Compulsory card payment change worries small businesses

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Compulsory card payment change worries small businesses

Post by Paphos Life »

Although a positive move, making card payments a compulsory transaction option might create a number of issues for smaller shop owners, their union Povek said on Monday....

Read the article and chat about it below...
WHL

Re: Compulsory card payment change worries small businesses

Post by WHL »

Its a very simple and cheap process to acquire a card machine, the only problem they have is. they will now have to show what they are taking at the till, and wont be able to avoid paying the right amount of Tax.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

They will, but they will not be able to say Cash only.

I don't mind paying cash, but as banks are getting scarce in rural areas to obtain cash is only by using those yellow cash points, they have high charges for their use and I don't see why I have to pay those charges to give any business large or small a chance to avoid paying tax
David
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Uncle D wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:34 am They will, but they will not be able to say Cash only.

I don't mind paying cash, but as banks are getting scarce in rural areas to obtain cash is only by using those yellow cash points, they have high charges for their use and I don't see why I have to pay those charges to give any business large or small a chance to avoid paying tax
I agree! I see people using those machines and wonder if they realise there is a charge. I've never used one so have no idea if it tells you beforehand.
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

There are no charges if you use a Revolut card to withdraw cash from the yellow atms
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

For me, personally I’m more likely to spend in a local / smaller shop as its saves faffing around with cash when I can just pay with my watch.

Also where we take our dog for grooming has now got one of the Sumup card payment systems, absolute doddle to use, you can an emailed receipt and it’s a one off fee of £35 for the device for the shop rather than the more expensive devices. Much better than trying it make sure we had the right cash for her.

Definitely helps with impulse chocolate purchases😂

Ian
WHL

Post by WHL »

nholleran wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:03 am They will still take the cash WHL
Standing behind people in bakeries etc, I'm surprised at how many people choose to pay using their phone for a couple of euro coffee take out, rather then cash. especially the younger ones.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

PolemIan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:31 pm For me, personally I’m more likely to spend in a local / smaller shop as its saves faffing around with cash when I can just pay with my watch.

Ian
I thought that the barter system stopped with introduction of coins 😀
David
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

PolemIan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:31 pm Also where we take our dog for grooming has now got one of the Sumup card payment systems, absolute doddle to use, you can an emailed receipt and it’s a one off fee of £35 for the device for the shop rather than the more expensive devices.
Plus 1.95% per transaction for the groomer and 1 - 3 days before they receive the funds.

I agree that businesses often benefit from taking cards - but there is a cost to be passed on. It is
more convenient for many customers - just don't agree with making it a legal requirement when
it should be a business decision.

Cheers

Steve
Ams

Post by Ams »

PolemIan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:31 pm For me, personally I’m more likely to spend in a local / smaller shop as its saves faffing around with cash when I can just pay with my watch.

Ian
I believe I can pay with my Fitbit, which would make life much easier, but I've never tried it (nor with my phone for that matter). Does using your watch work ok? Does it work in most place and do shops tend to know what you're doing?

Thanks
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Ams,

You can use ApplePay on an Apple watch, or iPhone with any shop that has a contactless card payment device. I can’t remember the last time I used a physical card here since I started using Apple. Most U.K. cards now support ApplePay. Here you can add Hellenic abd BoC cards totiur virtual wallet, but Not Alpha Bank whose launch was delayed during Covid.

Ian
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

What bothers me is there is too much reliability on mobile phones - lose it or have it stolen and most people have no idea how to access so many important things. I'm wondering what is going to happen with a simple thing like parking the car! Occasionally use a card for purchases but as I have said before I don't like the idea of anyone tracking my spending habits.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

How many people have lost folded money or a wallet / purse in the past? Have you ever been stuck behind a person that’s loaded a months shopping on the supermarket belt and it’s been scanned through only to find they forgot their wallet / purse?

It’s the same shit different day?!
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

mouse wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:45 pm Faffing around with cash ? Huh ! The other day I went into paps , got stuck behind a guy faffing around with his phone to find his safe pass and then the girl checking could not read it because it had come up too small ! Then on the checkout a different guy couldn't make his phone or the app or whatever work, I got cross with him and he ended up paying cash.
The other week I wanted the balance on my account , the internet banking wouldn't let me in ! I ended up driving into the village and getting a statement from the machine ! This technology is brilliant , WHEN IT WORKS !
For me, personally I find cash a nuisance, maybe it’s a man thing about having to carry house keys, car keys, masks, wallet, phone etc etc and my pockets are overflowing, and I refuse to carry a man bag so the fewer things I have to stuff in my bulging pockets the better. Hence the term “faffing about”.

Of course I still use cash but it’s nice to have the option and not have to worry about “do I need cash” every time we go into town and then be really pissed off when I realise I’ve forgotten to go to the ATM or can’t easily park near the bank. Or when we go out for a meal having to femme r if certain places on,y take cash so we need to make sure we enough with us.

For me the watch / mobile option is perfect, is not dependent on being online at the point of sale and is way more secure than handing over a card.

For those who have U.K. cards, there are other logistical benefits at card expiry / renewal which was huge benefit when cards were seriously delayed in the lost to Cyprus during COVID because of how the ApllePay reveal process work. I’m more in control of the security of the cards, have notifications of transactions and geolocation details for each one as well.

Ok I’m a bit of a techno geek and it won’t be for everyone, but according to my ex banking colleagues back in the U.K., the uptake of such tech is gathering pace. Last year globally cash was only used for around 20% of all transactions, with mobile digital wallets, such as ApplePay, exceeding cash.

We forget sometimes how much things have changed, remember swipes to imprint card details on paper for payments, then card readers and PIN codes, then contactless, then increased limits on contactless, Oyster cards for travel on London Transport - can’t remember the last time I saw someone pay for a tube ticket with cash.

Now if only the trolleys at Lidl didn’t need a coin…..😂

Ian
WHL

Post by WHL »

PolemIan wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:13 pm
mouse wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:45 pm Faffing around with cash ? Huh ! The other day I went into paps , got stuck behind a guy faffing around with his phone to find his safe pass and then the girl checking could not read it because it had come up too small ! Then on the checkout a different guy couldn't make his phone or the app or whatever work, I got cross with him and he ended up paying cash.
The other week I wanted the balance on my account , the internet banking wouldn't let me in ! I ended up driving into the village and getting a statement from the machine ! This technology is brilliant , WHEN IT WORKS !
For me, personally I find cash a nuisance, maybe it’s a man thing about having to carry house keys, car keys, masks, wallet, phone etc etc and my pockets are overflowing, and I refuse to carry a man bag so the fewer things I have to stuff in my bulging pockets the better. Hence the term “faffing about”.

Of course I still use cash but it’s nice to have the option and not have to worry about “do I need cash” every time we go into town and then be really pissed off when I realise I’ve forgotten to go to the ATM or can’t easily park near the bank. Or when we go out for a meal having to femme r if certain places on,y take cash so we need to make sure we enough with us.

For me the watch / mobile option is perfect, is not dependent on being online at the point of sale and is way more secure than handing over a card.

For those who have U.K. cards, there are other logistical benefits at card expiry / renewal which was huge benefit when cards were seriously delayed in the lost to Cyprus during COVID because of how the ApllePay reveal process work. I’m more in control of the security of the cards, have notifications of transactions and geolocation details for each one as well.

Ok I’m a bit of a techno geek and it won’t be for everyone, but according to my ex banking colleagues back in the U.K., the uptake of such tech is gathering pace. Last year globally cash was only used for around 20% of all transactions, with mobile digital wallets, such as ApplePay, exceeding cash.

We forget sometimes how much things have changed, remember swipes to imprint card details on paper for payments, then card readers and PIN codes, then contactless, then increased limits on contactless, Oyster cards for travel on London Transport - can’t remember the last time I saw someone pay for a tube ticket with cash.

Now if only the trolleys at Lidl didn’t need a coin…..😂

Ian
They dont ask the cashier and tbey will give you a plastic token to use for the trolley
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Local pharmacy gave me a gadget which I keep on the keyring that has a coin shaped end which I just push in and it releases the trolley - then I return it to my purse. Often given out by businesses as a means of free advertising.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

In the pub today for my luncheon. A chap had a one pint and paid by card!
All things are possible
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

I know about the tokens WHL, I was making a nerd joke🤓. I got one, and the ones Rock Fm had to raise charity funds for few months ago which never work in Lidl for me. Bulk of our shopping is at Alpha Mega so no issues there😂