Easyjet 8935 May 1st 2017 nightmare.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mockaji

Easyjet 8935 May 1st 2017 nightmare.

Post by mockaji »

Amazing rather large Guy says he's not feeling well 3+ hours out of Gatwick two passengers are moved, so he can have three seats to himself, no call is made for any Doctor on board. He complains further nearer Paphos and pilot decides to drop down into Dalaman Turkey, less than 30 mins from Paphos, 228 MILES. Woman in cardigan, with stethoscope round her neck comes on board and walks passenger off Flight!
Meanwhile captain says only 30 mins to Paphos not realizing nasty Turks will not let him fly direct to Paphos, so flight has to go to Athens then Paphos arriving 3hrs 45 mins late. With the return flight not leaving until 1500hrs today 2nd May, and passengers being put in hotels overnight. Removed passenger stuck in Turkey no doubt wondering how he's going to get to Cyprus. Our son was on the flight really annoyed about the amount of miss information being given to the passengers by a rather inept pilot.
As you expect the information for those collecting relatives at Paphos airport was useless, at least the Easyjet app was fairly accurate with expected flight times from Dalaman to Athens and Athens to Paphos, with flight stats available.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Easyjet 8935 May 1st 2017 nightmare.

Post by cyprusmax47 »

After the last incident April 1st with Easyjet, when it was bad weather the reason, one should believe that pilot and airline are aware of the Turkish rules in the meantime.
Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

But what else could the pilot do?

And a delay of 3hrs 45 minutes will mean your son gets compensation. I would have been annoyed if the delay had been 2hrs 45 minutes.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cant blame the airline, when its down to things out of their control.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 12:11 pm But what else could the pilot do?
And a delay of 3hrs 45 minutes will mean your son gets compensation. I would have been annoyed if the delay had been 2hrs 45 minutes.
Not sure about the compensation thing. However, If I were a passenger on EasyJet and suffering from a similar possible life-threatening condition to the affected passenger, at least I would have confidence that the pilot had my best interests at heart by seeking immediate medical attention, rather than worrying about whether the flight would be delayed and the attached disruption to personal travel arrangements.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 12:11 pm But what else could the pilot do?

I thought if the flight time from Dalaman to Paphos is normally 30 minutes the pilot could perhaps speeding up to do a emergency landing at Paphos airport. ( planes are already on descending mode in this area and need normally 30 minutes to land. In case of emergency sure they could straight come down from the West, avoiding the time wasting route from the east (Pissouri).
daveg

Post by daveg »

I was on that flight last night....yes an inconvenience,but better that than have somebody taken seriously ill because the pilot did not divert for fear of compensation claims..
I wouldn't dream of claiming compensation ,it was obviously not the airline's fault..
Have a bit of compassion and understanding, it could happen to any of us..
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

We were on that flight last night and I thought the crew dealt with it very well and kept us well informed. We were in row one and could see the crew in their jump seats. The young woman, who I think was in charge of the cabin, looked visibly tired but when she had to speak to the passengers was very professional.

What else could the captain do. Someone felt sufficiently unwell to warrant the diversion. I didn't see the incident but that man is now in a hospital in Turkey with no support and having to deal with illness and getting back home from a foreign country.

We were 25 minutes from Paphos and that is a long time if you are having a heart attack ( as we were told). The gentleman may have walked off of the plane because he was asked to it may not have been the best thing for him to do but easier for the people tasked with getting him off. I hope he is recovering well.

I thought everybody on the plane took it very well. Except for the gentleman that wanted to get off for a cigarette at Dalaman while we were refuelling (organised to save time). He was even angrier when he wasn't allowed off in Athens either☺ He got a bit aggressive towards the crew but again the young woman dealt with him very well when all she probably wanted to do was kick him off the plane with a packet of fags!

Someone asked the crew if they got overtime in these circumstances. They do not. Instead of being home last night they spent the night in an hotel. EJ has a plane and crew out of position today. The passengers waiting to take the return flight no doubt have had to be put up in an hotel. From memory I paid around £50 for this flight. Don't think EJ will have made much profit.

Shall I be claiming compensation. I don't think so. And if i, or my family, ever get taken ill on a plane I hope the pilot puts me first as this pilot did. Pat
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It is nice to hear people supporting the pilot. And having done a quick google, I don't think you can claim anyway, given the nature of the delay. It counts as an exceptional circumstance, and as such is exempt.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

RattyPatty wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 5:28 pm We were on that flight last night and I thought the crew dealt with it very well and kept us well informed. We were in row one and could see the crew in their jump seats. The young woman, who I think was in charge of the cabin, looked visibly tired but when she had to speak to the passengers was very professional.

What else could the captain do. Someone felt sufficiently unwell to warrant the diversion. I didn't see the incident but that man is now in a hospital in Turkey with no support and having to deal with illness and getting back home from a foreign country.

We were 25 minutes from Paphos and that is a long time if you are having a heart attack ( as we were told). The gentleman may have walked off of the plane because he was asked to it may not have been the best thing for him to do but easier for the people tasked with getting him off. I hope he is recovering well.

I thought everybody on the plane took it very well. Except for the gentleman that wanted to get off for a cigarette at Dalaman while we were refuelling (organised to save time). He was even angrier when he wasn't allowed off in Athens either☺ He got a bit aggressive towards the crew but again the young woman dealt with him very well when all she probably wanted to do was kick him off the plane with a packet of fags!

Someone asked the crew if they got overtime in these circumstances. They do not. Instead of being home last night they spent the night in an hotel. EJ has a plane and crew out of position today. The passengers waiting to take the return flight no doubt have had to be put up in an hotel. From memory I paid around £50 for this flight. Don't think EJ will have made much profit.

Shall I be claiming compensation. I don't think so. And if i, or my family, ever get taken ill on a plane I hope the pilot puts me first as this pilot did. Pat
Excellent and compassionate posting.

Compensation is not payable as this was out of the control of EJ
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

100% agreed, merhant_banker- a superb and emotive / compassionate post from RattyPatty, thanks...

This is twice this idiotic scenario has ocurred this year, from a country that is still trying to join the EU, fcs... They are hardly doing themselves any favours, are they?

What if a Turkish airliner én-route to Dalaman from somewhere in the Middle East or North East Africa encountered technical / weather / medical problems and needed to do an emergency landing at PFO or LCA? Where would they go from there, I wonder?

Your starter for 10, all conferring... ??? AL :?:

(My humble opinion: straight to Dalaman- and let's stop playing stupid life-threatening political games...)
Gone but not forgotten...
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Good to read the support for the pilot and crew.

I speak from my own experience on Easyjet when clear procedures were followed and the concern of pilot, crew and nurses among the passengers led to an immediate diversion which probably saved my life or at the minimum prevented any further damage occurring. Cost and inconvenience were not part of the decision making process.

Pete