Lockdown

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Lockdown

Post by WHL »

Austria have introduced a lockdown for people not vaccinated, do you think it would be a good idea if Cyprus did the same?

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/11/15/aust ... ss-europe/
lotus

Re: Lockdown

Post by lotus »

Definitely a very good idea,it needs something doing for sure!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Pointless, really. All it will do is alienate people. They already have to get tested, and that is more of a guarantee of not passing on COVID than a vaccine.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

lotus wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:19 am Definitely a very good idea,it needs something doing for sure!
Definitely NOT a very good idea, but agree there is much more that could be done to help the situation.
Unfortunately it needs the cooperation of the majority of people in order to succeed and that is unlikely to happen as has already been demonstrated.
staffie

Post by staffie »

when misses an I go shops functions etc, test required at our cost an peace of mind, at least We know we are clean , but vaccines don't stop transmission from vaxed people.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

I see little value in more lockdowns. Why is it he talked about now when the current average of those testing positive is a quarter of what it was in July?

The point of vaccination is, and has been since day 1, to prevent people ending up in hospital, a simple glance at the U.K. charts demonstrates the effectiveness of that that with great clarity.

That said, there have been numerous studies, In Israel and by NHS Scotland, CDC for example, that show that vaccinated people are less likely to transmit the virus than those without. That was based on earlier variants though and as more variants take their turn as the most prevalent version in circulation, that will probably ebb and flow as the science catches up.

Ian
jeba

Post by jeba »

In my view they should rather make vaccination compulsory for everone, unless there is a contraindication..
staffie

Post by staffie »

perhaps it's time for compulsory testing for all, at least the anti-vaxxers know through regular testing, am fed up with people saying I'm OK, but never get tested.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

I think Austria has about 65% vaccinated which is quite low and not really comparable to the situation in Cyprus.

Positive cases in Cyprus are rising again though - even with the much reduced testing. Further lockdowns are not
the answer though I don't think. I think the next step should be regular free but compulsary testing for the vaccinated
alongside the chargeable tests for the unvaccinated.

Cheers

Steve
staffie

Post by staffie »

at last, well said steve.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Over a thousand cases in the last 3 days, and Paphos is now second to Nicosia in positive cases, its no coincidence that there is now an increase in tourists, i believe its random testing of aircraft which results in several cases at the airports every day, if thats the case perhaps all aircraft passengers should be tested
WHL

Post by WHL »

Looks like Austria will be going to a full lockdown next week.
Plus will be the first European country to make having the jap mandatory.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, Singapore is taking a hard line, but it has something to recommend it..
Agree that if anti vaxxers develop Covid, they should pay for their hospital treatment, including ICU treatment. If it is needed.

Dee
lin n vic

Post by lin n vic »

thats all ok but how do you work this one out had two shots and the boster
had a test proved postive make you wonder if shots work or just a scam only giving

the boster as they have to much stock and need to get rid bought to much
Vic
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Interesting article in the Cyprus Mail. This statistician says the figures don't compute.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/11/20/coro ... -scientist
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Social distancing and face mask wearing are a key deterrent to preventing Covid or other seasonal respiratory illnesses.
So what have people been doing in recent months? Not wearing masks and being in close contact with other people for some time.

Vaccination is only one element to be take into consideration.
Society needs to adopt more behavioural changes if we are going to see any progress in 2022.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Mmmm,lets say hyperthetically every living soul on this planet had been vaccinated.Great,but we all know that vaccinated or not you can still catch covid and and spread it.So what would us mere humans do THEN to stop the spread....even MORE vaccines in our bodies??
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:19 am Totally bizarre phenomenon, which scientists cannot explain: https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-mysti ... 05034.html
I read a study some months ago that looked at countries with the higest rates of Covid infections/deaths.
Countries with the highest rates of Covid were also countries with some of the highest rates of obesity.

That's not to suggest that those that are falling ill or dying are obese - could also just be a coincidence but
it could explain why Africa (with a generally low rate of obesity) has not been affected in the same way as other
countries.

Cheers

Steve
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

We went to a coffee bar in one of the main roads in Paphos everybody wearing their mask inside and pedestrians outside, in contrast driving through the harbour only a handful of pedestrians wearing masks, I might be wrong but I thought it was still mandatory to wear a mask outside when close to other people.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I wonder if any tourists have Ever been fined during this Pandemic ?
Trev..