Speeding fines

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Speeding fines

Post by WHL »

I was listening to the radio this morning and they had a Traffic police spokesman on, basically he said the new cameras will be issuing fines to the registered keeper of the car, so it doesn't matter if you sold that car ten years ago, if you didn't transfer ownership, then the buck stops with you,
glang3000

Re: Speeding fines

Post by glang3000 »

You have to transfer ownership in Cyprus as you can only tax the car if it's in your name and with insurance in your name.
WHL

Post by WHL »

glang3000 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:23 pm You have to transfer ownership in Cyprus as you can only tax the car if it's in your name and with insurance in your name.
What if the new owner doesn't bother with tax and insurance.
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:50 pm I thought if road tax was not paid for 4 or 5 years then the vehicle registration was deleted.
Not sure about that, but the tax just accumulates, and will have to be paid one day.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

An acquaintance in Pathos bought a car then registered it in his name etc. 3 weeks later he was issued with a parking fine from near Nicosia dated 4 weeks earlier. He pleaded his case that he wasn't then the owner and had only just bought the car and had not been anywhere near Nicosia.
Despite presenting his registration etc he was advised to pay it as opposing it would take time and cost more than the fine itself.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

bmwx5 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:30 am An acquaintance in Pathos ...
Unfortunately, a pathetically frequent misspelling :cry: :cry: :twisted: :twisted:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:33 pm
bmwx5 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:30 am An acquaintance in Pathos ...
Unfortunately, a pathetically frequent misspelling :cry: :cry: :twisted: :twisted:
I wouldn't worry about it, its not a big deal :roll:
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

as if peeple did knot af anyfing butter to do but check people's spilling and grammar !
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

mouse wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:50 pm I thought if road tax was not paid for 4 or 5 years then the vehicle registration was deleted.
It's only 2 years. My neighbour hadn't been out since December 2019 and when they came recently they had to go to the Road Transport Department twice and re-register their car and pay a hefty fee.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The Road Tax can be paid online via JCC.
I believe if you don't pay it and don't SORN the car then you are liable for the 'back tax' ie the months and years the car has not been taxed.
Trev..
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

If the car is not taxed for 3 years the registration is deleted and before you can tax or drive the car it has to be re registered.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Double check with Road Transport but you might have to take the car down to them to have it inspected,my Lotus has been off the road not scorned for two and a half years and I have to take it down for inspection then pay the back road tax then have it re registered!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Cameras, have a read of this in the CM.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/11/02/driv ... e-licence/
WHL

Post by WHL »

Paul wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:25 am Cameras, have a read of this in the CM.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/11/02/driv ... e-licence/
I wouldn't worry too much, as soon as fines are being dished out, the majority of drivers will conform to he rules.
jeba

Post by jeba »

glang3000 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:24 pm If the car is not taxed for 3 years the registration is deleted and before you can tax or drive the car it has to be re registered.
You can still drive a car even if it`s not registered nor insured. They guy I had sold my car to last year has done just that. On that occasion I learned that you have to inform the road traffic department within (Ithink) 30 days of the sale and provide them with name and address of the buyer. It´s not good enough to have the TOM9 stamped.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:05 am
glang3000 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:24 pm If the car is not taxed for 3 years the registration is deleted and before you can tax or drive the car it has to be re registered.
You can still drive a car even if it`s not registered nor insured. They guy I had sold my car to last year has done just that. On that occasion I learned that you have to inform the road traffic department within (Ithink) 30 days of the sale and provide them with name and address of the buyer. It´s not good enough to have the TOM9 stamped.
You can drive a car, if not insured, I don't think so.
Last edited by WHL on Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I would agree wholeheartedly with that. You are not 'allowed' to drive a car with no insurance covering it

Trev..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:55 am I think the point being made , you may buy a an uunroad worthy vehicle which has no tax , insurance, mot and you have no licence , BUT if it starts you can drive it , although not legally !
You can drive any car if you have the key, drive it without insurance, run someone over, then spend a few years in jail, terrible advice by Jeba, buy a car then get it transported to your home, if you dont have insurance is the best advice.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

mouse wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:55 am I think the point being made , you may buy a an uunroad worthy vehicle which has no tax , insurance, mot and you have no licence , BUT if it starts you can drive it , although not legally !
And may the Lord help you, should you get involved in an accident when driving it as above. You may well find that you have iron bars across your window. On the other hand, the right thing to do is to get a garage with red on white professional number plates to take it to wherever you wish.
jeba

Post by jeba »

That sums it up pretty well.