Post Office customs duty/vat payment

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
DavidatLWH

Post Office customs duty/vat payment

Post by DavidatLWH »

I've had a text message from Cyprus Post telling me that I have to pay the vat on a parcel (a small book!). They have sent me a link which doesn't work (https://cyprus.post-delivery.online/).

I have already registered with Thalis, but that seems be unconnected as Thalis doesn't know my PO box number!

Any suggestions gratefully received.
trevnhil

Re: Post Office customs duty/vat payment

Post by trevnhil »

I would go down to the Main post office to enquire there..
Trev..
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Many thanks, Trev.

The odd thing is that the book I mentioned is a gift from my sister. I'm surprised I have to pay anything on that. Next time, she can ask a friend to bring anything in their suitcase!

Yes, I'll go to the main post office. Not an experience to look forward to, though.
ludlowboy

Post by ludlowboy »

Yes, main post office, you will need Ref.no and maybe ‘proof of purchase’ (vat calculation)
Ps. Take a deckchair and a crossword!
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Better to ask for items to be sent with Tracking so you can follow the progress yourself.

However, just because an item is a gift it doesn't mean it's exempt from Vat or Duty anymore.

Also, there have been several warnings posted on social media and in the Cyprus Mail by Cyprus Post about scam messages asking for payment.

From numerous packages we've sent and tracked, an item where the post office believes there's a fee to pay, they drop a card through your mailbox if you are not present when they attempt to make the initial delivery.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

I recently registered with Thalis to allow me to pay for 2 parcels from eBay online with Cyprus Post I also had a card in the post box to bring proof of purchase for a small gift my daughters sent for my birthday.
The gift was £14 and I provided proof of purchase but still paid €7-20 customs duty and VAT , I questioned the cost and was told that's what I had to pay.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It would seem then that the 'lower limit' below which you pay nothing has been removed
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:15 am I read somewhere it is a scam ! There again I get the feeling official customs policy is a scam too !
Customs policy is not a scam, the UK is now out of the club, just one of the non benefits of leaving the EU.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Ok, if you weren't, what were you referring to?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Looks dodgy to me - the link in the message is for a domain that was registered in the US 11 days ago.

Domain not linked to any website and the name itself points to it being a scam.

The Cyprus post has recently warned about bogus emails being sent out regards tax owed for deliveries and
it's likely this is just another attempt via text message.

Cheers

Steve
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

bmwx5 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:05 am I recently registered with Thalis to allow me to pay for 2 parcels from eBay online with Cyprus Post I also had a card in the post box to bring proof of purchase for a small gift my daughters sent for my birthday.
The gift was £14 and I provided proof of purchase but still paid €7-20 customs duty and VAT , I questioned the cost and was told that's what I had to pay.
I am not sure what the category your gift was but here's a handy calculator for your to check what the fee may be.
When it get's to the bit asking for your email address to send you the result just close the box and the price appears.

On top of the above there may also be a fee from the Cyprus Post - one member reported being charged €3.50 by them
for opening the parcel to check the contents.

Finally when you say "recently" - prior to 3rd September some people were double charged by mistake and refunds are available.
Not sure if your delivery was after that?

Cheers

Steve
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

It would appear the 3-50 eu is a standard charge for them to open the parcel etc as that is what I was charged for the other 2 i was sent.
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

Hi There, This is a similar request for help/clarification please. I ordered some Omega 3 tablets directly from Poland and there were no additional shipping costs to pay.. Parcel arrived yesterday and I went down to local Post Office in PEYIA to pick it up and just signed for it.. Then today, I received a text message rom Paphos Post: QUOTE: " FROM PAFOS DISTRICT POST OFFICE, ARISTOTELI SAVVA 23, 8025 PAFOS/ΔEY-ΠAP 8:00-14:30. SALES INVOICE REQUIRED"

The actual cost of the item was about £5.50 and the address on the parcel clearly shows an address in Warsaw, Poland and there was no customs sticker on the parcel, and no invoice inside the parcel.

So my question is this : Is this some sort of a scam or am I expected to somehow pay the Post Office in Paphos some money? I paid for the goods on line through e-bay by debit card.

Any helpful advice as to what I should do please.