Theft at Paphos Airport

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
2QuarterPints

Theft at Paphos Airport

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Some friends recently flew back to the UK after their first easing of Covid restrictions visit, having spent an enjoyable two weeks here. On the way through security they put their items in a scanner tray and then stepped through the people scanner. He was then taken to one side for what he subsequently learnt was a random drugs test, and whilst that was happening his wife, noting the delay, went to recover both trays, noticing immediately that his iPad had gone. They reported the theft to the security staff, and the Police, and were met with a complete lack of interest even though, surely for security purposes, he expected that area to be covered by CCTV. Huge fans of Cyprus, who have owned property here for many years, are now very disillusioned to put it mildly. To make matters worse, he's mid-70's and never touched an illegal drug in his life.
trevnhil

Re: Theft at Paphos Airport

Post by trevnhil »

This has always worried me at airport security checks, not just in Paphos but in the UK as well..
You have to put laptops, phones etc in the tray, and your shoes and your wallet. And quite often you have at least a couple of trays...
There is nothing at all to stop someone else from picking up things from your tray at the far end of the belt system
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

2QuarterPints wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:00 pm Some friends recently flew back to the UK after their first easing of Covid restrictions visit, having spent an enjoyable two weeks here. On the way through security they put their items in a scanner tray and then stepped through the people scanner. He was then taken to one side for what he subsequently learnt was a random drugs test, and whilst that was happening his wife, noting the delay, went to recover both trays, noticing immediately that his iPad had gone. They reported the theft to the security staff, and the Police, and were met with a complete lack of interest even though, surely for security purposes, he expected that area to be covered by CCTV. Huge fans of Cyprus, who have owned property here for many years, are now very disillusioned to put it mildly. To make matters worse, he's mid-70's and never touched an illegal drug in his life.
Went through a few weeks ago, wife was stopped for body search, as her bra set off the beep, so I went and picked up both trays, and went further along to a table were I could sort things out, wife comes says where my iPad, it was in another tray by its self, went back to the trays and there it was, could their I pad been put in by its self and someone placed nother tray on top by mistake?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

That part of the security check is always a worry. We try to go through with a gap of at least one other persons belongings in between ours so we can attempt to keep an at either end of the chain.

The fact that little notice was taken of the theft is concerning though.

Saying that, we're aware of one couple who often "lose" or have "damage" to an expensive tablet on a fairly regular basis while travelling.

I guess airport officials hear this every day in all airports but they're not going to do a stop and search of every person in the vicinity due to holding up other travellers.

It's wrong at both ends of the scale. I hope your friends are going to follow up on it.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

They checked to ensure that the iPad had not come through separately, but no luck. On a brighter note, he immediately used his phone to wipe and lock the iPad to, hopefully, make it useless to the thief.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I cant believe there are no CCTV covering this area?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Same at Larnaca Airport.

The year before last I was returning to the UK, and put my expensive watch in the tray, I was having assistance through the airport, as I'm disabled.

The person helping me returned everything to me from the tray, except my watch, three times I asked for it, but the guy just ignored me, fortunately the passenger just ahead of me, reached into the tray and returned it to me, just as I was about to be whisked off.

Lesson learned, this year I bought a cheap watch from Amazon to take with me.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

I too have an expensive watch and Paphos security is the only aitport where I have had to take it off. Makes you wonder 🤔. I also now wear a cheap one to travel.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I thought watches were one of the things you always had to take off.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I always take my watch off and put it in my hand luggage before going through security along with my mobile and anything else like wallet or money, never lost anything yet, touch wood.

Going through Dubai a few years ago I emptied the security basket and found a large diamond studded gold bracelet lying in the bottom. I gave it to one of the security police ladies and hopefully the owner managed to get it back.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I’ve always though it was high risk to place wallet watch etc into the tray when going through security check, after check in desk I place all items of value in a pouch and place it in my hand luggage as you never know when that bleep goes off, it’s so easy for anyone to place their hand into your tray
I’m surprised at the lack of CCTV covering that area
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

Had to take mine off in Paphos for return last Weds but didnt have to at EMA for journey out.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It all seems quite wrong if there are no security cameras covering the conveyor belts with the open bins of peoples possessions. It always worries me seeing my trays going out of my sight.
It's even worse if one is picked out fairly randomly for some extra security or body search which means your trays are being left at the end of the belt out of sight and unattended. So, should anything go missing is anyone liable re an insurance claim?
Dee
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

I've always been asked to remove my watch at Glasgow, Edinburgh and Paphos
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I wasn't asked to remove my watch at Bristol Airport, but had to remove my belt. At Paphos a watch usually has to be removed, plus belt...jacket etc.i get nervous having to put out my IPhone and tablet into the airport bins. Usually cover them with another item, so they aren't visible to others. But presumably the airport security scanner will see them...
Wonder what happens should a passenger lose a valuable item. Do airports have any responsibility to take good care of passengers belongings while they are subject to security checking?
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

I'm going to the UK next month from Larnaca, and the first thing I will check out is, if there are any CCTV covering the X ray machines, I will be very surprised if there arnt any.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi WHL, please post your experience at Larnaca Security baggage check in due course. It will be of interest.
Thanks.

Dee
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Mmmmm,from the horses mouth,i have just spoken to someone who has worked at the airport for the past 4 years.She says she has not heard of any thefts and there ARE security camera,s covering ALL area,s including the area,where the thefts have allegedly taken place.This is at Paphos airport.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:36 am Mmmmm,from the horses mouth,i have just spoken to someone who has worked at the airport for the past 4 years.She says she has not heard of any thefts and there ARE security camera,s covering ALL area,s including the area,where the thefts have allegedly taken place.This is at Paphos airport.
I nearly left my wifes ipad recently, as I didnt see her put it in a tray by it self, she was having a body check as the bleeper went off for her, so I can see how things get left behind accidentally, as for thieves there will always be the one, who will take the opportunity to lift something, but knowing there are CCTV cameras everywhere, they might think better of it.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Confirmation that there are CCTV cameras at Paphos

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/08/05/man- ... tch-theft/