Palm Tree Advice

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
hutch642

Palm Tree Advice

Post by hutch642 »

Hi. Because of Covid we were not able to get out to our house for 22 months. We have been here for 10 days now. We had a bad leak which caused quite a bit of damage and if it wasn’t for a friend we have it would have been a lot worse. A lot of it was due to all the seeds that drop from a nearby palm tree blocking a gutter. The palm tree is outside on the pavement so I guess the council planted it many years ago. It is 15 to 20 metres high. I emailed the council to ask if they would chop it down but as expected I have heard nothing. I also emailed a company in Paphos who advertised tree felling just to ask the approximate cost to do it but not heard anything back. Someone said if the council did plant them I may have to ask permission first. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and how was it resolved. Thanks
WHL

Re: Palm Tree Advice

Post by WHL »

Usually the pavement in front of your house is your responsibility, that is why people plant trees on them, we have a couple of fir trees, and when they get near to the electricity /cyta cables, we phone the electricity board and they come and cut them back free of charge, I dont think you would be in trouble if you get someone to chop them down.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think if you are here you should go and see the council at their offices, and probably take some photographs.
Some organisations in Cyprus aren't good with emails.
Call into the offices and talk to them ..
Trev..
ast

Post by ast »

I have always found going to the local council office gets things sorted, our local office in chloraka are very good. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
hutch642

Post by hutch642 »

Thanks for the replies. I’ll find out where the council offices are and pay a visit
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If you say where you are somebody may be able to tell you where they are.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:36 pm Usually the pavement in front of your house is your responsibility, that is why people plant trees on them, we have a couple of fir trees, and when they get near to the electricity /cyta cables, we phone the electricity board and they come and cut them back free of charge, I dont think you would be in trouble if you get someone to chop them down.
I don't follow your logic as to why people plant trees on the pavement?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:58 pm
WHL wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:36 pm Usually the pavement in front of your house is your responsibility, that is why people plant trees on them, we have a couple of fir trees, and when they get near to the electricity /cyta cables, we phone the electricity board and they come and cut them back free of charge, I dont think you would be in trouble if you get someone to chop them down.
I don't follow your logic as to why people plant trees on the pavement?
I didn't make myself clear, usually the pavement infront of your house is part of your plot of land, so people take advantage of this and plant trees, ( seems stupid to me because people then need to step in the road to get around them)
But when we bought our house there were to very high fir trees already there.
ast

Post by ast »

Same outside our house on the pavement a lemon tree and an orange both planted by the developer upon completion of the house in 2003, we prune them and everyone helps themselves to the fruit. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Deters people from parking cars, lorries, buses etc on the pavement.
hutch642

Post by hutch642 »

Dominic we are in Paphos just off Tomb Of The Kings Road near Pitstop pub