Thick rope?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Thick rope?

Post by Chaddy »

Can anyone please help on where i can get about 30 yards of very thick rope.A minimum of about one and a half inches thick.Thanks in advance,,,sorry about the sizes in imperial i,m way to past it for metric, :?
Jim B

Re: Thick rope?

Post by Jim B »

I always find One Stop stock everything and if they haven't got it they'll get it for you.
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

'-A minimum of about one and a half inches thick' - That's approaching 40mm!
That's some serious rope. I'd be very surprised if you'll find something like that in a DIY store.
Around Paphos, your best bet is likely to be a ships chandlers or marine supplies place, but make sure you're seated when asking for a price - rope that size tends to be very expensive.

Pete
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Paphos Pete wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:59 pm '-A minimum of about one and a half inches thick' - That's approaching 40mm!
That's some serious rope. I'd be very surprised if you'll find something like that in a DIY store.
Around Paphos, your best bet is likely to be a ships chandlers or marine supplies place, but make sure you're seated when asking for a price - rope that size tends to be very expensive.

Pete
Yes Pete,i am sure your right.When i finally locate some i will let you know the dreaded cost :(
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I would definitely think that a boat yard or a ships chandler will be your best bet.
While on holiday in UK recently, we visited Chatham historic boat yard. We were taken to visit the 'Ropery,' where marine mooring ropes were made historically. In fact they still have all the gear to make such ropes.
Can't see most DIY shops being able to get ropes like these.

Dee
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Apparently a hangmans rope was about 25mm thick so hopefully Chaddy has a less sinister reason for his request :lol:
RLK

Post by RLK »

Amazon have a selection, this is one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/jute-rope-twis ... I3ZG&psc=1
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Good old Amazon!
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

mouse wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 pm Hand rail I would guess ? The car tow rope I had was about that size.
Your correct mouse,its for a hand rail.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Might be worth contacting EDT Offshore in Limassol Port, they have have some old rope available. They are an offshore / ship owner and not a retailer but could be worth a shot?
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Finally got the rope from, as suggested a boat chandlers.Phaphos Pete it was 4.50euros per meter.At 25cm thick i thought was pretty reasonable.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is not too bad a price, especially bearing in mind what you want it for.
I think you mean 25mm though ;-)
Trev..
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

That's pretty good.

In my local chandlery, the cheapest plain white nylon mooring rope around the one inch diameter mark (25mm) is about £7.00 per meter.
For other types and styles, the price increases from this.

Pete
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Chaddy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:28 am
mouse wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 pm Hand rail I would guess ? The car tow rope I had was about that size.
Your correct mouse,its for a hand rail.
I hope you find it Chaddy. A really thick handrail rope will look so COOL.

Maggie B
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

He has found it ;-)
"Finally got the rope from, as suggested a boat chandlers.Phaphos Pete it was 4.50euros per meter.At 25cm thick i thought was pretty reasonable."
Trev..