Consumers should brace for much higher prices in basic goods this Christmas

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Consumers should brace for much higher prices in basic goods this Christmas

Post by Paphos Life »

Consumers in Cyprus should brace for much higher prices this Christmas in basic goods such as bread, flour, cereal, meat, milk, eggs and cheese.In fact, prices are expected to peak by up to 20%, Philenews reported on Friday....

Read the article and chat about it below...
trevnhil

Re: Consumers should brace for much higher prices in basic goods this Christmas

Post by trevnhil »

It is one of those things that is half expected and we (the consumer) can do little about :-(
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Going to be difficult for families on low incomes, throw in to the mix, higher electricity , fuel etc etc.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Electricity may stabilise for a little while as although fuel will be dearer I thought they were reducing the price of electricity by 10%

But the cost of fuel for vehicles is already increasing steadily. And I would think the price of Gas will increase as well..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I read on 'In Cyprus' website, that the price of the cereals used to feed cattle and other farm animals is also going to rise substantially. This will automatically cause a price rise for most of the basic foods that we all need to buy. As wheat is one of the grains affected. Farmers are being encouraged to buy 4% more of cattle feed as a margin to tide them through to next spring.
Yes as Trev says it will be more expensive for everyone this winter with both food price rises, fuel increases and probably gas as well.
Very difficult for poor families.
Yes, I also read that Govt are going to subsiidise electricity prices by 10% for 4 months from November which is great news!
Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:18 am I made a post about 6 months ago (but now can't find) pointing out that huge inflationary price increases were about to slam the world.

In the past 6 months we have had two manufacturer price increase on one main product line, a 13% increase on another, and on our main product we are warned that our next order will cost 15% more than earlier this year, plus the cost of getting it here by container will be €8,500 rather than €1,000 previously.

Similar happened at Green Air. A quotation from a manufacturer in Germany increased 50% and with it also the transport costs. Ten 40 ft container from Hamburg/Germany to Cyprus were Summer 2020 ca 19.000 Euro, but now they ask for 39.000 Euro (Hamburg-Limassol)

Very difficult to charge the customer so much more in a short time. The only option is to find a producer locally and then there are no transport costs from abroad. However the question is quality as well....

Max
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

mouse wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:43 am Looking at it from an ecological stance then manufacturing/ producing locally to sell locally would be better , whilst all items cannot be produced locally , many more could if they wanted to. Why are shops stocked with imported vegetables and fruit which are grown or have been on the island ?
Because they're cheaper I suppose.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Taking one item that is produced her and imported... Bananas. The local ones are cheaper, but they are quite small. I assume this is why imported ones sell well..

Similar for Lettuce.. You can buy local ones, or Cos lettuce which is imported and sells for around 2 euros
Trev..
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Local banana are smaller but have much more flavour, don’t like imported ones
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
WHL

Post by WHL »

The only imported fruit we buy is pineapple, why buy grapes from south africa or lemons from Argentina, when cyprus ones are much more tastier
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:44 pm I read on 'In Cyprus' website, that the price of the cereals used to feed cattle and other farm animals is also going to rise substantially. This will automatically cause a price rise for most of the basic foods that we all need to buy. As wheat is one of the grains affected. Farmers are being encouraged to buy 4% more of cattle feed as a margin to tide them through to next spring.
Yes as Trev says it will be more expensive for everyone this winter with both food price rises, fuel increases and probably gas as well.
Yes, I also read that Govt are going to subsiidise electricity prices by 10% for 4 months from November which is great news!
Dee
This isn't a direct reply to your post and I don't want to be an arse about this (for once) but meat should be an expensive occasional treat, rather than the three-times-a-day staple it is for some. I gave up waiting for meat to become ethically produced a year ago and am now happy on a vegetarian diet. It's possible for us all to eat humanely, sustainably produced meat, but not on an industrial basis and it will have to cost more. If we eat less meat, other foods will become less expensive and CO2 emissions will decrease.
WHL

Post by WHL »

wantoosoon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:50 pm
Kili01 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:44 pm I read on 'In Cyprus' website, that the price of the cereals used to feed cattle and other farm animals is also going to rise substantially. This will automatically cause a price rise for most of the basic foods that we all need to buy. As wheat is one of the grains affected. Farmers are being encouraged to buy 4% more of cattle feed as a margin to tide them through to next spring.
Dee
This isn't a direct reply to your post and I don't want to be an arse about this (for once) but meat should be an expensive occasional treat, rather than the three-times-a-day staple it is for some. I gave up waiting for meat to become ethically produced a year ago and am now happy on a vegetarian diet. It's possible for us all to eat humanely, sustainably produced meat, but not on an industrial basis and it will have to cost more. If we eat less meat, other foods will become less expensive and CO2 emissions will decrease.
Nah not buying your argument, more people eating veg, will send the price up , supply and demand, also im fed up with vegetarians and vegans, giving others sanctimonious lectures on not eating meat so bringing the CO2 levels down, while at the same time driving huge 4x4 fuel gazerlers, my Brother in law and sister are prime examples, both vegan both drive massive cars.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It will make a difference if we all went vegan, and to suggest otherwise is bull.

That won't make me go vegan. Let's face it, if the treatment of animals isn't enough to make me put the bacon butty down, then helping to stop the destruction of the planet is hardly likely to either. A baby lamb is cute, but I would still eat it. The concept of preserving the planet doesn't have a face, so it has no chance.

Here's an unbiased article:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide ... nvironment

It has pros and cons, but veganism does come out as better for the environment. And I say that as a meat eater who finds most vegans annoying.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I have not read the whole of this thread, just the last few posts, so I may be putting my foot in where angels fear to tread. I worked with the United Nations Environment Programme for well over 20 years and had the honour to receive their most prestigious award, so I cite this as indicating that I am not entirely ignorant of the interaction between nature and human activity. In my opinion, there is some truth and some twaddle regarding the current situation, especially regarding the carbon cycle. Whether you are directly or indirectly burning fossil fuel, or planting trees or culling cattle, the long-term effect may be more or less important than you think and NO, I'm not being revolutionary. Okay, we are currently emitting carbon dioxide, a gas which stays in the atmosphere for about 300 years (approximation). So, what do we do? Oh! Let's plant trees! During their growth phase, they will absorb a few tonnes of carbon dioxide. At the end of life, the tree may be burnt (lightning strike or human use) or it may fall to the ground and eventually rot. Either way, the carbon and that will be released back into the atmosphere. Long-term carbon loading roughly neither negative nor positive (give or take a few approximations). The net result will be close to zero over a small number of centuries. Similarly, the carbon dioxide and methane produced by cattle belching is absorbed naturally and enters into the natural carbon cycle. The fact that most of the cattle are wild in the Serengeti and Masai Mara is often ignored and only man reared cattle are taken into account. Believe me, if the whole of the South American cattle market went vegetarian, it would have little effect on the carbon loading of the atmosphere because we would have to burn correspondingly more wood in order to manufacture vast quantities of artificial fertilisers to replace the natural ones. I agree that this post is not intended to give an accurate accounting of the carbon cycle but simply to let people know and approximation that much of what extremist greens propose is a total load of twaddle.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

My digestive system doesn't allow me to enjoy as much red meat these days so for the last 3+ years we rarely eat steak, liver or any dense meat.

I've never been a fan of pork but could generally manage a couple of pieces of souvla from the BBQ when it was being done at our local bar once a week in Cyprus.

So now, it's mostly variations of meals based around chicken or minced beef in small portions.

Even so, I do like meat and although I would eat the vegetarian options at least a couple of times a week in the canteen at work before we made our move to Cyprus and would choose the veggie in-flight meals when flying with my employers as I got bored of chicken outbound and turkey on the return, I couldn't eat a curry that didn't contain chicken.

We've tried various soya based and meat free alternatives but the texture is either "off" or there's a background taste.

My other half loves sausages where I'm not a lover of them although occasionally, would work my way through a couple as best as possible with mashed spuds and lashings of gravy.

We've trialled a few meat free alternatives but haven't been able to get our hands on any of the Richmond brand which come highly recommended. However, I have found one kind so far which are stocked in one of our village supermarkets, called Little Willie's.

They are skinny and tasty, which for the moment will suffice over the coming winter months and means at least when someone wants sausages, it means I don't have to come up with an alternative dish each time.

Fish is always an option and we eat it regularly but I couldn't eat it on a permanent basis. I tend to have salmon which we buy whole and have it filleted by the fishmonger, or various white fish, smoked haddock etc when my other half gets the opportunity for steak, whether that be beef or pork.

Not being the greatest vegetable lover has its issues too! I hate aubergine and courgette which tends to appear in most veggie dishes. I can't stand veg which turns to mush. And I prefer to eat broccoli and carrots raw, never eat the cauliflower head as I prefer the stalk.

Good job I like rice!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Personally I find that meat hasn't got much flavour anymore. Usually you have to put something with it to make it tasty, so for me it's a waste of money.

Much prefer to cook with halloumi or fish. Could I be a vegetarian, I think yes, as long as I didn't smell bacon cooking :?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

If everyone stopped eating meat farmers would not breed the animals and they would eventually be in danger of becoming extinct
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:48 pm If everyone stopped eating meat farmers would not breed the animals and they would eventually be in danger of becoming extinct
Good point, no one is going to keep a cow as a pet, if everyone stopped eating , you would probably have to go to a zoo to see a cow
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Only if we stopped drinking cows milk as well .
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Don't know it you are right in your belief that that everything is being controlled due to the pandemic, Tanny. However here are just 2 of the reasons for this there are others too.. But if you read the press the cost for moving all kinds of goods by container or airfreight has rocketed, (so probably includes foods which are ordered from other parts of the world to the country that needs them). Also there is a shortage of wheat and other cereals, for animal feed and for preparation of basic food stuffs. so prices there are rising and set to continue.

Lloyd, where cows are concerned farmers tend to have different cattle breeds for dairy farming, or breeds which produce premium beef. For example Friesons, Guernsey or Jersey cows which provide plenty of milk, or beef breeds such as Aberdeen Angus or Hereford, to name a few. There are a few breeds who I believe can produce both but probably not commanding good prices. Scientists now say that eating small amounts of 'red meat' is good, as it provides plenty of iron.

Dee