Kettles boiling over

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
El tel

Kettles boiling over

Post by El tel »

We are back in Cyprus and pleased to be here and I agree with previous comments made about have paperwork when you arrive it makes things much simpler. Over the years we have had problems with kettles in Cyprus boiling over ie the thermostat does not kick in its strange as it only appears to happen in Cyprus . Brought out a kettle from the U.K. and the same thing has happened to this one with boiling water all over the place . Am I just unlucky or is this a problem in Cyprus ?

Terry
trevnhil

Re: Kettles boiling over

Post by trevnhil »

We certainly have not had that happen to us in the 14 years we have been here
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Stop buying kettles from pound land :lol:
El tel

Post by El tel »

The previous two kettles were plastic with exposed elements and were bought in Cyprus . We always use a filter before putting the water in the kettle and had no problem with scale . They worked for some time before developing the problem. The latest kettle is stainless steel with a concealed element but we still filter the water . It was bought new a few weeks ago and we tested it before bringing it out. This has developed the problem within four days and it has just boiled over again with less than 50% of water in it. Can’t be altitude as we live in lower Peyia . Not much use having an automatic kettle when you have to stand over it and turn it off when it starts to boil !

Terry
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Some electric devices have problems in Cyprus with the high voltage we have from time to time. (near 250 v). Maybe it helps if you put just the amount of water you need to heat up. This way it is not only quicker but helps saving electricity costs....

Max
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Never had this problem, lived at high and low altitudes with various levels of water hardness.
Cheap kettles could be the problem
David
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We've never had the problem in Polemi, which is a higher altitude than Peyia.

Mind you, toasters not toasting properly, now that's something I can talk about.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

No problem here in Neo Chorio although I do notice that not much steam comes out prior to the kettle turning off. As for toasters, it seems to be a matter of luck and changing heating duration depending on bread choice.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Its been years, since some of our members kettle's ''whistled'' :lol:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sounds like the contacts on the thermostat are stuck together!
They may have arked are welded them selves together result no power shut off!
kansas

Post by kansas »

Our kettle only boils over when it's being descaled with diluted vinegar. I put a small amount of vinegar in the kettle and then add about two cupfuls of water from the tap, then switch it on. If I forget to stand over it to switch it off as it reaches boiling point, then it boils over, but that's the only time.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Our kettle only boils over when it's being descaled with diluted vinegar. I put a small amount of vinegar in the kettle and then add about two cupfuls of water from the tap, then switch it on. If I forget to stand over it to switch it off as it reaches boiling point, then it boils over, but that's the only time.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

Considering its a thermal device which cuts off the electrical supply when the liquid reaches boiling point I don't see how an increased voltage or build up of lime scale has an adverse effect on the kettle switching off. It would take a really thick build up of lime scale to have an effect on the temperature sensor.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Keep ur kettle dedicated. I use a mix of cheap white vinegar and water, bring to the boil and leave for 30 mins. Rinse.
darrow

Post by darrow »

That is supposed to say descaled! Predictive text!
daveg

Post by daveg »

Problem solved, use a kettle on a gas hob.......the whistle let's you know when boiled...What a racket!