Paphos municipality signs deal to further upgrade old town

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Paphos municipality signs deal to further upgrade old town

Post by Paphos Life »

Paphos mayor, Phedonas Phedonos, signed a new contract aimed at the further improvement and aesthetic upgrade of the old town market area on Thursday, a municipality spokesperson told the Cyprus Mail....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: Paphos municipality signs deal to further upgrade old town

Post by Kili01 »

Well... I noticed that as yet no one has replied to this new information.
I know that there are people who post on here who seem to love and approve whatever our esteemed Mayor sees fit to do to improve and update Paphos. But, while some of his plan are good, such as upgrading and improving the road network. His attentions to the old town could have been much more sympathetic to the buildings that were there already.
Ibrahans Khan is an example. Like the much larger one in Nicosia (in North Nicosia) they were used to service the camel trains that were then the fastest method of transporting goods islandwide, before tarmaced roads and lorries.. In Nicosia, this was restored, keeping the old stone rooms, arches the height of the camels around the cobbled courtyard.
In Paphos, much has been removed and new huge plate glass windows are everywhere. The old arches the height of a camel, were modernized. Yes, there are craft shops there, but it doesn't even have a notice giving the history and former use ... so tourists and many residents, probably don't know.. In the Nicosiaa Khan there is full use of the stables area for a variety of traders and many shops making/ selling all types of merchandise. But it all looks more authentic, the original features are largely preserved and the rooms repurposed. .. Paphos Khan looks modern and clinical now, many tall archways removed, large glass shop windows installed.
Paphos Market is similarly old and was characterful. It looked like a market, tourists and locals used it alike. Prices were reasonable and the narrow alleys were busy. But this Mayor doesn't seem to know what 'sympathetic modernisation looks' like. His latest upgrade there looks ready to distroy what was there before and replace it with more identikit large glass windows which make it very hot in summer and to erect a basic metal type structure as roofing .
Somewhat ironically, Cyprus Tourist Authority, (or what's it now called?) have recently decided that its time to exploit the cultural, historical and archaeological wealth of the island. Especially in the off season months, they want to attract older tourists with these interests to come here for winter breaks at hotels. Which seems an excellent idea.
Maybe Paphos would fit the bill better if some of its original look was there. The little street in the old town which once had carpenters and chair makers for example and more old buildings could be repaired and repainted..
Dee
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

Dee,
That is a very fair and accurate picture you have given of the current and pending 'upgrading' of the Old Town and adds to my thoughts when I made an earlier post with regards to the commercial devastation of the area.
I feel that the place is quickly going beyond the point of returning to a quirky, old fashioned trading area to a modern concrete maze that is attractive to nobody which will decay quickly into derelict shopping precinct
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Chatsworth,
Your thoughts are pretty much like mine, and you are right it looks as if this series of Old Town 'Upgrading' seems to have knocked the stuffing out of 'Ktima' the Old Town. There is very little left now of the old commercial centre, and trying to turn it into a modern shopping area hasn't happened as the area fails to attract shoppers in any numbers. It just can't compete with what is offered under one roof in the Paphos Mall, where shopping is much easier and car parking for hours is free! All the area seems to attract now is an evening clientele who meet in the coffee bars.
The best hope for Ktima is to make it look attractively Greek or Cypriot,white or pastel coloured buildings or restored and repointing old stone walls of buildings. Freshly painted windows and external woodwork, including shutters .Many tourists have an interest in visiting attractive old towns and villages. Here Polis seems to have succeeded by restoring its streets and buildings in the centre of town which adds to its appeal. Also many villages or towns in the Laona and Troodos areas.
But sadly, Paphos appears to has gone the other way..
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

All very well, wanting little stone workshops where old fashioned chairs could be build and repaired in little quaint alley ways, but here's the thing, there are no little old Cypriot craftsmen doing this work anymore, and as for Camel barns, do not worry about camels banging their heads on lowered metal structures, because their isn't any camels trains in Paphos or any other part of Cyprus anymore . Mayors have a hard job to do, they have to balance the need for a modern working town, providing employment to people whilst trying to keep some of the character of the place, the easiest thing in the world is for people who get a guaranteed pension every week to sit back and critic that the old world charm of a place is being destroyed, balance that up with family's that need housing/employment/travel needs etc etc etc.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I guess your dig was aimed at me as I am one of those who approve of how well the mayor is doing. Thankfully he is a massive improvement on the previous mayor, and is doing his best to improve Paphos and make it a better place to live for residents. Some people like nothing more than to constantly whinge and criticise.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

chatsworth wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:39 pm Dee,
That is a very fair and accurate picture you have given of the current and pending 'upgrading' of the Old Town and adds to my thoughts when I made an earlier post with regards to the commercial devastation of the area.
I feel that the place is quickly going beyond the point of returning to a quirky, old fashioned trading area to a modern concrete maze that is attractive to nobody which will decay quickly into derelict shopping precinct
I believe you have a business selling items don't you? So why not rent shop in the old town and help bring people there?
Pinleyb93

Post by Pinleyb93 »

While the Mayor has some good ideas for the upgrade of Paphos it would be nice to see some of them finished before others are started. And if as he says he want to attract more visitors getting rid of some of the graffiti would be a good start, seems that now the football season as started the morons are out of their lairs spraying again.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We visited Buyuk Han every chance we got when we crossed into the occupied north via Ledra Street.

This is a set of photos which show it off:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjwXWTCx
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

Jimgym,
In keeping with many other businesses, I have absolutely no desire to lose a load of dosh in what used to be the Old Town.
As for WHL, it only takes a wander around the place to see that it is really struggling and is definately not providing incomes or being economically viable as a trading area.
I am not saying it is anyone's fault, just telling it as I see it.
Perhaps they could take a look how other areas/countries have dealt with similar problems. I don't believe it is down to online shopping because Cyprus has not really adopted that yet and the Mall is beyond the pocket of many.
It will be interesting to see the impact the new Mall has on shopper's habits in Larnaca, where a blend of old and new seems to have been achieved until now.
WHL

Post by WHL »

chatsworth wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:21 pm Jimgym,
In keeping with many other businesses, I have absolutely no desire to lose a load of dosh in what used to be the Old Town.
As for WHL, it only takes a wander around the place to see that it is really struggling and is definately not providing incomes or being economically viable as a trading area.
I am not saying it is anyone's fault, just telling it as I see it.
Perhaps they could take a look how other areas/countries have dealt with similar problems. I don't believe it is down to online shopping because Cyprus has not really adopted that yet and the Mall is beyond the pocket of many.
It will be interesting to see the impact the new Mall has on shopper's habits in Larnaca, where a blend of old and new seems to have been achieved until now.
This isnt purely a Cyprus problem, take a look back in the UK, since shopping malls started popping up, the high streets have been devastated, a lot of the shops now are charity stores etc, add that to lack of parking etc, then you understand why shopping malls are popular, over in Larnacas old quarter the old workshops have been retained, but there are only a few being used for traditional crafts, the vast majority are now bars and trendy restaurants who are doing a good trade providing many jobs, helped by the fact that many people from Nicosia visit, there is a balance to be found and for Larnaca that balance has been achieved.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Photo Lady,
Yes the Bayuk Han or (Great Khan, which I referred to in my previous post), is a very interesting place to visit and I have sometimes bought interesting and unusual locally made items there. Also once watched a Shadow Puppet show, something which used to be performed in Cyprus villages by a traveling puppeteer- this was a great entertainment for them long before TV. Interestingly, it was also appealing for adults too! I also like the fact that the Han has managed to keep its character by blending an old and restored building to a modern use.
Unfortunately, some of our die hards on here who may or may not have visited the 'North' immediately leap to defend what goes on in Paphos where unfortunately, 'sympathetic restoration' is a rarity.

WHL, Yes, I agree that Larnaca has done a better job at blending both the old and the new parts.
I like it's coastal path area in town which has very attractive looks like wrought iron street lamps, instead of the very tall concrete type search lights which were chosen to light part of the old town near the new square, coffee bars and the main road through it.

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

WHL,
Having just been to the UK, its not the presence of shopping malls - as many towns there have both. In Cheltenham where I was, both are used. But the growth in the On line companies which have sprung up, and flourished during the pandemic are taking their toll on the retail shops. Paying little in rates, or taxes they can undercut shop prices.
Some people use the retail shops as showrooms to view and compare like for like in whatever they are intending to buy.
Then they order on line at home to pay a lot less.This doesn't help struggling retailers who must still pay high rates and taxes on their premises. This is a major factor which leads to empty shops on High Streets.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

As somebody who has walked up and down the streets of Old Paphos many times over the last few years, I can assure people that behind the shutters there are lots of the old businesses that are still beavering away.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Whenever I wander round the old town of an evening, I always find it heaving with people. OK, they aren't buying hand-made chairs, but they are there in the cafes. coffee shops, restaurants etc in their hundreds. With more businesses opening every month. Far more people frequent the old town, I suggest, than used to visit during the day prior to the mall.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I’m not a diehard but then neither am I a whingeing Brit! Some people are just never happy. I defend the mayor because he’s doing a great job. My glass is always half full.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

He is, and the people who moan tend to moan about everything.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

If that's remark is aimed at me, I can only say that people who have a different opinion aren't moaning. Obviously some of you aren't keen on trying to preserve some character in a place.. we can agree to differ.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It wasn't aimed specifically at you. Just at everybody stuck in the past.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Dominic, I'm nor stuck in the past regarding good architecture. But Paphos isn't only for Cypriots and foreign residents. It also needs to attract the tourist on which the local economy depends. If Cyprus starts promoting its cultural and archaeological past and history, that will bring some older people who will also want to stay in the hotels near local towns.
So making the most of Paphos in order to make it as attractive to visit and shop in as possible
makes sense. Not spoiling older buildings, but sympathetically restoring them.

Dee