Ancient tombs discovered in area under development in Paphos, no report made

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Ancient tombs discovered in area under development in Paphos, no report made

Post by Paphos Life »

Police are investigating a case where ancient tombs were discovered in an area under development in Anavargos, Paphos, with no one reporting this to relevant authorities.Police also said the information came on Tuesday from an Archaeology Department officer who also pointed the finger at a person working for the development company....

Read the article and chat about it below...
LouiseCastricum

Re: Ancient tombs discovered in area under development in Paphos, no report made

Post by LouiseCastricum »

A nightmare for all developers.........
Louise :)
Kili01

Re: Ancient tombs discovered in area under development in Paphos, no report made

Post by Kili01 »

However they are supposed to report such finds to the Antiquities Dept of the Govt and not flout the law. Of course no developer wants to do this as the work on the site must cease until such finds have been fully investigated by an archaeological team from the Dept.
Unfortunately for developers, it is known that large numbers of tombs and ancient burials took place under and all around Ktima Paphos and surrounding areas...

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Same happens in London developments. There was a group that handled Archaeological finds on Construction sites so that they could be excavated ASAP.

Given the amount of neglected tombs that are already dotted around Paphos, I would think the main interest the Antiquities Dept would have is whether any decent booty had been uncovered.

And speaking of excavations, I was driving past Souskiou Cemetary a few weeks ago with a friend, and we couldn't help but notice that the Archaeologists had been back there. It was a bizarre sight, because they were using old fridges to cover up the tombs they were investigating.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Dominic,
How do you know that Archaeologists had been there at Souskiou? It would be most unlikely any excavation conducted with official permission, would use rubbish to cover a site!
More likely some one there illegally. Wonder if you checked with anyone official what you had seen?
And you are making untrue remarks about Archaeologists and a Govt Dept. Maybe you are doing this tongue in cheek! Of course they are interested in 'finds' but there are much more sophisticated ways to excavate ancient tombs and having been involved with several archaeological digs here in and around Paphos over the years, I probably know more about their careful and painstaking, excavation methods. And the way that all finds are cleaned, examined, catalogued and sent to a museum.
But flippant remarks may give some people the wrong idea.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I wasn't making flippant remarks. Why would anybody working illegally bother covering up the holes they had uncovered with old fridges? It would just make them more noticable. Why not take a visit up there and see for yourself, once you have climbed down off your high horse.
staffie

Post by staffie »

their been a dig going on behind the pearl park complex, aristo if I can mention that Name have had to stop their building work (extensions to pearl Park) for some time now, anyone know any info.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:44 pm Dominic,
How do you know that Archaeologists had been there at Souskiou? It would be most unlikely any excavation conducted with official permission, would use rubbish to cover a site!
More likely some one there illegally. Wonder if you checked with anyone official what you had seen?
And you are making untrue remarks about Archaeologists and a Govt Dept. Maybe you are doing this tongue in cheek! Of course they are interested in 'finds' but there are much more sophisticated ways to excavate ancient tombs and having been involved with several archaeological digs here in and around Paphos over the years, I probably know more about their careful and painstaking, excavation methods. And the way that all finds are cleaned, examined, catalogued and sent to a museum.
But flippant remarks may give some people the wrong idea.

Dee
Here you are. See for yourself. Do you honestly think that thieves would do this?
01.jpg
01.jpg (296.67 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (288.2 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (291.71 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
04.jpg
04.jpg (303.56 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Think I've been to that area myself, and with a very experienced amateur archaeologist, who had a degree in a related subject. There are a lot of tombs there, ones we saw were cut into the rock there and are very ancient indeed. There seems little reason to cover them. It almost looks like casual dumping of pallets.
Why do people do this instead of taking unwanted things to an official dump?

Dee
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:42 pm There seems little reason to cover them. It almost looks like casual dumping of pallets.

Dee
Perhaps it’s to stop people falling in them!?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:42 pm Think I've been to that area myself, and with a very experienced amateur archaeologist, who had a degree in a related subject. There are a lot of tombs there, ones we saw were cut into the rock there and are very ancient indeed. There seems little reason to cover them. It almost looks like casual dumping of pallets.

Dee
You have got to be kidding. Those pallets have clearly been placed over holes, as have the fridges and fridge doors. If you bothered to look at any of the pictures properly you would see that the lighter panels even have rocks placed on top of them to prevent them blowing away. If you ignore evidence such as this, because it doesn’t suit your own agenda, then you must have been a lousy archaeologist.

Besides, there is a rubbish dump area over the side of the nearby cliff, so any farmer wouldn’t need to drag pallets up on to those rocks before randomly chucking them directly over assorted holes…
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Since you saw them and photographed what you saw, its up to you should you want to take this further, its up to you to report this to the authority. Not me.
What I posted was what I saw on a previous visit to this area, looking at other features of interest to Archaeologists as well. There was no rubbish around then.

I went there as part of an Archaeology group. There are a lot of people interested in Archaeology in Paphos and other places around the island. I enjoy it as it is closely connected with history. Why don't you join a local Archaeological society, if you are interested?
Then you could make better informed posts.
As you don't even know me stop making derogatory remarks.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Why would I want to report anything? Archaeologists used old fridges to cover up holes. It is their archaeological site, they can do what they want. You were the only person objecting to it and saying I was being flippant. You blamed illegal activities if you recall. Clearly that isn't the case.

As to knowing you, no I don't. But I do know your online persona. And that is who I am addressing.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

This thread is becoming quite surreal! Before anyone gets offended I mean that in a light hearted way!
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:35 pm This thread is becoming quite surreal!
No it isn't 😏
David
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Is that by the EAC?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Sort of. It isn't the catacombs I blogged about a while ago though.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Uncle D wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:12 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:35 pm This thread is becoming quite surreal!
No it isn't 😏
:lol: alrighty then!
staffie

Post by staffie »

Tut tut, I like all the comments but please let's not show disgrace with all, still nothing about pearl Park dig, (holding aristo extensions building work, approx 6 months now,)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Staffie,
Where is Pearl Park?

Dee