Changes to GESY presciptions

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PhotoLady

Re: Changes to GESY presciptions

Post by PhotoLady »

Varky, we didn't have to go to Limassol. We didn't live in Paphos. But the system then was if the pharmacy with the visiting fortnightly doctor didn't have the meds available, it could only be provided by the hospital pharmacy. It was literally just a few minutes along the road from us and no further than the village we got my repeats from.
I had numerous visits to see doctors ar the main hospital, as well as consultant appointments, treatment and medications prescribed without any issues.
If we had to go to the hospital for the GP appointment, we never went before 10am as all the queues from those who had turned up at the crack of dawn had disappeared and we rarely waited more than 20 minutes to be told which doctor we were seeing.
I had scans, gastroscopy and blood tests for several months and ended up as an inpatient one Sunday afternoon with a suspected DVT. That led to several ultrasound appointments for a few weeks too.

The new system, from what I've seen on here and groups, it seems to be working pretty well. But it's odd if a GP or Pharmacist suddenly comes out with a statement which appears to change the goalposts and should definitely be followed up with questions asked.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Varky

Post by Varky »

PhotoLady,
Have you experienced the new GESY arrangements at all.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

PhotoLady lives in the UK
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:00 pm PhotoLady lives in the UK
I know. She has done for quite a while. Why do you think I am asking if she has any experience of the new GESY arrangements...duh!
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Varky wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:42 pm PhotoLady,
Have you experienced the new GESY arrangements at all.
I believe I quite clearly stated I left in 2016.
It was your mention of the Good Old Days which prompted my response, but I'm sure you already know this.
The Good Old Days old system worked very well for both me and my husband and all of my work colleagues.

Is there a problem with the Gesy system or not?
JimX

Post by JimX »

No much better in many ways and not just cost's, I am this week to have my second Cataract and inner lens replaced, this is after my first eye six weeks ago, in the NHS UK then you will have to wait several years I have been told, if you can pay the fee privately then one eye will cost you a couple of grand, I paid for my first procedure €6's and the same again next week, I was one who doubted GESY when it was rolled out, not any more...
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Varky wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:59 pm
I know. She has done for quite a while. Why do you think I am asking if she has any experience of the new GESY arrangements...duh!
You just can't resist a little 'dig' can you.. :-(
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:16 am
Varky wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:59 pm
You just can't resist a little 'dig' can you.. :-(
I just thought that you might have foreseen that I was trying to elicit whether the lady had experience of the the old and the new systems. It seems not.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I think it wouldn't be stretching it to say GESY,
has been one of the most successful things to be done since Cyprus independence.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

JimX wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:41 am No much better in many ways and not just cost's, I am this week to have my second Cataract and inner lens replaced, this is after my first eye six weeks ago, in the NHS UK then you will have to wait several years I have been told, if you can pay the fee privately then one eye will cost you a couple of grand, I paid for my first procedure €6's and the same again next week, I was one who doubted GESY when it was rolled out, not any more...
And pretty much what I have heard about the new system (your point ii) and said so earlier in my comments.

As for the cateract and lens replacement, we have a group of about 12 people here who we knock about with on a regular basis, all between the ages of 70 to early 80s.

Half of them have had cateract surgery and two ladies are in the process, one has just finished but still undergoing check ups, the other has had one eye done but Covid has put the second one back - both on the NHS, as were all the other members.
The process is usually 6 weeks between both eyes being done. It's been like that for many years.
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Depends where you live, PhotoLady. Not the same at all throughout the UK. Some areas will only do one eye - although Bilateral Surgery is much preferred!

P.S. CATARACT. R x
Ruth x

Qui Me Amat, Amet et canem meum
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Minerva wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:08 pm Depends where you live, PhotoLady. Not the same at all throughout the UK. Some areas will only do one eye - although Bilateral Surgery is much preferred!

P.S. CATARACT. R x
We're in the north west, Lancashire area but not all the surgery has taken place in our local district as two households haven't been here as long as others on a permanent basis so their operations took place under their original local hospitals. One around 40 miles away and the other around 60 miles distance.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:16 am This is a Paphos, Cyprus, forum. Don't see the relevance, therefore, of discussing the differing regional nhs experiences in the UK
UK comparison was brought up in the thread just a few posts above by Jim Cross (X), a resident of Cyprus 😏
JimX

Post by JimX »

'UK comparison was brought up in the thread just a few posts above by Jim(X), a resident of Cyprus 😏

Photolady please do not post members full names, that is something you should seek permissionn to do!!! I do not retract what I posted about the NHS and Cataract procedures, I have several friends in the UK waiting for this treatment and have waited several years due mainly to Covid..

I am due to have my final procedure on Thursday, a wait of six weeks. the cost of €6's thanks to GESY..
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Good Luck Jim, although it should not be down to luck of course .
Trev..