Problems with Passport Office courier TNT

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Happy in Cyprus

Problems with Passport Office courier TNT

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:34 am

Read this yesterday, posting to alert those whose passports are due to run out soon.

Passport delivery ‘meltdown’ puts Christmas travel at risk
Andrew Ellson, David Byers Thursday November 25 2021, 12.01am GMT, The Times

Thousands of Christmas holidays could be at risk as the Passport Office courier service appears to be in meltdown.

Hundreds of people are going online every day to complain about delays at TNT, which has an exclusive contract to deliver official travel documents.

Customers report delivery dates being delayed multiple times, with some saying that their passports have been stuck with the US-owned company for up to a month. Some travellers due to go away in the coming days have become so desperate that they have been driving from depot to depot searching for their passports.

TNT’s customer service helpline appears to be overwhelmed, with calls not being answered for hours.

The delivery delays are in addition to long processing times at the Passport Office. The government website warns applicants to allow “up to ten weeks” for passports to arrive.

Some customers have become so frustrated with the delays that they have started an online petition asking for an inquiry into the failure of TNT. The petition says: “In recent months thousands of us have experienced significant delays in getting our passports delivered. Many have had to cancel their travel plans . . . and lost out on hundreds or even thousands of pounds.

“TNT do not seem to provide real-time tracking, nor can you provide delivery instructions. People have experienced numerous failed delivery attempts, others have had their delivery date continuously pushed back with no end in sight. Some have even had their passport or application supporting documents lost.”

Paul

Re: Problems with Passport Office courier TNT

Post by Paul » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:35 pm

Do not trust any tracking of items.
I was once told that my item went from Gatwick to Hemel Hamstead, it was delivered 12 minuets after it left the deport.
You try doing 62 miles in 12 minuets around the M25 at 9.30 in the morning!

dodo

Post by dodo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:58 pm

Renewed mine online yesterday and it said 11 wks luckily not planning going anywhere for a while

dodo

Post by dodo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:59 pm

Renewed mine online yesterday and it said 11 wks luckily not planning going anywhere for a while

Kili01

Post by Kili01 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:54 pm

When I renewed mine, last year, I used Gwennie. Her stuff gets sent in the Govt courier bag, using courier service. This proved both very fast and reliable. I had a phone call from Gwennies office to ask me to collect my new passport, just over 3 weeks later.
Dee

The Aquila

Post by The Aquila » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:17 pm

The other half did hers earlier in the year, online, and it was back with three weeks. Afterwards we were talking to a neighbour and they sent theirs around the same time with the same results. Strangely, the other half’s went to Ireland via the UK address and the neighbours went to Newcastle (or somewhere close by).

Anarita John

Post by Anarita John » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:25 pm

We did ours at the end of September. Took just over 3 weeks. We sent ours by DHL and they were in the UK two days later. Both passports came back in just over 3 weeks but we waited longer for our old ones to be returned. Very pleased with the DHL service in Cyprus. DHL driver now knows us and where we live as M and S use them for their international deliveries.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:31 pm

I think you'll find the story I posted relates to very recent events, and reflects more on TNT failings rather than the Passport Office.

The Aquila

Post by The Aquila » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:19 am

Ever since TNT have merged / been taken over by FedEx they have gone steadily down hill.

One of the biggest issues is that the hub in Grace-Hollange (Belgium) that almost everything to and from the UK is routed through cannot cope with the through traffic. Additional customs checks haven’t helped the situation either.