UK car hire with a CY licence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
DavidatLWH

UK car hire with a CY licence

Post by DavidatLWH »

I travel back to the UK regularly and hire a car each time, previously using my UK licence (I have a UK address).

I have recently changed my UK licence for a Cypriot one. I'm returning to the UK soon and having booked a car for hire through Avis, I noticed that it said in smallish print that "Non-UK driving licence holders must produce a translation of their licence and must hold an International Driving Licence". I see that other most UK car hire companies say much the same.

Has anyone hired a car recently with a CY licence, especially since Brexit kicked in (if that has anything to do with it) and did they come across this issue.

It's quite possible that the IDL etc won't be needed, as the big UK car hire companies also ask for copies of recent utility bills, but don't actually ask to see them when you arrive to collect the car.
WHL

Re: UK car hire with a CY licence

Post by WHL »

I rented two weeks ago at Luton airport with a Cyprus driving license, no problems.

have you thought of joining their, Avis Preferred .... doesn't cost anything, and you get to skip waiting lines, paperwork etc and get up grades etc.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

WHL wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:55 am I rented two weeks ago at Luton airport with a Cyprus driving license, no problems.

have you thought of joining their, Avis Preferred .... doesn't cost anything, and you get to skip waiting lines, paperwork etc and get up grades etc.
Many thanks, WHL. I am Avis Preferred, and shall check in before I fly. Good to hear that you used the same hire company!

Appreciate the reassuring reply.
WHL

Post by WHL »

DavidatLWH wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:10 pm
WHL wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:55 am I rented two weeks ago at Luton airport with a Cyprus driving license, no problems.

Many thanks, WHL. I am Avis Preferred, and shall check in before I fly. Good to hear that you used the same hire company!

Appreciate the reassuring reply.
Sorry to make it clear although I use Avis and have the preferred card, I used Sixt on my last rental in Luton.