivalent of one liter of water per square meter."

lotus

Post by lotus »

Blowing a gale here this morning and showers due later,surely it can't be anything to do with the Coptic due yesterday ,or can it?😉
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Just coincidence. There will be many gales that fall outside of the so-called coptic calendar, and many coptic dates that are sunny. We already did the experiment a few years ago.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:38 am Just coincidence. There will be many gales that fall outside of the so-called coptic calendar, and many coptic dates that are sunny. We already did the experiment a few years ago.
Before 25 years when internet weather data were not available for me, I believed what the coptic calendar told me. It had nothing to do with sunny or not, but with high winds. At that time I run my house only on renewable energy, solar and wind. In order to stop the windmills, I had to switch them off (brakes on) manually, before it was too much windy as the brakes would not be able and stop the blades then. I must say many times from 1996 to 2003 the coptic calendar saved my windmills from damage....
After 2004 I sold my solar/wind system and lost interest on the coptic data.

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

But if you picked 12 random dates from the autumn / winter /spring period you would be able to make the same observation.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Dominic you think what you like,I ve been here in Cyprus too long to dismiss these Coptics ,sure their not always right but no weather forecast is
Paul

Post by Paul »

I wounder how the Cypriots wound react if they had storms like they get in the UK.

I mean 60 to 70 mph winds with gusts well above that!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

lotus wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:07 am Dominic you think what you like,I ve been here in Cyprus too long to dismiss these Coptics ,sure their not always right but no weather forecast is
It isn't a question of thinking what I like. Without prejudice, I performed an experiment, and reported the results. Simple as that. To be honest, it would have been more interesting if the Coptic Calendar turned out to be vaguely factual. But it didn't, no more than picking random dates.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I agree with Dominic; when I first began to be interested in the weather here, in the early 2000's, I did a crude manual test over one winter. My "anemometer" was a simple home-made hotwire device indicating calm, somewhat windy, considerably windy and howling gale with a sheltered second hotwire device in a bridge circuit! This was sufficient to show me that the Coptic winds were a myth, particularly because the few more or less "correct" winds were coming via Turkey, rather than Egypt!
lotus

Post by lotus »

Well you would agree obviously,you have your opinion and I have mine,so let's leave it at that both of you