Facebook

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Dominic »

Anybody else having a problem getting on to Facebook this evening?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
memory man

Re: Facebook

Post by memory man »

Could it be connected to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15704
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Facebook / WhatsApp / instagram all reported to down
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Not sure. Other things are fine though.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Yes Facebook will not open for me at all other sites open easily straight away..
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Apparently there are issues with Instagram and WhatsApp too. Facebook posted about it on Twitter, rather amusingly.

(I meant it was amusing they had to use Twitter, not that their post was witty)
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Don't use Facebook, but having problems loading photos via WhatsApp
OnceAHippy

Post by OnceAHippy »

Unable to connect since an hour ago. :(
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

HIC will be along in a minute to remind you that he warned you about all the downsides to Brexit

They should leave it off and see if people can remember how to live without it - But then again we don't want to put a strain on the Emergency Services
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

There are many groups on Facebook including Paphos Chat run by Dominic. I run a facebook group and it is very similar to Paphos life that you are posting on tonight ..
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It disappeared at around 16:50hrs UK time for me as I was attempting to add an extra line to a post for a lady on our website hosting fb group.

Lots of rumours flying around about a link to the female whistleblower and that Zuckerberg has lost close to $7bn since it crashed, taking Instagram, What's App and Messenger with it.

Twitter has had a field day...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

https://blog.cloudflare.com Explains what happened. Although there is some posts asking if it was in anyway connected to Whistleblower going public the day before the servers went off line.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

FACEBOOK is back. Well it is for me at the mo. Hope that it is back for all of us. Stay safe and be kind to everyone.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

bmwx5 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:23 am https://blog.cloudflare.com Explains what happened. Although there is some posts asking if it was in anyway connected to Whistleblower going public the day before the servers went off line.
That whistleblower thing was all over twitter as well. Just shows how readily people will believe any old theory these days, without one shred of evidence.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The saddest thing is, how dependent people have become for facebook etc.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:32 am The saddest thing is, how dependent people have become for facebook etc.
You may be right, it is sad! Could this be why I have never succumbed to using any of these universal gossip chambers. At my daughter's request, I did use WhatsApp for a short while until I saw that it was trying to take over the dark recesses of my computers, since which time I have resolved "never again". It is, as you say, indeed, very sad that so many users can be hoodwinked into having them on their machines. Yes! The downside is that I'm unable to view many things or to run some apps but, IMHO, it is a small price to pay for what it is largely rubbish.

However, I confess to having one thing on my computer which is just as bad as Facebook and all the other similar rubbish: it is called Windows!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:32 am The saddest thing is, how dependent people have become for facebook etc.
It's not that different to a forum like this. Just the next step in internet evolution. You could apply the same logic to the motor car or microwave ovens though.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:49 am
It's not that different to a forum like this. Just the next step in internet evolution. You could apply the same logic to the motor car or microwave ovens though.
Dominic, I see where your coming from, but have people become so hooked on it, that there is real panic, when they cant go on it for a short space of time. my wife a very level headed and calm person, and even she was panicking that whatsapp was down, which she uses to keep in touch with the kids.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

People panic about whatsapp being down in the same way they would if the phone service was down. It's just a means of communication. Similarly, if that is what you used Facebook for, then panic would be understandable. But I don't think many people were panicing because they weren't able to get onto their favourite discussion groups for a bit though, or because they couldn't play scrabble.

One thing I did find annoying was not being able to access a site I used that used my Facebook login credentials. But that just meant I had to remember a password I hadn't used for ages.