Windstorm next Wednesday....

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Windstorm next Wednesday....

Post by cyprusmax47 »

It is not very often that we have plenty wind in Cyprus, but on Wednesday my German forecast shows high winds with max. speed of 90 km/h. in the wider Paphos district. So hold tight and fix things in your garden which could fly away....

Max
memory man

Re: Windstorm next Wednesday....

Post by memory man »

Thank you for the weather warning. :o
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

If it's anything like that which arrived in UK from lunchtime Friday until late yesterday evening, just hide indoors!

Absolutely freezing! Strong gusts causing building damage, transport problems due to snow and trains having to travel more slowly through exposed areas, power outages etc.

It's calm again this morning....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I concur. For those who prefer the archaic Beaufort scale, Wednesday afternoon will rise to Near Gale. However the bad weather will be of fairly short duration from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday evening, give or take an hour or two

Tuesday night
Partly to mostly cloudy in the evening, becoming partly cloudy after midnight. Low 9°C. Wind northwest around 4 m/s, gusting to 9 m/s, in the evening, becoming 3 m/s after midnight.

Wednesday
Mostly sunny in the morning, becoming sunny in the afternoon. A slight chance of rain. High 18°C. Wind northwest around 5 m/s, gusting to 12 m/s, in the morning, becoming 8 m/s, gusting to 14 m/s, in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation less than 20 percent. Precipitation mostly less than 2 mm.

Wednesday night
Fair to partly cloudy in the evening, becoming clear after midnight. Low 6°C. Wind west-northwest around 3 m/s, gusting to 8 m/s, in the evening, becoming 1 m/s after midnight.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Devil wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:05 pm I concur. For those who prefer the archaic Beaufort scale, Wednesday afternoon will rise to Near Gale. However the bad weather will be of fairly short duration from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday evening, give or take an hour or two

Wednesday
Mostly sunny in the morning, becoming sunny in the afternoon. A slight chance of rain. High 18°C. Wind northwest around 5 m/s, gusting to 12 m/s, in the morning, becoming 8 m/s, gusting to 14 m/s, in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation less than 20 percent. Precipitation mostly less than 2 mm.
Well, it is like with the rain in Cyprus, also the wind appears to be different at other locations. I was warning for Paphos district as the forecast is unusual high winds with 75 km/h and more in gusts. In your area about 50 km/h in gusts.
The good thing is that the wind park near Paphos will produce this day a proper result for a couple of hours, unlike all the other times...

Max
Attachments
image_2021-11-29_092424.png
image_2021-11-29_092424.png (188.93 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

That's good! BUT as most windfarms are in exposed places -on ridges and hill tops, if the wind speed gets very high, it can cause damage to the blades of wind turbines. Hope this doesn't happen..

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

They are designed for much higher winds than what is expected.

https://www.thewindpower.net/turbine_en ... 0-2000.php

Max
lotus

Post by lotus »

We were due a Coptic on the 26th this month so presume the winds are related to this
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

lotus wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:30 pm We were due a Coptic on the 26th this month so presume the winds are related to this
Bollocks! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
lotus

Post by lotus »

And bollocks to you to Devil ✌
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Well, it would appear that HiC and lotus also believe in Santa Claus. I don't know how many times this subject has appeared in this forum and others, but it's been shown that Coptic gales are purely and simply a myth. The following reference is a full explanation of the truth and the fibs: http://weather.bnellis.eu/notes/coptic.html – I defy anyone to pick holes in the scientific evidence.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Devil we are all entitled to our opinions,so I would advise you to keep yours to yourself
glowred

Post by glowred »

lotus wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:16 pm Devil we are all entitled to our opinions,so I would advise you to keep yours to yourself
Lotus

That’s an oxymoron, if everyone is entitled to an opinion then everyone should be able to voice them, not just yours or the ones you agree with.

Neil
lotus

Post by lotus »

Yes I totally agree,but it was the word bollocks I objected to
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The Coptic Calendar works because people remember when it is accurate, but forget when it isn't. This is actually the third Coptic storm of the season, according to the calendar, but nobody mentions that absolutely bugger all happened when the first two were due. Just as a stopped clock is right twice a day, so the coptic calendar will be right on the money every so often.

A few years ago I did a simple experiment, on this forum, and accumulated actual data. This showed how inaccurate they were in reality.

But if you want to believe what is essentially an Old Wive's Tale, then good luck to you.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Course they are not always right,but what weather forecast is?,they can't even get it right a few days ahead half the time,re Coptics I think it can depends on what area you are in,I have always lived high up in the hills and quite often we have a Coptic where other places don't,Old Wives Tale? But a lot of the time they are fairly accurate
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They are no more accurate than picking random dates out of a hat.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Well that's your opinion,course you can think what you like
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

It always makes me chuckle when people argue against the facts and the proven results of a diary of events just because they want to believe they’re correct.

I think Devils comment to Lotus was bang on the money :lol: :lol:
lotus

Post by lotus »

Charming,so if I said Bollocks to you it would be ok?