Traffice camera leaflets

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

Traffice camera leaflets

Post by Paul »

Just had a walk around the village and the post mistress was putting peoples post in there boxes and a speed camera leaflet as well?

I took a look at the said leaflet to find it was all in Greek!

No good to me as I do not read Greek.

Paul
trevnhil

Re: Traffice camera leaflets

Post by trevnhil »

It is a shame that they did not print English on the reverse side.
I think I saw a mobile speed camera being set up last week I was on my way from Debenhams roundabout to the Iasis hospital. Just in one of the side roads was a little van. I saw a small 'camera sign' sat on the pavement, and a guy was setting up a camera on a tripod.
I presume there would be a lead back to the van ??
Trev..
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

According to the many posts on here and other forums, it is only Cypriots who speed and commit moving traffic offences so no need to print in any other language.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

You can use Google Lens to translate things.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

chatsworth wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:34 pm According to the many posts on here and other forums, it is only Cypriots who speed and commit moving traffic offences so no need to print in any other language.
:lol:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
WHL

Post by WHL »

chatsworth wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:34 pm According to the many posts on here and other forums, it is only Cypriots who speed and commit moving traffic offences so no need to print in any other language.
Greek and Turkish are the official laungages of Cyprus .
If you are going to print in other languages, where do you stop, English, Russian, Polish, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Hebrew, etc etc,
Here's a daft idea, how about people who live in a country, learn to speak the laungage of that country? :lol:
ast

Post by ast »

Good for you if your fluent in Greek WHL. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

You do not have to be fluent, just learn enough to be able to understand a leaflet like this one.
Louise :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

ast wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:42 pm Good for you if your fluent in Greek WHL. 8-)
Can I ask you how, long you have been living in Cyprus?
WHL

Post by WHL »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:38 pm You do not have to be fluent, just learn enough to be able to understand a leaflet like this one.
Exactly
ast

Post by ast »

Can I ask you how, long you have been living in Cyprus?
[/quote]

Of course you can , I don't live in Cyprus full time, I have owned property there for 20 yrs, is it relavent.
WHL

Post by WHL »

ast wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:46 pm Can I ask you how, long you have been living in Cyprus?
Of course you can , I don't live in Cyprus full time, I have owned property there for 20 yrs, is it relavent.
[/quote]

Yes it is relevant, some expats have lived in Cyprus for over ten years etc, yet they haven't bothered to learn the bare basics, such as, thank you, good morning, good night, how are you, can I have a coffee , how much is that etc. etc
No problem, there is no law that says you must learn the local language , but more often then not, alot of these same people moan that, things are not printed in English.
ast

Post by ast »

WHL wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:11 pm
ast wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:46 pm Can I ask you how, long you have been living in Cyprus?
Yes it is relevant, some expats have lived in Cyprus for over ten years etc, yet they haven't bothered to learn the bare basics, such as, thank you, good morning, good night, how are you, can I have a coffee , how much is that etc. etc
No problem, there is no law that says you must learn the local language , but more often then not, alot of these same people moan that, things are not printed in English.
[/quote]

Absolutely there are no laws to say you have to speak the lingo, as for myself i can say after 20 yrs I know a good bit to get by in most situations, but reading a leaflet in greek, forget it.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just got a speeding fine, 64 in a 50 zone , fifty four euro fine, , plus two points, no need for fancy new cameras, the good old hand held ones are working just fine. :D
staffie

Post by staffie »

perhaps it's a good thing, perhaps also not, ?
try this at your peril, stick to the speed sign limits an try an keep calm.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Government courses run every year at a number of local schools, Polemi, Emba, Polis, for example that I know of, two 1.5 hours lessons per week for €10 (for the academic year). I ran out of talent at the end of year 4.

Ian
WHL

Post by WHL »

PolemIan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:41 pm Government courses run every year at a number of local schools, Polemi, Emba, Polis, for example that I know of, two 1.5 hours lessons per week for €10 (for the academic year). I ran out of talent at the end of year 4.

Ian
I think its free for OAPs
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Greek, Turkish and English are all official languages of Cyprus and forms should be available in all 3 also since Cyprus is in the EU (Unlike the UK) it has to be made available in Brail and several other languages dependent on the form.
Gary.
WHL

Post by WHL »

glang3000 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:58 pm Greek, Turkish and English are all official languages of Cyprus and forms should be available in all 3 also since Cyprus is in the EU (Unlike the UK) it has to be made available in Brail and several other languages dependent on the form.
Gary.
Incorrect, English is not an official laungage of Cyprus.
Cyprus - Wikipedia
Cyprus officially called the Republic of Cyprus, is an island country in the eastern Mediteranian ... Official languages. Greek · Turkish.
ast

Post by ast »

You are quite correct WHL but what is the perhaps unofficial third language of Cyprus, you would probably say English, Maybe these leaflets should be printed in English or even Russian too, yes were do you stop but there are plenty of instructions for stuff you buy printed in many languages its not difficult.
Anyway it does not affect me i never speed........... :roll: