GESY eligibility

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sunspot

GESY eligibility

Post by sunspot »

I am retired, but not yet receiving a UK government pension. I do not have an S1. I do not work in ROC.

I completed an ROC tax return for 2020 and paid GESY contributions on dividends and interest.

Someone told me that should allow me to register for GESY. But I thought retired UK citizens could only join GESY when in possession of an S1.

Can anyone confirm? Thank you.
Uncle D

Re: GESY eligibility

Post by Uncle D »

If you pay tax on gesy you are entitled to it, do you have an meu3?
However when you do get your state pension and get an S1 you will no longer need to pay tax on gesy
David
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

I thought you did not pay tax on dividends derived in the UK if you are resident here.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

I believe you have to declare your global income if registered for tax or domiciled on Cyprus, if it’s above the tax threshold then you will have to pay the tax.
souniman

Post by souniman »

You do not need and S1 to join GESY provieded you have an MEU1 or MEU3 you are entitled to become a member.
check out what you need to do by looking at the GESY website https://www.gesy.org.cy/sites/Sites?d=D ... ge=home-en
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

sunspot wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:15 am I am retired, but not yet receiving a UK government pension. I do not have an S1. I do not work in ROC.

I completed an ROC tax return for 2020 and paid GESY contributions on dividends and interest.

Someone told me that should allow me to register for GESY. But I thought retired UK citizens could only join GESY when in possession of an S1.

Can anyone confirm? Thank you.
Hi, I’m in a similar position as to yourself, I pay GESY contributions on my tax return but will not be eligible to join the system until I’ve been here 5 years, have lived here just over 3. Believe me I’ve made a lot of enquiries but unless I decide to take a job which I won’t then I’ll need to wait.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

I have an MEU1, if that makes a difference. I have lived in ROC for 2 years.

My income is not over the threshold to pay income tax. However, I still have to pay GESY tax on my dividends and interest, wherever they arise, because I am here over 6 months a year. That makes me resident in Cyprus for tax purposes.
CyprusSue

Post by CyprusSue »

Good evening,
Have the rules for joining GESY changed?......back in August 2019 I asked if I was eligible to join. Members kindly posted some useful information, and the conclusion was, I wasn't able to use the health system yet, as I am under station pension age, don't work, receive a small private pension, and hold a MEU1.
The only difference to my situation now, is that I have been living in Cyprus now for 5 years and 3 months.
Souniman commented that holders of MEU1/MEU3 can be members without holding an S1 form. I'm a little confused now!
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Yes you are entitled as an MEU3 holder/permanent resident 3rd country national - see no. 2 on the link:

https://www.gesy.org.cy/sites/Sites?d= ... -final.pdf

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
CyprusSue

Post by CyprusSue »

Thank you very much Jeanne.
A very useful document. I can see that I am eligible, and I'll now proceed to join the GESY system.
CyprusSue

Post by CyprusSue »

As I'm not in possession of a MEU3 Certificate yet....(I have lived in Cyprus for just over 5 years, but still only hold a MEU1), I unfortunately can't complete the registration form.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

CyprusSue wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:16 pm As I'm not in possession of a MEU3 Certificate yet....(I have lived in Cyprus for just over 5 years, but still only hold a MEU1), I unfortunately can't complete the registration form.
Only having an MEU1 is not a bar to joining Gesy. Both my wife and I have MEU1 and an S1 form and are in Gesy
Trev..
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:57 pm Yes you are entitled as an MEU3 holder/permanent resident 3rd country national - see no. 2 on the link:

https://www.gesy.org.cy/sites/Sites?d= ... -final.pdf

Jeanne

Thank you, Lofos-Jan. Below are the eligible categories from the doc you referenced. I have MEU1. I assume that is NOT covered by any of these categories, so even though I pay GESY taxes, I cannot use the system?

 EU citizens with MEU3 permit
 3rd Country nationals with MEU3 permit
 3rd Country nationals with Immigration permit
 3rd Country nationals with long term residence permit
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Both my wife and myself have a MEU1 and we are in Gesy
Trev..
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Yes Trev but you have an S1 because you are claiming a UK state pension, this entitles you to be in Gesy.
If you were not eligible for an S1 an Meu 3 is required
David
CyprusSue

Post by CyprusSue »

Thanks everyone.......as I haven't applied for my MEU3 yet, I can't become a member.
I began to complete the registration form, and only got as far as choosing 'permanent resident', but the system recognised that I don't have the required MEU3 certificate.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

A subtle point on terminology, payment of taxes on income earned to fund the GESY, hence everybody now has to do a tax return, I don’t think is the same as entitlement to use the system which is based on permanent residence status eg holders of Cypriot passport or MEU3, or whatever it’s called now for U.K. expats, or payment of social insurance fees if an MEU 1 holder only unless an MEU 1 holder but entitled by S1.

Basically the systems assumes you have an MEU1 because you’re here to work or have reached pension age.

You can also qualify by virtue of being a spouse or dependent of someone who is qualified.
WHL

Post by WHL »

On a side note, I was listening to a local radio station this morning, and the government are looking at changes re the system, they are looking at increasing revenue, and the way people are over using it, in other words people are taking advantage of the system, and are asking GPs for unnecessary tests, referrals etc,
https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/11/04/our- ... -collapse/
Last edited by WHL on Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I think that it's inevitable that the tax of 2.65% will rise, also all other minimal costs like seeing a Dr and medicine payments etc
Last edited by Uncle D on Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
jeba

Post by jeba »

CyprusSue wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:16 pm As I'm not in possession of a MEU3 Certificate yet....(I have lived in Cyprus for just over 5 years, but still only hold a MEU1), I unfortunately can't complete the registration form.
If you are waiting for an appointment with the immigration department to apply for a MEU3 you might want to try a shortcut which worked for me: I had an appointment for 3 months later but wouldn´t have been in the country by that time. So, I simply went to the immigration department without an appointment early enough to be the first "customer" of that day. The lady allowed me to submit my application as I had all necessary documents with me. About two months later I received my MEU3.