Speeding Ticket

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Oakland

Speeding Ticket

Post by Oakland »

Hi Guys

Yesterday a friend of ours got a speeding ticket on the B7 road , ok he was over the limit .

However I seem to remember ( or a vivid dream ) , that the officer had to be in clear view .

In this instance he was hiding behind a tree and poked the camera through the branches ???

Is that legal and if not how would he proceed

Thanks.
Les
Jimgym

Re: Speeding Ticket

Post by Jimgym »

My opinion for what it's worth. He was speeding, got caught. Tell him to pay the fine and move on rather than trying to fight what will be a losing battle.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Hiding with the camera is just something they do here. They used the hide in the bushes on the central reservation near the Blue Cross Hospital .. Interestingly they never seem to have their Hi-Viz vests or Jackets on, they are usually in black
Trev..
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

As Cyprus has load’s of Tree’s along the middle and sides of most road’s – If you don’t speed near tree’s you should be able to avoid another ticket and should also be within the Law in most places that you travel, and as Jimgym say’s pay the ticket and move on – If your Knowingly over the speed limit your guilty even if the officer was dressed up as a little old lady.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cant do the time dont do the crime, how many times to we get people moaning about the cops not doing their job... if he was speeding then pay up, if he wasn't then contest it.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Even if the officer is in clear view, by the time the speeding driver sees him, registers "there's a speed trap" and reacts, it's likely the speed will have been registered and a ticket issued anyway.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 pm Hiding with the camera is just something they do here. They used the hide in the bushes on the central reservation near the Blue Cross Hospital .. Interestingly they never seem to have their Hi-Viz vests or Jackets on, they are usually in black
They were there last week Trev.
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

There is no legal requirement for officers to be visible to motorists when operating a speed camera. They normally choose to be easily seen as a deterrent to drivers travelling too fast.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Maybe he could argue that the roads speed limit is too slow, and should be set at the speed he feels comfortable with
David
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

They don't have to be visible - just the same as in the UK.

We probably have all gone a little over the speed limit at one time or another so not preaching
but the AA in the UK put it quite nicely:

"Just because you didn’t see a speed camera clearly doesn’t mean the fine is invalid. They aren't there
to be spotted and dodged - the point of them is to encourage drivers to stick within the speed limit."

Cheers

Steve
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Without a shadow of a doubt, I have broken speed limits both here in Scotland and in Cyprus too. I have been 'lucky . . . . .touch wood, up until now.

If I had been caught, of course I'd have been cheesed off but, I would/and will pay up if caught. It's simple as!

My daughter was horrified a few years ago by cops 'hiding behind a bush' here in Inverness and her two brothers and Dad took great delight in rubbing her nose in it about being caught because each and every one of them also had tickets issued!

I hasten to add. . . . . None of my family were doing crazy speeds at all. They were all caught during specific speeding initiative police 'drives.' Pardon the pun.

I do not condone speeding in any way at all but, sometimes, just sometimes you can see the road clearly ahead for half a mile, no-one else around and your foot just presses the accelerator. Well, mine does.

I do definitely watch out for bushes though. 😂😁🤔

Maggie
WHL

Post by WHL »

Going to work today the police were out and about with their speed guns, going on the highway, there was a police car with the copper pointing his gun, lots of on coming cars flashing to warn us, so naturally we all slow down, so far so good, I have always wondered why the Police don't outsmart us and have another speed trap further up, as all the cars speed up once past the police, well today for the first time in over thirty years of living here, they did just that, as we passed the first police crew, we all sped up, went round the bend and there was another police crew, no time to slow down and cars were being pulled over,,,, Im sure some will say that just isn't cricket :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I just stick the cruise control on when I'm on the motorway and never been stopped.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Also don't forget to look out for speed traps situated under some motorway bridges -another favourite spot!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That's because it keeps the policemen cool in the shade :-)
Trev..