What a lovely air after that thunderstorm...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

What a lovely air after that thunderstorm...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The first thunderstorm after that hot summer a couple of hours ago brought such a lovely air and smell, a second one is on it's way the next hour or so..
Also very good for my solar modules which are much cleaner now!

Max
trevnhil

Re: What a lovely air after that thunderstorm...

Post by trevnhil »

We had a bit of a downpour with the Thunderstorm as well. Sadly our dog is frightened of Thunder, but I cuddled him on the bed :-)
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Well, it accumulated to 12 liter/m2 rain at my place which is quite good for the time of the year...and I am only 8 km away from your place in Polemi.

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I still felt the need to water pot plants this morning
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We had a light shower this morning in Chloraka, so I did not have to water the garden plants.
All things are possible
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Well, we got one here in Mosfiloti with exactly 30.0 mm of rain, starting at 11:46 and ending at 12:40. The maximum rain rate was 1.80 mm/min at 12;04. The first lightning strike was at 11:36 and the last one for the same storm was at 13:10, with 249 strikes within 15 km during that time, three or four strikes at less than 0.5 km (two sounding directly overhead).

Since that storm passed, we have heard sporadic distant rumbles, measured at 20 to 40 km distance.

To avoid any confusion, most strikes are minor discharges within a cloud, they are not necessarily down to ground level. Unfortunately, I don't have the means of measuring the intensity or direction of a strike.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Max, I so so remember that 'clearing of the air' and the fresh smell after the rain. I actually feel it in Scotland sometimes too.

Living in Cyprus taught me so much about extremes of weather and I loved NEARLY all of it. When I left Scotland to live there, I was petrified of thunderstorms. Following Paphos (especially 2006), I now love thunderstorms with a passion. ❤❤❤

Maggie B

PS However, in 2006 it was bad. . . . . and there were fatalities which was horrendous for the local area.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Maggie B wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:55 pm Max, I so so remember that 'clearing of the air' and the fresh smell after the rain. I actually feel it in Scotland sometimes too.

Living in Cyprus taught me so much about extremes of weather and I loved NEARLY all of it. When I left Scotland to live there, I was petrified of thunderstorms. Following Paphos (especially 2006), I now love thunderstorms with a passion. ❤❤❤

Maggie B

PS However, in 2006 it was bad. . . . . and there were fatalities which was horrendous for the local area.

Maggie B, this smell in Cyprus after the first rain, I think is quite unique, specially when you live in the countryside. This year there were more month without any rain since spring in my area.

I don't like lightnings when they come to close to the house as many times I loose the power when this happens. Like this strike in 2018 when it hit the power pole just 30 m from my place. However I like to photograph them when in the far distance which can be amazing. As it was already raining, I did that pic through the bedroom window...

Max
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Petrichor (/ˈpɛtrɪkɔːr/) is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil. The word is constructed from Greek petra (πέτρα), "rock", or petros (πέτρος), "stone", and īchōr (ἰχώρ), the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology.
Petrichor - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Petrichor