Era & Superhomes closure

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
dodo

Era & Superhomes closure

Post by dodo »

Heard today that Era and Superhomes are closing on Friday, anyone else heard?
Following article states staff have organised a protest march on Monday here in Paphos.

https://pafospress.com/pafos-vgainoyn-s ... -oi-ergaz/
Jim B

Re: Era & Superhomes closure

Post by Jim B »

I read there's a court case going on about licensing, in fact it's been going on for several years and is finally coming to a head.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

For those who cannot translate the provided link into English.. Here is what it says

"The employees of the ERA KORIVOS department store in Paphos are organizing a march to the Paphos City Hall for Monday, October 18 at 8 o'clock in the morning, protesting against the decision issued by the Paphos District Court to stop the use of the building.

Workers who take to the streets say they are determined to keep their jobs and say that they and their families are the victims of this "legal battle" that broke out between the owner company and the Municipality of Paphos.

According to the history of the case, following a decree of the Paphos District Court to terminate the use of the building, within two months from September 14, 2021 the owner company must obtain from the Municipality of Paphos, as a Competent Authority, a certificate of final approval.

According to a previous announcement of the Municipality of Paphos, the supermarket in question operates illegally as a department store with arbitrary large-scale additions, both indoors and in the parking lot, for which a criminal case is pending before the Paphos District Court."
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I think there's quite a few other places operating without licences that should be addressed before going after this particular company. Paphos needs department stores like this. Same happened with the Planet Cinema Complex.
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

Since there is a sign inside Superhome Centre saying that it will be closed on Ochi Day, I think the rumours of permanent closure are a bit premature.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:05 am I think there's quite a few other places operating without licences that should be addressed before going after this particular company. Paphos needs department stores like this. Same happened with the Planet Cinema Complex.
Why, if a place is allegedly operating Illegaly, why should any place be exempt from prosecution?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I don't understand why businesses are allowed to open in the first place without a license, especially without a final certificate of completion?
There used to be a supermarket there at the back of Debenhams (as it then was). But it was removed suddenly a few years ago to extend the retail space for new cheaper brands of clothes, such as Peacocks.
Dee
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

I believe that some of the problems businesses have here is being able to obtain the required licenses that enable them to continue operating, especially in the leisure industry, which require renewing on a regar basis.
Last year a read an article published by an international business magazine who ran a survey as to how long it took to get planning permission and to meet local requiements for a simple storage warehouse. Singapore was the most efficient at 6 weeks, sadly Cyprus came last at 2 years 4 months.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

WHL wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:38 am
Jim B wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:05 am I think there's quite a few other places operating without licences that should be addressed before going after this particular company. Paphos needs department stores like this. Same happened with the Planet Cinema Complex.
Why, if a place is allegedly operating Illegaly, why should any place be exempt from prosecution?
Because they say they are not operating illegally and they submitted the required documents years ago and are still waiting for them to be cleared by the town hall and it appears a bit of a witch hunt whereas there are bars opening up without licences or planning permission on the coast road that are in dangerous locations and nothing happens. It is a major employer in the town and both should be working together for a solution.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:16 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:38 am
Because they say they are not operating illegally and they submitted the required documents years ago and are still waiting for them to be cleared by the town hall and it appears a bit of a witch hunt whereas there are bars opening up without licences or planning permission on the coast road that are in dangerous locations and nothing happens. It is a major employer in the town and both should be working together for a solution.
There are always two sides to a story.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We were in there this morning ordered what we wanted all OK. Up to the cafe had a cold drink. Everything looks the same to me.
All things are possible
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

My partner spoke to security who told her that both stores will be closing their doors tonight for at least 2 weeks to allow time to try and sort everything out and he was quite angry about it.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:31 pm
There used to be a supermarket there at the back of Debenhams (as it then was). But it was removed suddenly a few years ago to extend the retail space for new cheaper brands of clothes, such as Peacocks.
Dee
You've lost me, I can't remember a supermarket at back of Debenhams. :? :? :?
I remember pre Papantonious there was a large shop called The Incredible Store
which changed a little and split into 2, 1 supermarket and 1 fancy goods shop.
Isn't Peacocks opposite where Debenhams was/is??

:? :? :?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

memory man wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:56 pm
Kili01 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:31 pm
Dee
You've lost me, I can't remember a supermarket at back of Debenhams. :? :? :?
I remember pre Papantonious there was a large shop called The Incredible Store
which changed a little and split into 2, 1 supermarket and 1 fancy goods shop.
Isn't Peacocks opposite where Debenhams was/is??

:? :? :?
There was a food department down stairs in Debenhams that closed, maybe that's what Dee is referring to.
ast

Post by ast »

There was definitely an area at the back of the debenhams shop that sold food, no longer there. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

ast wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:08 pm There was definitely an area at the back of the debenhams shop that sold food, no longer there. 8-)
Being from Geroskipou, we used to shop there quite a lot. Sad when it closed
Paul

Post by Paul »

My late wife and I used to go to Debenhams food area when it was open, when we lived in Paphos area.
Paul
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Era / Superhome will close around the 14th November and not before.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Not a very good time for all the staff with Christmas approaching
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I wish that Debenhams was still there. I was sad when their department stores closed in the UK. Another British department store to close.
Yes, Debenham's had 2 stores in Paphos at one time, The smaller one in Kato Paphos.
The large new store opened more recently, may be 15 years ago and offered far more retail space.
As others have said they did have a smallish supermarket selling food accessed through an internal entrance from the cosmetic and fashion department or directly from the doors at the side of the building, which was quite convenient.
Dee