Repairs to granite countertops

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sunspot

Repairs to granite countertops

Post by sunspot »

Does anyone know a company that can fill and polish the flaws in granite such as fissures, hairline cracks and pits?
Kili01

Re: Repairs to granite countertops

Post by Kili01 »

No, I don't. We had granite worktops in our kitchen in Kamares. They were so hard wearing, even after 19 years of moderate wear they were still in as new condition. I'm sorry and surprised that yours have such problems. You might consider possibly replacing affected parts?

Dee
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Thanks, Dee. The granite was flawed when installed. Fabricator should have filled the flaws and polished everything down, but did not. He is now saying he cannot (or will not). My internet research says this can be done with epoxy, polishing and sealing. Granite repair companies elsewhere provide this service. I cannot find any repair company in Cyprus. Guess I will ask other granite fabricators if they can do it. Was just wondering if anyone could give a recommendation.
JimX

Post by JimX »

There is a company in the Messogi Industrial Estate in the Driving test road at the top end, I had a quote to polish my Grannite work tops as they went dull, lost its shine, but at nearly 2K I thought better of it...
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

A few years back I bought a granite polish off amazon, sorry cant remember the name, then with my electric car polisher, I buffed them really well, and they came up a dream, have a look on amazon, then pay someone for a days work, to polish the work tops using a polishing machine.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Thank you for the advice.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Hi,
I install kitchens in the UK and often they have granite worktops, these are installed by granite fitters, when they do repairs with epoxy resin it is only to small faults and each fault costs about £100 so I doubt you will get the repairs you are looking for, granite can be waxed and polished this should improve things.
Gary.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

glang3000, apologies for my ignorance. When you wax granite, does the wax harden and effectively create a smooth, clear 'new' surface when you polish it? If so, that might work, if it covers the pits and cracks and makes the surface smooth. I have never seen granite like mine. All the granite I have seen on worktops has been smooth to the touch, so I am quite concerned. Thank you.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

It does firm up, you can use a block of beeswax polish then polish with soft cloth or you can buy a spray, it also stops the worktop from staining.
Gary.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Thank you.