Flying from Paphos to UK - airport shambles?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
glang3000

Re: Flying from Paphos to UK - airport shambles?

Post by glang3000 »

Just for info,

I departed Paphos airport on Thursday night easy jet to Manchester, the airport was great, no queue, quick check in, only 4 people on front in bag check, all very quick, also on our arrival at Manchester there were plenty of people checking our passports so we were through quicker than normal.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

More reports of long queues last night. Most people I have read are putting the blame on unprepared passengers. Print off your paperwork if you want a quick ride. I saw a report that one man took 20 minutes to find the correct stuff on his phone.

NB: the reports I saw were made by passengers.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:15 pm WHL you don't live in Paphos area, I think from what you post. Larnaca is a much larger airport and usually very well organised. Where as Paphos is mainly a holiday airport used by budget airlines and tourists / tour groups. It is much smaller.
At peak times in summer it tends to be packed, to the extent that the outdoor 'cattle pens'
On the edge of the aircraft parking area are used to hold people waiting to board their aircraft.when anything goes wrong the check in area, or in security can be very uncomfortable places for those waiting.
Hence some people may complain.
Your remarks about people being professional moaners, which you seem to wont to complain about might be better left unsaid.
Dee
Do me a favour, unless you have been living in a cave for the last two years, you would know that traveling from any airport on the planet now takes longer because of extra checks regarding covid paper work, so any person with half a brain would factor going to the airport earlier, as others have said how about people taking responsibilty for their own actions instead of trying to blame, airports, airlines, staff etc, we flew recently and saw for ourselfs, people holding others up at check in because they didn't have the right paperwork etc, going back to people saying Paphos has always been a busy airport, then more reason to get there earlier.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I flew to the UK in August, before I went to the airport I printed all the paper work I needed and put it in a folding clip board all in order.
I presented this with my passport at check in and told the lady all the paper work you need is there.
I was at the check in desk around 1 and a half to 2 minuets and done.
When I left the check in desk there where people still looking at there phones and they had arrived before me!
I did the same returning to Cyprus and again no problems at all in the UK!
Paul
KandK

Post by KandK »

We flew back from Paphos last Sunday afternoon, and didn’t experience any problems. Yes there were queues, but they moved reasonably quickly.

Like many others, we had all our documents printed out, which made it quicker than people searching for their Passenger Locator form on a small phone screen. However, it’s difficult for people in hotels and rental villas to have access to a printer.

Our friend who travelled on Saturday evening said the airport was chaotic, so it must just be the number of flights leaving at any particular time. Saturday to Saturday is probably a popular holiday trip schedule.

EasyJet’s change of cabin bag policy means we now have to go to check-in rather than straight through security. This makes the queues at check-in much longer.

None of this will stop us travelling, and we accept that things change, not always for the better.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

For the numerous people who have referred to the tactic of "getting to the airport early" and being prepared in advance....

I refer you to the original post on page one of this thread.

It was reported that the person who complained about the shambles was a holidaymaker on a package holiday, which included a coach transfer between the hotel and Paphos airport.

It was what resulted after they arrived where the chaos took over.

If travelling independently, then yes - there's always an option to use common sense and leave earlier.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:51 am For the numerous people who have referred to the tactic of "getting to the airport early" and being prepared in advance....

I refer you to the original post on page one of this thread.

It was reported that the person who complained about the shambles was a holidaymaker on a package holiday, which included a coach transfer between the hotel and Paphos airport.

It was what resulted after they arrived where the chaos took over.

If travelling independently, then yes - there's always an option to use common sense and leave earlier.
If a holiday company bus me to the airport, it is hardly the airports fault if that holiday company didnt allow extra time for checking in etc
J B

Post by J B »

WHL wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:54 pm If a holiday company bus me to the airport, it is hardly the airports fault if that holiday company didnt allow extra time for checking in etc
But surely it is the airport's fault if, knowing how many flights there were going to be, that they are not adequately staffed to cope?

In our experience, there were two delays ... one to Easyjet check in/bag drop (which indeed you can blame folks for not having printed paperwork), then, having checked our bags in, we had to queue the full length of the departure lounge to get through the baggage check/passport area which requires little paperwork and was just held up by the airport's inability to cope with the volume of people..
J B
WHL

Post by WHL »

J B wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:35 pm
WHL wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:54 pm If a holiday company bus me to the airport, it is hardly the airports fault if that holiday company didnt allow extra time for checking in etc
But surely it is the airport's fault if, knowing how many flights there were going to be, that they are not adequately staffed to cope?

In our experience, there were two delays ... one to Easyjet check in/bag drop (which indeed you can blame folks for not having printed paperwork), then, having checked our bags in, we had to queue the full length of the departure lounge to get through the baggage check/passport area which requires little paperwork and was just held up by the airport's inability to cope with the volume of people..
The holiday companys should take it up with the airports, but at the end of the day the holiday companys knowing the problem at the airport should take the passengers earlier
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Oh, I get it now....
Best laid plans and all that....
But, these things do happen. So nice when it doesn't happen to you though, eh?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-58946223
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You could probably spend an entertaining few days posting links to stories about problems at airports around the globe. But why bother?

Shit happens. Be prepared and bring a book.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I flew from Paphos - Bournemouth in July. I posted my experience at check in then. I agree that it is sensible to print out all the documents which are needed to travel due to the pandemic. Which is what I did. So much easier and quicker for the check in. I did the same for my return journey, this time from Bristol-Paphos. One change in EJ's handling is that if you want to put your cabin bag luggage in the hold, you must book on line for £7. Previously pre pandemic one booked this after check in, at the airport for a similar sum, now I was told trying to check in my cabin bag would cost £24! Needless to say, I lugged it around the airport instead.
Dee
J B

Post by J B »

Dominic wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:24 am Shit happens. ..............
But only on a Saturday, it seems!! :lol:
J B