Cyprus lagging in reuse of recycled materials

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Cyprus lagging in reuse of recycled materials

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:32 pm No I didn't miss it. But quite frankly I don't want to continue this conversation because you are such a cantankerous old goat that it brings me no pleasure whatsoever.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Bloody hell! Isn't the devil supposed to be cantankerous? At least I am portrayed as an old goat from time to time. :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
jeba

Post by jeba »

Devil wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:48 pm I'm sorry but your "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" attitude doesn't go down too well here or in a number of other countries. Please be careful when comparing what goes on in Germany when outside. To get back to the subject, imagine a family picnic on the beach well away from any building. Nowadays, many Cypriots would pick up their empty bottles and take them back with them but there will always be some who will just leave them there, deposit or not. When a 1.5 L bottle of water costs only 20 or 30 cents, do you think that it would be acceptable to put a deposit of 50 cents on it?
Ok, so let's take a "Denmark, Denmark über alles" attitude (and I bet it's similar in other countries, but I'm too lazy to research it):
Nearly 3000 stores throughout Denmark have reverse vending machines, where you can return all deposit-marked bottles and cans. Reverse vending machines accept bottles and cans and scan the deposit mark, barcode and shape. The machine then calculates how much money to refund to you
And yes, if it takes 50 cents deposit to change behavior, so be it.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

mouse wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:13 pm Agreed jeba , it's only a deposit, it's returnable , make it a euro if that's what it takes to shift the lazy people
Do you think that the consumer associations would not scream if a pack of 6×1.5 L went up from, say, €1.80 all the way to €7.80?
jeba

Post by jeba »

Devil wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:51 am
mouse wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:13 pm Agreed jeba , it's only a deposit, it's returnable , make it a euro if that's what it takes to shift the lazy people
Do you think that the consumer associations would not scream if a pack of 6×1.5 L went up from, say, €1.80 all the way to €7.80?
I don't know. You shouldn't forget to mention though that you'd get €6 of those €7.8 refunded. Let them scream if they wish to. On the other hand the Greens will cheer. Are there even consumer associations in Cyprus?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

jeba wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:42 am Are there even consumer associations in Cyprus?
Yes, there are – perhaps too many of them! Maybe, instead of a snide question, you had taken the time to do a quick Internet check, you would have found http://www.easterncyprus.com/archive/cy ... on-260.htm
jeba

Post by jeba »

Devil wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:24 am
jeba wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:42 am Are there even consumer associations in Cyprus?
Yes, there are – perhaps too many of them! Maybe, instead of a snide question, you had taken the time to do a quick Internet check, you would have found http://www.easterncyprus.com/archive/cy ... on-260.htm
It wasn´t a snide question. I was thinking of contacting one on the issue of quotes without VAT. Nothing to do with this thread though.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

mouse wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:33 am Does Lordos make use of recyclable plastic ?
There are two questions here:
are Lordos products recyclable? Each item should have the triangular logo with a number in it. The number indicates the composition, thus recyclability, of the product. It does not indicate where or how you can recycle it.
Are Lordos products made from recycled plastic? Only Lordos can answer you that question!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The recyclability of plastics does not depend alone on the plastic itself but also on any additives that may be used to modify it. You also have to remember that many "plastic" items are made from copolymers (almost like alloying metals, in a way) but not all copolymers (any copolymers?) Can be separated back into their components. Even added pigments may alter the characteristics of a polymer. It is not just a question of alloying but also chemical manipulation.

As to whether Lordos should or can recycle their plastics is not within what any of us on this forum can dictate. If anyone wants further information, I have two textbooks on polymer chemistry, which I should be happy to lend out. It is easy to transform plastic into a can of worms.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:26 am Out of interest I checked a sample of the Lordos 4l bottle we have coming in and verily it did have the triangular Recycle symbol on it.

So we can all sleep easy at night ;)
And what no.? and letters if there?