Flying from Paphos to UK - airport shambles?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Re: Flying from Paphos to UK - airport shambles?

Post by Jim B »

In the big picture a couple of hours isn't too bad in most busy airports. I've never found Paphos that bad but I suppose different people have different tolerance levels.
J B

Post by J B »

Jim B wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:33 am In the big picture a couple of hours isn't too bad in most busy airports. I've never found Paphos that bad but I suppose different people have different tolerance levels.
Well, we've been coming for 25 years on holiday and Saturday night was the worst it's ever been since they moved to the new building in our experience.
J B
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Jim B wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:33 am In the big picture a couple of hours isn't too bad in most busy airports. I've never found Paphos that bad but I suppose different people have different tolerance levels.
Except when you don't get on your flight home through no fault of your own, as happened with the 2 ladies travelling back with easyJet.

Not too bad at all, eh 🤔
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:29 am
Except when you don't get on your flight home through no fault of your own, as happened with the 2 ladies travelling back with easyJet.

Not too bad at all, eh 🤔
If it was just two people that missed there flights, reading the Hell on Earth Paphos airport was described by some, then that's not bad going .
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Not too bad at all, eh 🤔
I was actually referring to JBs post and his hour and three quarter transit. Just saying many airports are much worse than that. In fact wasn't Heathrow recently in the news for record transit times going through passport control.
I'm very sorry the two ladies missed their flight but these things happen, sometimes there's two sides to every story.
dodo

Post by dodo »

The problem seems to be on a Saturday from what I've been reading, also reported in Cyprus mail other wk on flights arrivals queueing to get into the building.
21 flights arrived in Paphos from UK alone on Saturday many arriving roughly same time so if 21 arrived previous Sat maybe 21 flights left on Saturday too
WHL

Post by WHL »

Anyone flying into the US will understand how long it took to pass immigration control, they took fingerprints etc etc over an hour most times, sometimes nearly two hours, and that was before this covid era, none of us like it, but we all know what the score is in these difficult times, allow yourselves more time, is the simplest answer.
J B

Post by J B »

WHL wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:41 pm ................ none of us like it, but we all know what the score is in these difficult times, allow yourselves more time, is the simplest answer.
Well, my take on it is that *if* there were more staff, then the transit time could have been made more pleasant.
Surely (?) the airport would know how many passengers they were expecting and ought to provide sufficient staffing to cope.
(we did allow ourselves plenty of time, luckily)
J B
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Two of my friends had a nightmare experience yesterday evening at Larnaca Airport. There's was a 21.15 departure and the queues were massive. They did make it albeit without any relaxation time.

As for the Staff. They would be Cypriots, not Greeks.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

J B wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:40 pm
WHL wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:41 pm ................ none of us like it, but we all know what the score is in these difficult times, allow yourselves more time, is the simplest answer.
Well, my take on it is that *if* there were more staff, then the transit time could have been made more pleasant.
Surely (?) the airport would know how many passengers they were expecting and ought to provide sufficient staffing to cope.
(we did allow ourselves plenty of time, luckily)
How are they supposed to find more staff, dont forget these people have an increased work load with all the extra covid related paper work they have to check out..... its up to us to make sure we get there in plenty of time
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Not too bad at all, eh 🤔
Any idea if these were the 2 ladies for the Bristol flight? Myself and the person I was travelling with were sat with at the nearest seats to easyJet’s gate 3 when they arrived in some distress - just before 21:00 I think, for the flight that was from memory scheduled for 20:35. I got to gate 3 at 20:05 after arriving at the airport entrance at 19:15 and they were already doing the final calls for the next Easyjet flight for Luton by then.

Given the usual recommendation to get there two hours before departure, say 18:30, we couldn’t work out why they got to gate 3 nearly an hour after us so should have been thorough check in, security etc well before either of us waiting for a later flight.

Something must have gone horribly wrong for them somewhere along the line.

Ian
El tel

Post by El tel »

Travelled with easyJet back to Bristol yesterday , a 2pm flight so no delays as not many flights . The only problem was checking in , I happened to be the first to check in and was asked why I had no paperwork for the pre departure test . I explained that the rules had changed from 4am that day and no pre departure was required , not one of the four check in staff were aware of the changes and only when a supervisor was called was it explained to them . The joys of modern management .

Terry
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

WHL you don't live in Paphos area, I think from what you post. Larnaca is a much larger airport and usually very well organised. Where as Paphos is mainly a holiday airport used by budget airlines and tourists / tour groups. It is much smaller.
At peak times in summer it tends to be packed, to the extent that the outdoor 'cattle pens'
On the edge of the aircraft parking area are used to hold people waiting to board their aircraft.when anything goes wrong the check in area, or in security can be very uncomfortable places for those waiting.
Hence some people may complain.
Your remarks about people being professional moaners, which you seem to wont to complain about might be better left unsaid.
Dee
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Paphos airport has a history of being shambolic going back to the 80s
It’s certainly not helped by TUI flights from U.K. Airports arriving/departing within an hour of each other on Wednesday Saturday and Sunday this is historical
During this pandemic I’m sure as with every business staffing levels have been cut and Hermes have caught a serious cold as more Brits are booking holidays especially now the restrictions have been eased and Autumn upon
It’s appears the same fiasco as when TUI has their cruises with endless queues
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I once flew with a group of ex soldiers who worked for a security firm in Dubai. They were having a big shindig out there and we were invited along. It was a lovely trip, but two things surprised me about the flights:

1. We had to arrive at the airport 4 hours early. This was to avoid any hiccups.
2. The airport was non-smoking. There was a clear-glass portacabin at one point where smoking was permitted inside. When we walked past it, it was literally packed full of ex Squaddies all puffing away on fags.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

The glass smoking cubicles exist also at Paris CDG.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

I think it is only sensible to build in "what if" time to any travel plan.
For example, if I'm flying from Edinburgh which is approximately an hour and fifteen minutes away, I leave an additional thirty to forty minutes early, because "what if" there's an accident or break down on the motorway etc.
If you take the timings literally there's always the chance that something will occur to scupper your plans.

If nothing happens then great, you arrive in good time and can have that cuppa and sandwich, if something does happen then you have the extra time to deal with it.
J B

Post by J B »

J B wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:44 pm Whether they will reply, who knows .... Cypriot shrug emoji
Well - they did reply :lol:

Dear Mr. B,

Following our correspondence regarding the departure procedures upon your departure from Pafos International Airport on October 2, 2021, we would like to inform you that Check -In formalities of the flights are managed by the airlines and their locally appointed Ground Handling Companies, which in the case of EasyJet is LGS Handling Ltd.

Also we would like to share with you that the operation of the security equipment is scheduled based on the expected daily passenger traffic per hour and includes also additional capacity to cover for possible delays. It’s not possible to operate all security equipment at all times which results to unnecessary delays which unfortunately keep our customers from entering the departure area quicker and spending time there.

Regarding the delays witnessed during Passport control, please note that the manpower at border control areas is also based on the expected daily passenger traffic per hour and as per the Concession Agreement we have signed with the Cyprus Government, Passport control lie under the responsibility of the Cyprus Police. In our effort to provide a seamless passenger journey to our customers, we are in constant liaison with the Government entities to ensure adequate manpower, however some times this is not possible.

In closing we would like to thank you for helping us become better and we assure you that a copy of this conversation will be duly forwarded to the Cyprus Police and LGS Handling Ltd, for their awareness and action as required.

Yours sincerely,
J B
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well done, JB. It's good that you informed the relevant people of the chaos. Maybe if Easy Jet make sure that they have enough ground handling staff at the check in counters to cope with the number of flights and their anticipated passenger load, that might help to prevent these huge queues forming at check in. Ditto where Paphos police are concerned should have sufficient staff on duty to handle passengers going through security at the airport... If there are insufficient staff on duty its easy to see how long queues of passengers must be the result.

The airport staff must know which are the busiest days of the week there.

Dee
J B

Post by J B »

Dominic wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:15 pm Some people just like to moan. They don't call us whinging poms for nothing.
More "whinging" here

:roll:
J B