Booster jab at the General...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
LouiseCastricum

Re: Booster jab at the General...

Post by LouiseCastricum »

What a story, what a nightmare. But, where can you make an appointment Lloyd?
Louise :)
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Link to vaccination portal

https://vaccination.gesy.org.cy/

Just booked ours for next Tuesday!!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think this mayhem is because in the lower age group are many many people. I went without booking 3 weeks ago and there were no queues and in and out in 10 minutes.
As HIC says, now it is best to Go early
Trev..
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

And Mondays always seem to be the busiest times not just at the hospital but at the post office, banks etc
David
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sounds like good advice! But how early do you recommend getting there?

I wonder why it was suddenly opened to-everyone over 40, rather than in age bands as it was done previously when we all had our original jabs?
And how have so many younger people been vaccinated at the same time as those in their 60's and low 70's? (I mean after having waited for 6 mths since the last dose..?)

Dee
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:11 pm I think this mayhem is because in the lower age group are many many people. I went without booking 3 weeks ago and there were no queues and in and out in 10 minutes.
Trev, not sure of which range of lower age group you’re thinking of but as eligibility is based on an elapsed 6 months since completion of second dose, it’s a while yet until the below 50 groups hit the rank. For example my 6 months is not up until just before Christmas.

Think I’ll stick to a booked appointment at Polis again when the time comes.

Ian
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Made an appointment. Very easy to do.
Louise :)
wilky

Post by wilky »

I was there about 12 and seen the mayhem left and went back about 3 things a lot quieter in and out about 15 minutes
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

What a nightmare :x - I was lucky because I managed to get there last Monday just after 8am- (and no pre-booked appt as my G.P said I did not need one) and rather should say- made the mistake in arriving first at the walk in centre, which is at the back of the hospital - in an open air section with a few white plastic chairs, and vacc notices pinned to the side of the building and a door which also had pinned to it, announcing: "break time 10am" so I thought I was in the right area- although thought it odd that I was the only one sitting there!!!. I was later joined by an other English guy and eventually the door opened at 8am- and a woman said that we had to go inside the hospital and some muddled explanation because it was a booster jab- and also this presumably was the area for pre-booked jabs only. but it was not very clear at all

So, made our way to the main entrance and I think it was corridor A just to the right hand side as you walk in. This was about 3 mins past 8 and there was about 20 people sitting/standing there and I totally agree no 2m spacing whatsoever and many not actually wearing masks!. Then the guy came out into the corridor - who handed people pink tickets and everyone huddled around to receive one like it was some sort of raffle!!.. Periodically he came out again and shouted the numbers, but because he spoke in Greek you could not understand, so like me several people kept going up to the guy to present him with their ticket and he just told them to sit down again!!! After about 20 mins or so he appeared again and called out a few more ticket numbers and then there was another surge of people and eventually he let me in to the room and I took a seat . A nurse called me over and it was all done in a matter of minutes and then collected my certificate from the two girls sitting at the reception/processing desk- then waited for a further 10 mins afterwards which you have to do in case of any adverse reaction and that was it... so my advice is to get there before 8am early.. I'm not sure if making an appointment is any better as they probably don't keep to strict times anyway- :? so HIC, - you were extremely unfortunate and also to keep hanging about after waiting for so long- as I would have given up and come back another day if that same scenario happened to me. :o .
Last edited by fishbeardsunset on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My daughters frien went yesterday and according to her she was in and out in five minutes, she had made an appointment.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

We went a couple of weeks ago, made the appointment in & out in 15 minutes
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Somebody post on our Facebook group that they went at 1PM yesterday and it was quiet.

If I had turned up and it was bedlam I would have walked away.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

GESY appointments advised before 1pm after 1pm to evening none GESY walk in accepted 2 of my friends went in the afternoon last week 20 mins in and out. However another friend encountered the mayhem reported by others
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Hours are now up to 6pm. Almost everyone reporting it as very busy are going between 10 and 12. Try the afternoon.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
poolriver

Post by poolriver »

PolemIan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:34 pm
trevnhil wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:11 pm I think this mayhem is because in the lower age group are many many people. I went without booking 3 weeks ago and there were no queues and in and out in 10 minutes.
Trev, not sure of which range of lower age group you’re thinking of but as eligibility is based on an elapsed 6 months since completion of second dose, it’s a while yet until the below 50 groups hit the rank. For example my 6 months is not up until just before Christmas.

Ian
Hi,

With regard to what PolemIan wrote my understanding was the General was only option to get booster jab. I have to say my preferred option would be booked appointment at Polis. Any advice out there if that is a possibility? I am due next month.

Jim.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Perhaps worth going to one of the government sites to have a free Rapid Antigen Test after being so close to so many people (strangers) for a considerable length of time (1.5 - 2 hours).

Definitely agree that making an appointment is a far superior experience than just turning up.
jeba

Post by jeba »

galexinda wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:06 pm Definitely agree that making an appointment is a far superior experience than just turning up.
Easier said than done. I wanted to make an appointment (in Larnaca though) but was told that´s not possible and to simply show up without one. Maybe that´s because I´m not in GESY?
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

poolriver wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:00 pm
PolemIan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:34 pm

Ian
Hi,

With regard to what PolemIan wrote my understanding was the General was only option to get booster jab. I have to say my preferred option would be booked appointment at Polis. Any advice out there if that is a possibility? I am due next month.

Jim.
Jim,

Copied and pasted from email received from Gov Press Information Office on 16/11, see the second paragraph in particular:

“ The procedure for the administration of a booster dose for individuals aged 40 years and over starts as of tomorrow, November 17th, provided that a period of six months has elapsed since the completion of their vaccination scheme (namely the administration of a second dose in the case of Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines or Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose vaccine).

The beneficiaries will be able to be served as of tomorrow at the walk-in vaccination centres operating in all Districts, from Monday to Thursday, from 8 am to 1 pm. Alternatively, individuals aged 40 and over will be able to arrange an appointment via the Vaccination Portal as of tomorrow.

It is recalled that people who received the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines during the initial vaccination, will receive the same vaccine for the booster dose. People who were initially vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine will be able to choose an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna). Finally, people who received the Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose vaccine will be able to be vaccinated with either an mRNA vaccine or a Johnson & Johnson one.

All individuals must provide proof of identification (identity, passport, Alien Registration Card, etc.) as well as their Vaccination Card.”

Hope this helps.

Ian
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

As Ians post is from the 11th ... Do bear in mind a previous post
"Hours are now up to 6pm. Almost everyone reporting it as very busy are going between 10 and 12. Try the afternoon."
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I went this afternoon, abt 2.30pm to the walk in clinic at the General Hospital. Today, it was busy, but perfectly civilised. There was sufficient seating for virtually everyone. We were waiting in the long corridor, to the right of the old registration counter, which was well ventilated. Vaccinations were being carried out in 3's, by 3 nurses in 2 adjacent rooms. You went in to get your numbered ticket, and then sat and waited outside. A man posted on the doorway, called out 3 numbers at a time. When my turn came, I was motioned into the 2nd room. The nurse gave me the Pfizer vaccine. Then I waited for 10 mins, before being released. It was very well organised. I was there about 45 mins, total.
Parking was easy, as the hospital was otherwise quiet. My experience was quite different to HIC's.

Dee