What the hoteliers really think of their guests...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Re: What the hoteliers really think of their guests...

Post by Jim B »

Hotels have a "Professional Tourist" list which is circulated throughout the countries involved in the Tourist Trade. This includes the tourists after freebies and those who try to claim their money back with accusations of poor service.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But there is the other side of the coin as well.. What guests think of the hoteliers

A couple of years back we were going to the UK via Manchester Airport. So we booked a night in one of the Airport hotels as we were not arriving until 1-30am.. I booked, and I paid in advance..

The day of travelling I phoned the hotel to remind them we would not be there until the early Morning. No Problem I was told, we will add a note on the computer..

But when we arrived we were told "Sorry No Rooms, we are full " I said you don't understand we have a room booked and paid for.. "We have no rooms"

They had sold our room to other people and we were told we could kip down on the couches in the lounge .... with other people in the same situation :-(
Trev..
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Loved that Lloyd & I'm sure many will have witnessed the breakfast up your jumper trick. Only time I was nearly caught was in Venice & there were some goodies in the bedroom which I assumed was part of the deal so opened a packet of nuts & wife said, You know you have to pay for these. I had already ate a few & then read the small print
Each item costs 12é so swiftly tried to look it unopened. I know a cheapskate but 12é for a small packet of nuts. At checkout I said no to the inevitable question. Moving on I think this could be an interesting thread so its Hotel confessional time :lol:
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

A guy I worked with came back from his holidays one year waxing lyrical about how great his holiday was.
A couple of days later I found him completing a form in the tea room.

As a matter of conversation I asked him what the form was for.

I'm making a complaint about my holiday he replied.

But I thought you had a great time I said, I did, it was brilliant he says.

Then why the complaint I asked.

Oh, I complain every year he says, I always get something back, in fact three years ago I got a free week as compensation.

Who's the daft one?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Some holidaymakers can be quite obnoxious and violent towards the staff. My Son in Law and other staff who work in one of the top hotels here were attacked by an 80 year old with a walking stick the other week. It may sound amusing but no fun getting whacked over the head with a stick.
Our daughter is a Supervisor in another big hotel here and her job is to deal with these people, one woman threw a plate of food at a waitress which knocked a couple of teeth out and caused facial injuries because she was requested not to take food out of the restaurant. She was arrested and it cost her €3,500 to get off the island.
There's some not very nice people about.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If you moan about too many cushions on a bed you deserve to be flung from the top of the hotel.

People, and especially British people, try to moan and fake illnesses etc to get money back etc. The British are now known for it, and it does us no favours whatsoever. When I suspect somebody is trying that on our Facebook group, I don't allow their posts.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

En suite bathrooms with glass doors. I don’t want to disturb my partner with the bathroom light when I need to go during the night. Also baths in the bedroom. Ridiculous.
LynneH, via thetimes.co.uk

This brought back some memories, about ten years ago my wife and I had a week over Christmas in New York, my wife booked a trendy boutique hotel called W in Times square, the bathroom walls were clear glass, I kid you not, even being married for nearly fifty years, watching each other use the toilet isn't our thing, but worse to come, my sister and brother in law were in New York at the same time, and popped in to see us, before going to LA the day after, we had dinner in the Hotel and after midnight, he went down to book a room for the night, he come back and said, you wont believe this, but they want five hundred dollars for one night, (Christmas eve), I said dont be daft just bunk down in our room for the night, sister came in bed with us ( big bed)and Brother in law slept on couch, so far so good, until the morning when we all want to shower and take a dump, no problem I said, you all sit on the bed looking the other way, the only problem have any of you been on the toilet without making a noise :shock: we still laugh about it.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Have to say I hate all those pillows on the beds, WHY?
My wife does at home as well, there's no point to them.
When she's away for a few days they lie on the floor until it's almost time for her to come home.

I also get grief when I put a mirror up, I place it at a height where I can see to get shaved etc,but my wife doesn't always agree🤣
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:31 am
Cappielow1 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:23 pmHave to say I hate all those pillows on the beds, WHY? My wife does at home as well, there's no point to them. When she's away for a few days they lie on the floor until it's almost time for her to come home.

Exact same here. In fact, when she's away, the bed doesn't even get made. I mean, what's the point :lol:

But that's the difference between men and women 8-)
Ditto
kansas

Post by kansas »

Always have at least three pillows on the bed, and look for the same in hotels. It means you can prop yourself up and have a read. By he way, wifey has typed this!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Likewise, I have three pillows on the bed at home. I do take one off when going to sleep, so I am just sleeping on two.
Trev..
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Reminds me of a cruise we went on many moons ago. A couple with unmistakable Essex accents, silver matching tracksuits, fake tans and gold training shoes were complaining very loudly at a busy reception. “When we were on the Queen Mary 2 last year we had Moulten Brown shampoo and conditioner, but now we only have Vidal Sassoon”. The receptionist quick as a flash said “ if you’d like to pay an additional £460 per night each for this cruise as it was on the QM2 for this trip, then I will personally buy you Moulten Brown products”.

The couple made a hasty retreat to the applause and cheers of the other guests in the reception area.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I make the bed. It's only a duvet after all. If you can't make that, God help you!

A good reason to make the bed is so that no matter how shit you day has been, you know that you can go home and flop down on your bed without having to make it first. If you haven't achieved anything else in that day, you have at least managed to make your bed.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I hate beds without a sheet & agree with comments about not making it when the wife is away. My wife was a nurse so no surprise that you are even more knackered after struggling to get these neatly sheets out of the mattress :evil:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:46 pm I make the bed. It's only a duvet after all. If you can't make that, God help you!

A good reason to make the bed is so that no matter how shit you day has been, you know that you can go home and flop down on your bed without having to make it first. If you haven't achieved anything else in that day, you have at least managed to make your bed.
I agree, I lived in hotels for literally years when I was working overseas and I used to make the bed and tidy up the room every morning before leaving for work and do the same at home.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Why keep a dog and bark yourself in an hotel which will probably change your sheets, anyway? :D :D :twisted:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Devil wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 pm Why keep a dog and bark yourself in an hotel which will probably change your sheets, anyway? :D :D :twisted:
Quite true but just one of my idiosyncrasies.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:15 am Hotel I stayed at in Brussels recently had quite a nice policy. If you didn't need your room cleaned each day you hung a tag on the outside door handle. In return for the savings the hotel made they gave you a €5 token which you could either use at the bar/restaurant, or go you could pay into a machine in the Reception area where you could choose which of three charities your €5 went towards. One was local food banks and the other two were 'green' based charities. A nice touch which I gladly went along with.
Recently stayed at a premier inn in London, and they only clean your room if you ask, first time I've come across this, nothing about giving a refund thou.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Assuming that there may be tea and coffee making facilities in the room, they would have to go in to replenish those supplies.
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:52 pm Assuming that there may be tea and coffee making facilities in the room, they would have to go in to replenish those supplies.
There were tea/coffee facilities but still only come in if you ask, we didnt know about this rule, we came back the first evening and found the room hadnt been clean, so I went down to reception, and I was told you must tell them what days you want the cleaner to come, so I booked her for everyday, all new to me .