No news day tomorrow

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Wallace

No news day tomorrow

Post by Wallace »

As a reader of Cyprus Mail, it always frustrates me that it does not publish on Bank Holidays and every Monday.
I know that it is available on line, but it is not (for me) the same as a trip to the Kiosk for my daily read! Are there parallels elsewhere?
Is it because of the unions, or are there other reasons?
Wallace

Re: No news day tomorrow

Post by Wallace »

Aquila
I take it on principal you do not shop on Public Holidays,
Newspapers provide a public service, just like other areas, and are also in business to make money.

I asked if unlike other publications there is a reason?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Wallace,
I feel as you do. I also enjoy reading the Cyprus Mail and buy it most days. It is a pity that it isn't published every Monday, as Greek newspapers are and on some of the public holidays, excepting the more important ones like Easter, Christmas, and Epiphany. The trade unions are all powerful here doing their best to run the country their way.
Dee
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

As far as I know there is a Cyprus Mail today. Most of the time the day AFTER a public holiday there isn't a newspaper.
Louise :)
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:00 am As far as I know there is a Cyprus Mail today. Most of the time the day AFTER a public holiday there isn't a newspaper.
Which makes sense as it is the religious public holidays that are enforced rigidly. And for once I don't think you can blame the Unions otherwise they would have everything including restaurants closed. This one is down to the prevailing power of the Church.

Pete
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, the Mail was published today. Won't be one tomorrow. Maybe there may be one on Sunday....