Paphos City Roadworks

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Paphos City Roadworks

Post by Dominic »

Paphos City is undergoing a bit of TLC. The road network is getting improved, and rumour has it that a couple of new roundabouts will appear too. In this drive we head down the B7 from Cycleband to Lidl, where the roadworks start. We then drive through them to the main Paps, then on to Kennedy Square and The Mall.

At the moment, they appear to be concentrating on resurfacing the road. Surprisingly, there isn't that much disruption, and the diversions seem to be working smoothly.

For a map of the route, see here:

https://www.paphoslife.com/film/paphos-city-roadworks
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ast

Re: Paphos City Roadworks

Post by ast »

Yes what came to mind was how long will this be dug up, going on previous works probably a long time.

Enjoyed the video though, thanks. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Not much traffic disruption the times I drove through there, not as feared and predicted before....and a 9 million project will take time for sure as it involves also 2 roundabouts, traffic lights, 300 parking spots,etc etc. Not easy for the contractor to get all this different works going smoothly.

Max
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I have to say I think the Mayor is doing a brilliant job of smartening up Paphos. What a shame we had to endure the previous mayor for so long.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:56 am I have to say I think the Mayor is doing a brilliant job of smartening up Paphos. What a shame we had to endure the previous mayor for so long.
I totally agree 👍🏼
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

We took a saunter around the Old Town yesterday. The commercial areas have been completely devastated by, I assume, the effects of the building works, Covid and high rents. Shops that were trading a couple of weeks ago have closed now so it appears to be on-going. Looking at the vast number of empty premises makes me wonder if the area will ever return to a vibrant, busy commercial area again.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Shops and retail outlets have been dwindling for years due to online shopping, etc so nothing new there.

If you go down there in the evenings, especially at the weekends you will see its very busy with nice little bars, tavernas, restaurants, cafes etc all flourishing and the atmosphere is really nice too!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I don't think anyone can blame the mayor for greedy landlords. People don't go to the old town because there is little to draw them there in the daytime. The mall has taken the shoppers and browsers.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Paphos old town has really changed from what it was before the prolonged roadworks and new drainage system was installed. That all went on for far too long, and as Chatsworth said.
Yes, some of the old town has developed a cafe and bar culture, but many of the remaining shops and businesses are struggling. Competition from the Mall, plus perhaps the distance from the car parks to the old town are probably two reasons. Plus high rents.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They are in the process of improving all the parking in Old Town.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:56 am I have to say I think the Mayor is doing a brilliant job of smartening up Paphos. What a shame we had to endure the previous mayor for so long.
I agree, hopefully he will be reelected in December...but you never know!

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I thought this year's elections had been cancelled ??
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:48 am I thought this year's elections had been cancelled ??

I don't think so. Article in Cyprus Digest from 22.8. gives more details. For Paphos this is relevant:
https://cyprus-digest.com/the-script-fo ... rst-names/

The Municipality of Paphos tends to become a big headache for DISY, with the two choices of the current mayor Faidonas Faidonos and the former MP of the party Costas Konstantinos to divide the alarm voters and cause embarrassment to the leadership of the Democratic Alarm.

Although Phaedo Phaedo keeps his papers tightly closed, his candidacy is considered a given by many. On the other hand, the candidacy of Costas Konstantinos depends on the attitude of DIKO, and according to information from “P”, he will not run as a candidate if he does not have the support of the specific party."

Max
Last edited by cyprusmax47 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The House plenum on Thursday voted for the postponement of local
authority elections as part of the sector’s reform.

The elections were to take place in December.

Postponement of the elections means that existing municipal and
community councils will continue serving their terms until the
implementation of the local government reform. The schedule set
before the European Commission for the implementation of the local
self-government reform is May 2024.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/09/16/muni ... postponed/
Trev..