Big fire between Simou and Giolou

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Big fire between Simou and Giolou

Post by Dominic »

Helicopters and fire engines on scene. Huuuuuge amounts of smoke. We thought the hill behind the Tulip Hills was on fire originally but it is between Giolou and Simou. Wind blowing in the direction of Polemi though, so all the smoke is coming over here.

https://www.paphoslife.com/news/giolou-fire-210919
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
The Aquila

Re: Big fire between Simou and Giolou

Post by The Aquila »

Two fires broke out in Paphos district for still unknown reasons.

The first fire broke out in Simou community of Polis Chrysochous and is threatening large areas of greenery.

The second fire is in Giolou and it is near inhabited areas.

The Fire Services are assisted by the two helicopters Kamov 32 that the Republic is renting but the winds in the area do not help their work.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/two-fir ... -district/
Paul

Post by Paul »

I was working in the court yard building a new canopy; I thought the smoke ring I was burning to keep flies away was a bit strong.

Then I noticed small bits of ash dropping out of the air.

I am in Choulou

This went on for a quite long time!

Paul
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

The helicopters are out there again this morning, I believe that 8 square kilometers has been affected.
Hounds on Holiday's business is destroyed, loads of people rushed to get the dogs out, all are safe I understand
David
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Last edited by trevnhil on Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Hounds on Holiday's dogs are all safe, however Mina's property has suffered a lot of damage. There is a fundraiser for her which has been shared on Facebook. Horrible times.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I would have thought if they were a business they would have the appropriate insurance.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I didn't even think of that to be honest.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Sunday fire was man made, fire service says

The fire in Paphos villages of Yiolou and Simou which saw some residents evacuated on Sunday evening was started by human hand, fire services spokesman Andreas Kettis said on Monday.

“From early indications it looks like the fire was not accidental, it’s important to tell things as they are,” he told state broadcaster CyBC on Monday. He said it began in five different places.

“No arrests have yet been made but police and firefighters are looking into the causes of the fire and there are clear signs that it was man-made, since the location where the fire originated from is not inhabited.”

Answering suggestions reporting that the incident was provoked by hunters who started the fire in order to force some birds to move to areas where hunting is allowed, Kettis said that it was still unconfirmed but did not completely rule out the scenario.

He also added that firefighters will remain in the area throughout the next days to prevent any possible fires from resuming.

The fire was brought under control on Sunday evening but broke out again in one area overnight so fire fighting aircraft were used at first light to put it out.

On Sunday, Kettis said on Twitter that the decision to evacuate residents from villages affected by the fire was taken as a precautionary measure.

The blaze, which raged on two fronts in difficult to reach areas between Yiolou and Miliou, as well as Simou and Drymou, burned a total of eight square kilometres of dry vegetation, wild shrub and trees.

Additionally, the fire damaged livestock farms, agricultural areas and the outside areas of some people’s homes, mostly in Yiolou and Drymou, along with equipment in the vicinity.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/09/20/sund ... vice-says/
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Mina from 'Hounds on Holiday' in Giolou wishes it to be known that , somehow, the Kennels survived the Fires so it is 'Business as usual' for her and any for anyone with Dogs booked. All the Dogs were taken to safety, thank goodness. She, herself, has written in 'Facebook' of this fact.
Ruth x

Qui Me Amat, Amet et canem meum
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There are lots of recommended insurers in the Insurance directory:

https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/category/insurance

Everybody, and especially businesses, should have proper insurance.