I need to establish...am I dead or alive?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
LouiseCastricum

Re: I need to establish...am I dead or alive?

Post by LouiseCastricum »

ha ha ha
Louise :)
El tel

Post by El tel »

In my twenties I worked for a U.K. insurance company in Nigeria and we received a letter from a client advising us “ I regret to announce that I had a fatal motor cycle accident and wish to claim on my life policy “ . The Nigerian staff were amused by this letter so I suggested we responded with our standard letter but slightly change the wording to “ we regret to hear of your death please forward death certificate “ .
Three days later the gentleman appeared in the office and I interviewed him and during the meeting when asked to produce his death certificate he produced a genuine death certificate in his name . As you can appreciate we were somewhat concerned and following an intense conversation involving some of our senior Nigerian staff it turned out the man had a relative who worked in the mortuary who had sold him the certificate for the equivalent of £5 . This was the sixties so I guess the price has gone up a bit now.
We turned down the claim .

Terry
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We keep on getting a phone call from a UK number. 0117 4780204 and 0161 8205290. For the 0161 number I ask where are you calling from. Reply was Liverpool. OK what is the weather like which they usually get wrong. Then I ask them about the 0161 number which is Manchester and why they say thay are in Liverpool. At this point they put the phone down.
One of the calls ask if they can ask me just two questions and they will not bother me again. I reply with, I'm in the 60 to 70 age bracket and I live in a tent. They then hang up.
Yesterday Rosemary got a call about a life assurance policy we had taken out. She put the phone on speaker and the two of us replied with stupid comments which really infuriated the caller. She completely lost it with us and came out with some lovely language.
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

If I don’t recognise the number I don’t answer the call

Come to think of it, if I do recognise the number, I will (occasionally) not answer the call 😀
J B

Post by J B »

Anarita John wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:19 pm ...........She put the phone on speaker and the two of us replied with stupid comments which really infuriated the caller. She completely lost it with us and came out with some lovely language.
This happened to me once - couldn't really tell whey he said but it sounded something like "you lover sucker" :lol:
J B
jeba

Post by jeba »

Beechwood wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:42 am If I don’t recognise the number I don’t answer the call
Quite an annoying habit for those who wanted to call you for genuine reasons and may have a new SIM card or who you simply don´t know.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I love getting the calls about "the car accident that wasn't your fault".
I always ask "which one?" to which I get the reply "the one that wasn't your fault".
I tell them I've had 4 accidents - they were ALL my fault!
For some strange reason, the caller magically disappears.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"