Era & Superhomes closure

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Re: Era & Superhomes closure

Post by memory man »

Paphos department store employees protest court closure order

A large number of employees protested a court decision on Monday to shut down the Era Korivos department store in Paphos, which would see around 200 people losing their jobs.

The employees marched from the department store to the Paphos town Hall holding banners saying, “Give us back our jobs”, and “Hands off Korivos”, where they delivered a memo for the mayor and the municipal council.

Following a legal battle between the owners of the commercial centre and the Paphos municipality over changes to the building, which the authority said were “arbitrary”, the business was ordered by court in September to stop using the building. It gave the business two months to comply, unless it obtained a final permit by the Paphos municipality.

The shop is slated to shut down by November 14.

A representative of the employees, Constantina Sarafi, said their appeal to the municipality was “their last hope” calling on the local authority to prevent the shuttering of the store and leading more than 200 people into unemployment. She also said this would affect many suppliers.

In the memo, the employees express sorrow for this development and the fact that they will be left without a job around mid-November, which is close to the Christmas and New Year’s holidays. They also said this would also affect tens of thousands of consumers.

The department store, they said, was licensed and has been operating as such since 2001 without any problems. The memo also refers to a cabinet decision of December 2018 authorising the Paphos municipality to issue an amended town planning permit to the Korivos Commercial Centre to operate as a department store.

Paphos municipality said last week the Era supermarket was operating illegally as a department store “with arbitrary large-scale additions, both indoors and in the parking lot, for which a criminal case is pending before the Paphos district court”.

It also called on the company, instead of using its employees to blackmail the municipality and its council, to assume its responsibilities by lifting the illegalities so that it can secure the necessary permit.

The company concerned, CTC Plc, on Monday called on the municipality to issue the necessary permit which the company is entitled to hold, accusing the local authority of refusal to grant the permit even though the town planning department had given the green light when asked back in 2016.

Ermes Department Stores PLC and Woolworth (Cyprus) Properties PLC said last month that the court ruling has been appealed. They also said the process regarding the building’s final approval was initiated a long time ago but was not completed, “for reasons that are not due to any fault on the part of our companies or disregard of our companies’ legal obligations, but to the handling of the entire issue on the part of the Paphos municipality.”

They said the Korivos Commercial Centre, where a mall as well as a commercially independent Superhome Centre DIY are operating, was officially inaugurated in 2001. The businesses there have been operating for about 20 years completely safely and smoothly the companies said.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/10/18/paph ... t-closure/
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

In the store again today Busy as usual. Got what I wanted.
All things are possible
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Delighted to hear that Lincoln. 😁 I spent many a happy hour or two in yon shop . . . .and still have many items which I bought in there during our 'mostly happy' years living in Cyprus.

I still have a few treasured items from our POINTS collected in Orphanides. What bargains they were😲😲😲 and, I'm useless at bargains. In fact, I promise I will post a photo of one my most prized possessions which many peeps here in the UK admire. It is a set of six different coloured 'shapely' dishes set in a sort off wired frame . . . . .and I think it cost about €14😲.

I know, I'm just reminiscing now . . . . 😣😣😣 But, lovely memories all the same.

I really hope this store will survive the storm.

Maggie B
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

mouse wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:25 am I too am happy it has reopened , I rarely do internet shopping , 1. can't see and touch what your buying so not sure it is right ! 2. Got done by a system I did not understand , i paid €120 for engine flywheel but it never arrived and no refund. I feel it is easier to go to a shop and buy it ! Clearly I am a dieing minority.
I am in the same club as you. I want to see it. Feel it. Make sure it is what I want. Always shop in the shop and not over the internet. :D
All things are possible
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Mouse and Lincoln. I agree to some extent. . . . But, it is a fact of life nowadays that you have far more protection if you buy online; e.g., if I went into a Sofa shop (couch in Scotland🤣) and said "That's the one I want." Paid for it, had it delivered . . .and then decided it was too big, too small or I just didn't like it. I would have to prove there was something WRONG with it to be able to return it.

If I order a couch online. It arrives. I don't like it. I can return it within a certain given time and give very little or no reason!!! It's the online protection 'thing.'

I have ordered many hundreds of things online over the past 10/15 years or so, and have only ever had to return ONE item. It was a kitchen tap. When it arrived it looked like an industrial kitchen tap as it was GINORMOUS! Absolutely no problems and no cost to me. However, I didn't feel too guilty as their description was not 100% clear.

Maybe you should just 'go for your life! And give it a try?

Maggie B
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

My first attempt at ordering Groceries on line, in the UK, while I was in house quarantine, was a disaster really. I had trouble finding and choosing items on their extensive web site, but when I eventually did, I waited for ages in a queue, waiting my turn to eventually speak to someone. to order and pay. I was then told that due to the pandemic this was fairly normal. I had to give details of my debit card then to secure my delivery, next morning at 6.30 am! The following morning staff select the items ordered. But in my case some items weren't available. The store then assembled it the next morning, but as some food items were unavailable. So they either substituted something different, or maybe the requested item was deleted. They then amended my order, and as some of the original items were absent, the final total, had changed.
My bank weren't asked to accept a different final total. So, with the current covid rules in the UK, my (UK bank) was shocked to find the total payment had changed. They suspected fraud, before I was even told what had happened. When I found out that the payment made had been stopped by the bank. Who immediately cancelled my debit card! So I ended up waiting 5 days for a nw one to arrive!
Dee