First decibel meters to start work in Paphos center

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

First decibel meters to start work in Paphos center

Post by Paphos Life »

The first decibel meters, the specialized devices that the Paphos Municipality has recently purchased in order to combat noise in the city, will be implemented as of today in the town???s commercial center.Already the Paphos Mayor and the Chief of Police have made relevant announcements and presented the new devices....

Read the article and chat about it below...
trevnhil

Re: First decibel meters to start work in Paphos center

Post by trevnhil »

At first I thought this was in relation to Noisy Motor bikes or Quad bikes.

But it seems it is music from bars,,
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, we have one at least seemingly mindless individual who rides an unsilenced and probably old and low powered motorbike, who enjoys reving the engine repeatedly then roaring around residential streets in and Around Chloraka in the middle if the night.
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:33 am Yes kilio1 there is also a boy racer who enjoys over revving his engine until it miss fires and bangs and crackles, although he seems to be more the popadoms area , hard to say as the sound echoes around the whole area.
Curious, what is the popadoms area?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Popadums is an Indian Restaurant on the Coral Bay road, which is actually the opposite end of the village to where I live. Won't mean much to anyone who doesn't live in the Paphos/ Coral Bay area.

Dee
ast

Post by ast »

Curious, what is the popadoms area?
[/quote]

Did you think he was racing around on a Poppadom fuelled by Chicken Vindaloo :D
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

We stayed a few nights in Polis last month, same revving motorbikes till the early hours. On the last night we stayed we saw these 2 motorbikes and commented to the Cypriot bar owner, he said that they are a problem and the police will not do anything about it. It's like a lot of things people who flaunt the law get away with it.
David
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It usually seems to depends on who a person is and who they know...

Dee
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Uncle D wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:05 am We stayed a few nights in Polis last month, same revving motorbikes till the early hours. On the last night we stayed we saw these 2 motorbikes and commented to the Cypriot bar owner, he said that they are a problem and the police will not do anything about it. It's like a lot of things people who flaunt the law get away with it.
Can you please tell us what area of Polis that these noisy motor bikes were performing. We find the Polis is quite a large area. TIA.
All things are possible
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Apparently all over the place
David
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

It seem the police have been doing sound checks on some of the tribute shows currently doing the rounds in Paphos and stopping the acts till the sound levels are reduced.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

This must be welcome news for local residents living close to these noisy evening music venues who have to get up early to go to work or school...

Dee
josef k

Post by josef k »

For many years venues have been asking for decibel meters to be used by the police. Up to now it has been down to the individual policeman to decide if the music is too loud. Some venues have used their own meters but the police haven't accepted the readings because there was no recognised acceptable noise level.
The introduction of these meters will be welcomed by venue owners and police alike.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, these new decibel meters will be welcome all round. I have occasionally been to a tribute show, and one of the reasons why I didn't enjoy some of them was because of the excessive noise some groups and singers seem to believe improves their performance, through turning up the volume.
I felt as if it was an assault on my eardrums!

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:49 am Yes, these new decibel meters will be welcome all round. I have occasionally been to a tribute show, and one of the reasons why I didn't enjoy some of them was because of the excessive noise some groups and singers seem to believe improves their performance, through turning up the volume.
I felt as if it was an assault on my eardrums!

Dee
99% of tribute acts are an assault on peoples eardrums, without any need to increase the volume, :shock:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Will the fuzz even understand that increasing the noise level from, say, 100 dB to 103 dB will mean that the noise energy will have doubled? Decibels are on a logarithmic scale.