Use of Ev chargers to be restricted

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mouse

Use of Ev chargers to be restricted

Post by mouse » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:25 am

In the mail today in the UK as from may 2022 ev chargers are to be switched off during peak periods. They really know how to encourage people to change to electric. The article goes on to say those with a private driveway are ok as they can charge at night, no mention if you can't park outside your house and it's half a mile to the closest charge point. These measures are required as the transport minister is concerned about power outages. The question of where the extra 18gigawatt load on the national grid that will be caused by going electric has been made in parliament but no sensible answer has been forth coming.
Apparently they need to build an extra 3 Hinckley size power stations , as yet they havnt broken ground !
So how long before electricity supplied to ev chargers will carry a " power station" tax ?
Well good luck to all those in the UK as the government " CHAOS " policy seems to be progressing well ! Seems my idea to go and hide in the deep forest has gained great credibility recently.
Ps many UK policies are a mirror of eu policies so we will get some of this fun too !

Happy in Cyprus

Re: Use of Ev chargers to be restricted

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:02 pm

In next to no time they'll go on to road pricing, Mouse, so you'll pay by the mile. They can't afford to lose the revenue (petrol tax + VAT) they currently reap from the sale of petrol. Article in yesterday's ST says that already, even before winter starts, electric supplies in the UK are topping out and a bit precarious and for that reason they have coal-fired power stations on standby. Problem is that so much of the UK's generation (29% I think) is by wind...and when the wind stops blowing you're up the proverbial.

Article also said that at times of peak demand, electricity supply for car charging will be limited. Whole chunks of the day (6 or 7 hours at a time) you won't be permitted to charge, and even when you are allowed to, there could be a half-hour delay before the current flows. All controlled by government by smart meters. They cannot, and will not, allow car charging to be a consumer-controlled excercise.

Kili01

Post by Kili01 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:03 pm

I'm in the UK at present and quite honestly already things are going wrong such as the continued shortage of HGV drivers, which is leading to all sorts of delays on deliveries to shops and supermarkets. And also blamed for driver shortages among bus drivers. Seeing empty, or near empty shelves even in the biggest of the supermarkets, are just one. But other types of shops are similarly affected..
Yes, the Govt are still harping on about everyone needing to buy an electric vehicle, and hinting about more road pricing in the probably (not to distant) future. But as ever this current Cabinet are woffling on about raising taxes. Nothing yet mentioned publically about restricted hours for the charging of electric vehicles, or what will happen to owners of such vehicles who don't have a private driveway- as so many people haven't.
One piece of good news this morning, after several weeks or shall we/shan't we, is that it seems that now kids are already back at school, the Govt has finally decided to include children from 12 to 15 yrs in the vaccine rollout,
But it all paints a regrettable picture of a country getting ready to descending into chaos.
Poor old Britain, no longer great.
Dee

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:09 pm

The new Nuclear power station in Angelsey has been cancelled as Hitachi pulled out and the UK depends on France providing electricity as it depends on Norway to supply gas. Brown Outs were predicted several years ago basically because of the lack of generating plants and also Nuclear plants reaching their decommissioning dates. The coal fired stations on standby are polluting the atmosphere due to the fact they need to be producing steam even if they're not producing electricity.
The government ha promised something it can't deliver and Cyprus is in a similar position.

Devil

Post by Devil » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:14 pm

Jim B wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:09 pm
The government ha promised something it can't deliver and Cyprus is in a similar position.
Cyprus is in a worse position than the UK. A succession of ignorant "experts" in the government and, worse still, in Parliament has left the country in an unenviable position. I don't need to go through the litany of constant delays and errors to describe the fact that we are, to put it colloquially, in the Skit. However, the difference is that – in the distant future – we shall be relying on the sun for most of our energy to charge our cars when we get home at night (oops! I forgot the sun no longer shines at night!). The most logical solution would be to buy electricity from Turkey but such a solution becomes less logical when that name is mentioned. Dammit, even the name Kemel Ataturk sends shivers down the spine of the Minister of education and he knows as much about electricity generation and transmission as he does about Turkish history.

Termites Dream

Post by Termites Dream » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:11 pm

I posted an article in Environmental and Renewable section yesterday.

I found this section from the article I posted quite extraordinary.

"In the UK, energy regulator Ofgem is planning to make EV uptake more attractive to consumers by making it possible for drivers to sell electricity stored in their car batteries back to the power grid when demand is at peak levels.

Ofgem is optimistic that if enough new EV drivers take part in the scheme, they could make money by selling energy and allow the U.K. to avoid developing new power plants by providing the same amount of energy generation of up to 10 nuclear plants".

What I am astounded at, is somebody thinks they can replace up to 10 POWER STATIONS with battery packs in cars or am I wrong??

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:07 pm

I appreciate selling stored power back to the grid will help , but an estimated 18gigawatt ! Hmm perhaps not.
I'm sure there will be much taxation in the next decade. It also seems that for UK and eu they are going to make running a private transport as awkward and expensive as possible, it seems in the UK they have already tied up e-bikes and e-scooters with so much stuffy Victorian legislation it isnt worth having one !
All in all looking at how things are progressing it would give merit to the concept of " CHAOS " policy, this policy may be implemented by governments but is designed by a small group of gigarich , those who command massive corporations with a turnover greater than the GDP of many countries. Money is power ! So my plan to go and hide in the deep Estonian forest and live out my days seems bang on .
Dinosaur to the end !

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:08 am

As I've always said about politicians, they never think things through, partly because they know, deep down, that they're unlikely to be around in a few years time to face the consequences. Witness Boris's extravagant media soundbites pretending that the UK is a world leader in environmental policies. Witness that he took that Airbus 321 down to Cornwall (the one with the £900k Union Flag paint job) to attend a green conference and more recently up to Yorkshire. And he wants to spend €250 million on a Britannia replacement, so he and his chums can trundle around the world on flag-shagging pleasure cruises. Now where's the green in that?

But back to purely electric cars; I'd never buy one because once you do you're vulnerable to power outages of whatever nature and the whim of inept politicians.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:59 pm

Must agree I feel EVs have a long way to go before they match an ice car. So as soon as I can pick up a second hand ev for 1k then I might go for it . Even if I did have 20 to 30 grand like hell i would waste it on nothing more than a car !

darrow

Post by darrow » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:04 pm

So if you are working nights and want to charge your car when you arrive home, you won't be able to! Sounds good! , :oops: As usual, there will always be someone or some situation they won't have thought of.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:25 pm

And now, following the fire at a French electricity generator, imports from France are going to be down for the next three weeks. Could have been worse. These are the kinds of accidents, or natural cataclysmic events (eg. violent solar storms, nuclear stations blowing up, tsunami etc), or enemy action, which could bring all e-powered transport to a halt within 24 hours.

Absolute madness to put your trust into one source of energy supply, for which there is currently no storage facility, as there is with oil/petrol.

Devil

Post by Devil » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:40 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:25 pm
Absolute madness to put your trust into one source of energy supply,
You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:16 pm

Whilst I am not anti ev, I feel there are still too many downsides to converting most of the civilised world to a new system so suddenly. They are still far away from the ease and practicality of a tank of fuel. I have seen headlines for new battery technology that can charge in minutes , ok ! But if you have a 200kw battery then how much power will it need for those few minutes. I still feel that the best way to achieve the unrealistic targets being set is to dramatically reduce vehicle size and weight which will dramatically reduce battery size which in turn well help enormously with " how to power charging points " problems , whereas the fashion is for vehicles to get bigger and bigger . Seeing that something similar to a charging tax will emerge owning a big car i think will become very expensive.

Devil

Post by Devil » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:30 am

There is an example of a minimal weight/size car in the form of the Citroen 2CV. For economical reasons, it became the first car for a million French persons but it was also the butt of hundreds of jokes and cartoons. Today, an electric version of the 2CV would be a dismal failure. Buyers looking for a new car would want something slightly roomier, with Fido in the back, and more elegant.
eTMk9p5Ec[1].jpg
eTMk9p5Ec[1].jpg (69.41 KiB) Viewed 533 times

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:42 pm

When I suggested the compact car solution I didn't expect it to be considered viable, if you look about on the roads there is obviously plenty of money out there to purchase ever more expensive vehicles with ever higher spec and gagets, , because so long as your driving the latest spec/ shape model then who gives a damn about ecology ! And those who cant afford to keep up with this then they can take the bus or whatever its called.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:45 am

The current shenanigans with regard to escalating gas prices in the UK and elsewhere illustrates just how vulnerable the energy supply sector is. We can see the likely repercussions (CO2 and the food industry, livestock not being slaughtered, empty supermarket shelves, etc) from high gas prices.

Just imagine if it were electricity instead of gas...and folks couldn't go about their normal daily lives because of electricity shortages and 100% use of electric vehicles.

This is a timely object lesson in not being overly reliant on any one form of non-storable power supply!

Termites Dream

Post by Termites Dream » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:21 am

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:45 am
The current shenanigans with regard to escalating gas prices in the UK and elsewhere illustrates just how vulnerable the energy supply sector is. We can see the likely repercussions (CO2 and the food industry, livestock not being slaughtered, empty supermarket shelves, etc) from high gas prices.

Just imagine if it were electricity instead of gas...and folks couldn't go about their normal daily lives because of electricity shortages and 100% use of electric vehicles.

This is a timely object lesson in not being overly reliant on any one form of non-storable power supply!
The "shenanigans" are likely Russian.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/russia- ... etion.html

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:08 am

It's irrelevant as to the cause of energy price rises and restricted output.

The point I'm making is that it's inadvisable to drive a vehicle whose use is likely to be compromised when supplies become tight. Petrol is always available and each country stores vast reserves.

Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:27 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:08 am
It's irrelevant as to the cause of energy price rises and restricted output.

The point I'm making is that it's inadvisable to drive a vehicle whose use is likely to be compromised when supplies become tight. Petrol is always available and each country stores vast reserves.
Petrol won't last forever so it should be a mix of available supplies to provide electricity - some that will gradually improve over time as the technology develops.

Whilst at present petrol is available - its price can/has also been affected by restrictions and events on the ground just as at this time it's gas.

Consistency of electricity supply is imperative of course, but there shouldn't be a reliance on one source, and we need to look towards newer technologies using freely available sources unaffected by geopolitical events.

Cheers

Steve

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:06 pm

Termites Dream wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:21 am
The "shenanigans" are likely Russian.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/russia- ... etion.html

The government can't say they weren't warned. But then they never listen, do they :lol:

Screenshot_20210922-144803_Twitter.jpeg
Screenshot_20210922-144803_Twitter.jpeg (155.13 KiB) Viewed 233 times