BBQ

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
nholleran

BBQ

Post by nholleran » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:21 am

Got a gas one but keep thinking i should get the traditional Cyprus souvlaki charcoal one as the meat aiways tastes and smells better, but there is only the two of most time so is it worth the effort.
Cheers.

Dominic
Site Admin

Re: BBQ

Post by Dominic » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:26 am

Whether you cook for two or twenty, you only eat one plateful yourself, so go for it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:12 am

You could buy them in the past from street seller just behind Municipal Market, opposite Municipal Parking, next to "Klimataria " kebab house.
Important that the body is galvanised then you will have it for ever...nothing beats a traditional BBQ ... for many years I used mine to grill whole fish like Lavraki on fire wood.

Max

WHL

Post by WHL » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:18 am

Ive tried gas ones in the past, and they dont come close to the real thing.
It is the charcoal that gives it all the taste and flavor, A big mistake expats make,is to rush, as soon as they see the charcoal burning, they then cook the meat over flame, if you watch Cypriots cook, they always wait until the charcoals are white, they cook over heat and not flame, it takes a bit longer but it is not burned and cooks more even.
Last edited by WHL on Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

nholleran

Post by nholleran » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:24 am

Ok mind made up off to get one today, thanks for your replies.

cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:49 am

WHL wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:18 am
It is the charcoal that gives it all the taste and flavor, A big mistake expats make,is to rush, as soon as they see the charcoal burning, they then cook the meat over flame, if you watch Cypriots cook, they always wait until the charcoals are white, they cook over heat and not flame, it takes a bit longer but it is not burned and cooks more even.
The old Cypriots don't buy charcoal but produce it from wood they collect in the forest. They prepare it in a separate, cut barrel until it is ready to use, bit by bit....

Max

WHL

Post by WHL » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:06 am

cyprusmax47 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:49 am
WHL wrote:
The old Cypriots don't buy charcoal but produce it from wood they collect in the forest. They prepare it in a separate, cut barrel until it is ready to use, bit by bit....

Max
Not many of those left Max, the majority now buy from Lidls.

cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:45 pm

WHL wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:06 am
cyprusmax47 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:49 am
WHL wrote:

Max
Not many of those left Max, the majority now buy from Lidls.
I must say, here in Paphos district, all people I knew from the past, living in smaller villages, made their home made charcoal and not using any fire lighter to start it. (instead pefkos chippings)

Max

wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:21 pm

WHL wrote:
The flavour comes from the juices being burnt (on charcoal or whatever is below) and the smoke from that being deposited on the food. A good gas BBQ produces food that's just as good as a charcoal one, and without all the charcoal smoke. The problem is that they're a pain in the **** to clean!

WHL

Post by WHL » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:57 pm

wantoosoon wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:21 pm
WHL wrote:
The flavour comes from the juices being burnt (on charcoal or whatever is below) and the smoke from that being deposited on the food. A good gas BBQ produces food that's just as good as a charcoal one, and without all the charcoal smoke. The problem is that they're a pain in the **** to clean!
We will have to agree to disagree, gas bbq doesn't taste any thing like charcoal bbq.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:27 am

Couldn't agree more, WHL, we've had both gas and Cyprus BBQs and the latter is streets ahead. If you want one custom-made I know a company in Limassol who will make them to your exact specification and in a range of finishes including s/s. We've had our galvanized on for around 12 years and it still looks good.

We never have souvla as such, chicken is our favourite, but wife also makes amazing lamb burgers with embedded feta and dates, plus a minty mayo sauce to go with them.

DSC_0211.jpeg
DSC_0211.jpeg (289.01 KiB) Viewed 901 times
20170416_142440.jpeg
20170416_142440.jpeg (286.83 KiB) Viewed 901 times
20170416_143850.jpeg
20170416_143850.jpeg (360.72 KiB) Viewed 901 times

bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:40 am

Contact Jack in Chloraka on 99683550 he sells bespoke BBQs stainless steel various sizes all motorized free standing or mobile.

nholleran

Post by nholleran » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:53 am

Hic that looks a monster size grill oh and what is the meat your cooking if not pork, going to give Jack a call to cheers all.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:31 am

Hi Neil. Top pic souvlaki, which is quite different from souvla. Sieftalia on plate, one of my faves.

nholleran

Post by nholleran » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:11 am

Got one yesterday but not a success had to finish the meat off on the gas one as coals did not get hot enough, but i dont think i put enough on at first or could it be crap charcoal i got from corner shop any advise please.

Cheers Neil.

cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:43 am

nholleran wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:11 am
Got one yesterday but not a success had to finish the meat off on the gas one as coals did not get hot enough, but i dont think i put enough on at first or could it be crap charcoal i got from corner shop any advise please.

Cheers Neil.
Both what you mentioned could be the reason. I would have used a lot of charcoal for the first time with the new grill in order to burn off the smell which appears when initially using it.
The whole body should be covered evenly by coal (or wood) and if it is too hot to shift it to one side to use it later on......
But soon you will get used to it after some mistakes. Also the height between meat and charcoal is important, also the type of meat (fatty?)

Max

WHL

Post by WHL » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:40 am

Get your self one of those large charcoal lighting tins, from superhome or a DIY shop, I aways use it, just fill up with the charcoal, lite it up, and leave it untill the charcoals are all burning, carefully tip the coals onto the BBQ and leave until there are no flames just white glowing coal, then you are ready to put meat on. In the video he pours the charcoal onto unlit coal, thats OK if your doing a large amount of food, but if its just a few of you , then there is no need, there should be enough in the tin.

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:31 pm

I have been using my GAS BBQ over the past four years. Before that always used the old fashioned dirty charcoal one. Now good well cooked meat and clean. No tipping out of ashes and charcoal bits. The way to go
All things are possible

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:36 am

Agree WHL, I use those as well. We bought ours in the States and they are better made than those here, but...

The way I get my BBQ going is as follows:

I have three of those chimneys and space them apart in our BBQ tray ('cos there's usually six of us at a meal). I place 5 or 6 broken-up bits of firelighters under each chimney, then fill each chimney full to overflowing. Light the firelighters. Wait maybe 30 mins for all the charcoal to be gently glowing in each of the chimneys, then tip them out carefully into the tray. Spread out. Leave for a further 15/20 mins 'till most of the charcoal has turned white, then start cooking. I vary the height of the charcoal throughout the tray, so if you want to increase or decrease the cooking speed you can do so by moving the skewers around. With a little experience you should be able to bring all the different skewers 'to the boil' at the same time.

nholleran

Post by nholleran » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:20 am

Cheers WHL and Hic will be getting one today.