UK to build new Nuclear Power Station

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

UK to build new Nuclear Power Station

Post by Dominic »

I didn't turn this into a news article as it is about the UK, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion. Personally, I think Nuclear may well turn out to be the only option.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/uk-to-f ... ero-drive/
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Re: UK to build new Nuclear Power Station

Post by trevnhil »

One cannot help but wonder where it will be built.
I believe the is space and that there were plans for a Third Nuclear power station at Heysham in Lancashire
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

And when will Cyprus build one? India has a design for a small thorium (not uranium) ultrasafe reactor with one that has been working for several years. They are currently building a small power station based on this kind of reactor, which is an ideal size for half the needs of this country. In addition, Rolls-Royce are promoting a mini uranium reactor power station, which would also be of about the same size. I guess it's time for Cyprus to go shopping for a nuclear power station. A
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I worked on the build of Heysham 1 many moons ago and always believed that's the way Cyprus should go, build a nuclear power station. Seeing the problems Lebanon are having , a power station big enough to export energy there and fill the needs of the whole island would be a nice little earner and hopefully pull the two communities closer together.
Two Power Stations were being built though Hitachi pulled out of the one being built at Wylfa in Angelsey.
The company I worked for used to construct "off the shelf" gas and nuclear power stations and had just completed the front end engineering for 12 nuclear power stations in the UAE before I retired.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Heysham 2 plant is scheduled to continue running until 2030 but plans are in place to add extra buildings to enhance some of the staff facilities for the 1,500 employees.

However, there's talk of building a training facility which will be used to prepare for such an event as what happened at he Fukushima plant some time ago.

Not long after we moved here, we attended a meeting at the golf club about the plans for the tidal barrage at the mouth of the River Wyre as well as Halites plans to drill 19 underground caverns for gas storage.

Inevitably, discussion also came up about "what if" and Heysham. Apparently meetings about the 2nd station had happened some years before and the flippant remark after heated questioning over what happens should there be a leakage or explosion, of "hide behind a caravan".

Somehow, I don't think we would know too much about it!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:25 am And when will Cyprus build one? India has a design for a small thorium (not uranium) ultrasafe reactor with one that has been working for several years. They are currently building a small power station based on this kind of reactor, which is an ideal size for half the needs of this country. In addition, Rolls-Royce are promoting a mini uranium reactor power station, which would also be of about the same size. I guess it's time for Cyprus to go shopping for a nuclear power station. A
Is it Earthquake resistant? :shock:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:57 am
Is it Earthquake resistant? :shock:
The Indian one, yes, that has been taken into account in view of the frequent earthquakes in the north of the country. As for the Rolls-Royce one, I don't know the answer but I would imagine that they have taken it into account.
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:01 am One cannot help but wonder where it will be built.
I believe the is space and that there were plans for a Third Nuclear power station at Heysham in Lancashire
I thought this was a done deal and had been in the public domain for quite a while, as the land preparations / consultations have been going on for a couple of years. Unless of course this is something completely new, it'll be in Suffolk on the east coast at Sizewell.