50,000 ev charging points

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
JimX

Re: 50,000 ev charging points

Post by JimX »

Not about saving money although I agree it will not save anyone money as charging them will be expensive, IF you can find a charge point. Only this week a TV show highlighted this in the UK, but for sure this is the future, glad I doubt if I will be involved.
Jim.
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

A new estate has just been built behind our house in Wakefield and about 50% of them have charging points. However, Wakefield, like numerous other places, has a lot of very old terraced houses with no parking spaces, in front or behind the houses, and limited on-street parking, so car owners just park where they can, often in what could be described as communal lay-bys, on verges and pavements etc, so how they could charge cars in the future should prove interesting. In the cul-de-sac in which we live, 8 houses have a total of 17 cars between them, with 9 of them jockeying for the limited on-street spaces available, so a similar charging problem to that already outlined.

Finally, we changed our car very recently and seriously considered getting an electric one. However, despite being able to make a much more expensive sale to us, the salesman warned us that they have very little resale value when it comes to part exchanging, plus the cost of replacing the batteries is horrendous.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I did ask at Toyota the cost of replacement battery pack and was told over €6000.
Also Cyprus and the UK run close to maximum output during the peak periods so they'll have to get building additional Power Stations, at the moment the UK is building them to just to replace the ones being decommissioned.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't think I've ever read an article saying you should switch to electricity to save money. That's a strawman argument.

WHL, a strawman argument is where you deny a claim that hasn't been made. Specifically, it is a misrepresentation of an opinion or viewpoint, designed to be as easy as possible to refute. Just as a person made of straw would be easier to fight with than a real human, a straw man argument is easy to knock to the ground.

Here is a simple example:

Making a decision is a popular time for straw man arguments to arise. For example, imagine a husband and a wife are trying to decide whether they should adopt a dog or a cat.

Wife: I'd rather have a dog than a cat.

Husband: Why do you hate cats?
_______

In the case of the electric car, the straw man is essentially this:

Buyer: I want an electric car because I am worried about global warming and want to be environmentally friendly.

Sceptic: Don't kid yourself: electric cars won't save you money

Now, there may well be valid arguments against electric cars. I don't know, but something like this might have some traction:

Sceptic: when you consider the energy required to create the battery and generate the electricity, are they really that green?

That certainly wouldn't be a straw man.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
El tel

Post by El tel »

The irony is we will have to produce more North Sea gas to power the power stations to power the electric cars.

Ps my kettle has stopped boiling over !

Terry
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:58 pm I don't think I've ever read an article saying you should switch to electricity to save money. That's a strawman argument.

WHL, a strawman argument is where you deny a claim that hasn't been made. Specifically, it is a misrepresentation of an opinion or viewpoint, designed to be as easy as possible to refute. Just as a person made of straw would be easier to fight with than a real human, a straw man argument is easy to knock to the ground.

Here is a simple example:

Making a decision is a popular time for straw man arguments to arise. For example, imagine a husband and a wife are trying to decide whether they should adopt a dog or a cat.

Wife: I'd rather have a dog than a cat.

Husband: Why do you hate cats?
_______

In the case of the electric car, the straw man is essentially this:

Buyer: I want an electric car because I am worried about global warming and want to be environmentally friendly.

Sceptic: Don't kid yourself: electric cars won't save you money

Now, there may well be valid arguments against electric cars. I don't know, but something like this might have some traction:

Sceptic: when you consider the energy required to create the battery and generate the electricity, are they really that green?

That certainly wouldn't be a straw man.
Dominic, I dont think I commented on this thread :?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You didn't, but when I post something like "it is a strawman argument" you normally ask what I mean. I just saved you the bother. :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:56 am :shock: :shock: :shock:

I did not for one moment suggest that anyone should switch to electric cars to save money. What I simply said was:

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:58 am...there are other factors people need to be aware of before plunging head first into electric cars

What I posted was an article to inform/advise potential ev buyers, just as important as 2QuarterPints and Jim B's cautionary notes about resale values and the €6,000 cost of a replacement battery.

I'm not a gambling man but I'll lay money on it that Boris's 2030 cut-off date for selling petrol/diesel cars gets pushed back, and pushed back again once the realisation dawns of the scale of changes required...and the sheer impracticality of requiring EVERYONE to buy electric when the required infrastructures and generating capabilities aren't in place.

Nobody is saying you were suggesting that.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I have no idea why my text turned blue then.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:14 am You didn't, but when I post something like "it is a strawman argument" you normally ask what I mean. I just saved you the bother. :)
You would make a great Politician :lol:
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Dominic wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:16 am I have no idea why my text turned blue then.
it seems to happen to all paphos based forum admins…..

:lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The Aquila wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:23 am
Dominic wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:16 am I have no idea why my text turned blue then.
it seems to happen to all paphos based forum admins…..

:lol:
That and hair loss.