Quotes without VAT

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
jeba

Quotes without VAT

Post by jeba »

Is it legal in Cyprus to give retail customers quotes which don´t include VAT? Isn´t there an EU regulation banning that practice?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Quotes without VAT

Post by Devil »

Some very small enterprises may not have a turnover sufficient to be registered for VAT. Apart from that, where a quotation is substantial, VAT is indicated as a separate item. I think this may be to emphasise that the total cost is higher. (It also allows for some illicit deduction of the VAT, which is not unknown in Cyprus!).
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Yes retail prices in the EU must show a total including any VAT though the VAT may be shown separately or just a final price.

However trade businesses can quote before VAT so for instance if you go to the Home market it will show the total price with VAT but if you go to a builders merchant it may quote the price before VAT.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You could always just ask if it includes VAT.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:23 pm You could always just ask if it includes VAT.
Based on my assumption that prices given in a brochure (for drawing construction plans, land surveyor etc.) have to include VAT it hadn't occurred to me that VAT might not be included and I spent several hours with them planning/discussing my new home (taking the prices they gave me into consideration) only to find out upon receipt of their invoice that their prices didn't include VAT. Which for a newbuilt is a substantial difference.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Caveat emptor! If you get an estimate for a job that involves physical work, and VAT is not expressly included in it, then you automatically assume that it has to be paid on top. I recently had substantial work done on my house and the quotation came with "€n + VAT" on it, nothing more, nothing less.